• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

ngs428

@JohnYang1997 is the ESD fix being retrofitted into 2012 serial number units or will all all units with the ESD fix have a later serial number than 2012, possibly 2102?

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1611286552583.png

Blizz

So... How we know if we have a 2012 with or without the ESD correction? All 2012 will have the ESD fix?
I don't think 2012 models will not have the fix from what I understand. He wasn't talking about the 2012 batch but rather the 2101 batch (batch after the 2012 batch.) To help clear up some of the confusion in the thread @JohnYang1997 can you please answer and confirm a few things I've been thinking.
  1. Requested replacements from authorized resellers will be January 2101 batch and will have ESD protection and no power supply.
  2. Will new buyers receive the partially fixed 2012 version? If so when will new buyers also receive ESD protection.
  3. Is the ESD protection in the 2101 version finalized? Or will it be further refined?

Don't know if this is entirely accurate and hope John can clear some of this up. Thank you John and everyone at Topping for the efforts with the L30 replacement program.

Last edited:

thomz6

I've repaired manyyy electronic units that had water damage from being placed under or near planters that overflowed with when watering them. :D

ahah at least maybe that my headphones 300ohms are safer now :D with this micro climate and its high humidity rate against static electricity

liu

As far as I know all stock Topping has is fitted with the ESD modification which is simple and does not require a new PCB.
I had the same feeling. Seems the only difference between O2 and this one is O2's motherboard's ground is connected to the aluminum enclosure. Probably topping just need to ground theirs as well. Do you know what exactly needs to be done? So people with the 2012 batch can double check if this fix is being applied.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The test would be to check if there is very little resistance between the RCA shield and metal enclosure screw on the back of the amp.
When that is connected you are 'safe' from ESD.

So easy to test but requires a multimeter.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Topping said grounding the case was enough.

The case is electrically connected to the volpot because the metal part of the front panel is 'connected' to the enclosure which is grounded.
The volpot shaft is electrically connected to the frontpanel when the nut is tightend.
Have no idea if there is any anodizing in the way of a good contact.
EMC tests on this modified version have shown that was sufficient.
All the 2012 in the warehouse have been modified this way.

C0B-1D3-9

Topping said grounding the case was enough.

The case is electrically connected to the volpot because the metal part of the front panel is 'connected' to the enclosure which is grounded.
The volpot shaft is electrically connected to the frontpanel when the nut is tightend.
Have no idea if there is any anodizing in the way of a good contact.
EMC tests on this modified version have shown that was sufficient.
All the 2012 in the warehouse have been modified this way.
What will be their protection against voltages on 2102 batches?

ngs428

APOS got back to me today to mention they hope to have the replacement (ESD + DC fixed) shipped out early next week from Shenzhen. I would be happy if that is the case! :)

Top Bottom