• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

prahaladk

2012 2101 2102
So i'm in india right now and there is only one seller here for topping products in india called headphonezone and they said they only have a 2012 serial number would that be completely be safe to buy or should i wait for them to recieve a new batch

Diable

Unless you live outside of the US I don't see reason anyone would by this amp over the Atom or the Heresy. It can potentially kill your headphones, Topping openly lied about it's power rating (and still is if you check their website) and it's more experience then it's competitors.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Unless you live outside of the US I don't see reason anyone would by this amp over the Atom or the Heresy. It can potentially kill your headphones, Topping openly lied about it's power rating (and still is if you check their website) and it's more experience then it's competitors.
Ah ha.

Quomz

Amplifiers with the flaw have already been recalled and replaced. I don‘t think any retailer sells affected units anymore.

I don’t think it’s lying per say, but to be fair it‘s a bit unusual that L30 has a higher input sensitivity than most DACs typically provide. Makes L30 hard to clip on the other hand.

Guess Atom or Heresy are good alternatives like you suggest, you could have added Geshelli, no love for them?

Veri

Master Contributor
I like JDS a lot but the Atom is very plasticky in build. Heck I'd also change the knob with a more solid one myself. And Schiit availability is absolutely terrible in Europe. So yeah, Topping L30 current version has no real flaws, is available, is well built, and sounds very good to my ears. If you need more power, get a pricier amp :p for $120 it's really not a bad deal, the pre amp works very good too from my experience.

nathanpaulo

haven't seen anything serial number 2010 related but should i be worried with my unit? I purchased mine last December 2020 from Lazada (Philippines) and was wondering if it's eligible for a replacement as I've read older units are being replaced? and if so, if anyone has experience with it in the Ph that purchased one in a similar way and got theirs replaced, that would be loads helpful too.

3125b

Major Contributor
haven't seen anything serial number 2010 related but should i be worried with my unit?
2012 and higher (currently shipping 21XX depending on seller) are safe, 2010 is not and should be exchanged.

Hi,
I've recently got Topping D30 DAC and L30 headphone amp.
The D30 is working fine and the L30 is also working.

However, I have noticed that the 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) jack port of my L30 has a slight give to it when inserting a headphone into the amp or if I push the headphone jack a bit.

What I mean is that the headphone port doesn't seem to be solidly attached to the case and is a bit springy or soft and the jack port goes in about 1mm inside when pushed and then comes back to normal position.

There is no disruption or noise on the audio when the jack is pushed but I am not sure of the jack pot is supposed to be like this.

So does anyone else’s 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) jack port do this on their L30 or should I ask for mine to be replaced?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,
I've recently got Topping D30 DAC and L30 headphone amp.
The D30 is working fine and the L30 is also working.

However, I have noticed that the 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) jack port of my L30 has a slight give to it when inserting a headphone into the amp or if I push the headphone jack a bit.

What I mean is that the headphone port doesn't seem to be solidly attached to the case and is a bit springy or soft and the jack port goes in about 1mm inside when pushed and then comes back to normal position.

There is no disruption or noise on the audio when the jack is pushed but I am not sure of the jack pot is supposed to be like this.

So does anyone else’s 6.35mm (1/4 Inch) jack port do this on their L30 or should I ask for mine to be replaced?
That doesn't seem right. Ask for replacement.

Veri

Master Contributor

Umm, my 2012+ replacement unit does the same thing. I can push the port in for couple mm, but that does nothing. It does not seem to impact/affect anything. But yes mine does this. @JohnYang1997 sure this is a defect? :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 6.3mm connector is not attached to the case but only to the PCB inside so can move a tiny bit. As long as there is no audible effect and the movement is small it'll probably be O.K.
The volume control is mounted to the chassis but even that can have a little 'play'.

Thalis

Got my 2101 replacement... all great but one comment... volume pot feels a little mushy compared to my old one.

Umm, my 2012+ replacement unit does the same thing. I can push the port in for couple mm, but that does nothing. It does not seem to impact/affect anything. But yes mine does this. @JohnYang1997 sure this is a defect? :p

Thanks @Veri

@JohnYang1997 my L30 serial starts with 2101 if that helps

I will see if can record a video of this jack port issue.

Again it doesn't seem to effect anything now but I am not sure if it might have any effect long term, like the port becoming loose from the PCB or something?

(Though I do have 2 years warranty from the UK vendor Electromod)

Top Bottom