• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Got an e-mail message from Topping Sales manager, apparently they'll ship me the replacement over DHL. Sounds good.. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@solderdude As always thanks very much.
Will that toast any kind/type of earphones, iems, headphones etc2 irrespective of their specs/sensitivity etc2?

It toasted dynamic over ears of mine, read about some IEM etc. I would follow toppings advice and request replacement unit regardless of headphones you use.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It toasted dynamic over ears of mine, read about some IEM etc. I would follow toppings advice and request replacement unit regardless of headphones you use.

Sorry to hear it damaged/toasted a pair of your cans.

I bought mine after the review came out but never got around to using it. I was about to set it up when I came across the defects noted in this thread. I'm lucky that I didn't use it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I thought it was esd and dc protection.

The ESD issue is the cause for blowing up the OPA opamp inside.
This would be annoying (and lead to complaints about the L30's failing) IF the DC protection had worked properly when this specific type of failure occurred.
It was the DC protection (not DC power supply or wallwart) failing to detect a huge DC on the amps output under these conditions.
The DC protection (I assume) works well when the output of the amp would only register DC.
However, the protection did not work in this specific failure mode. That part needed fixing aside from the ESD issue.

So the DC protection fix was implemented in 2012 version. Meaning even when ESD would have destroyed the OPA opamp inside the amp would simply not work anymore but headphones are protected. No more dead headphones.

Later the source of the ESD destroying the OPA opamp was confirmed by Topping (with higher than the norm test levels applied) and the fix for that was grounding the enclosure, and thereby also the potmeter shaft as that is screwed down onto the enclosure.

Let's put it this way... if the enclosure was grounded from day one ESD would never have been able to kill the OPA, no headphones would have been fried and the failure mode of the DC protection, in this particular failure mode, would never have been discovered.

The L30 is a very SAFE headphone amp from serial number 2012 and higher.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear it damaged/toasted a pair of your cans.

I bought mine after the review came out but never got around to using it. I was about to set it up when I came across the defects noted in this thread. I'm lucky that I didn't use it.
Water under the bridge now. Fingers crossed lessons learned all over.

Nango

Major Contributor
Wait .....it does feature de euro C E certified so this is impossible to happen ..... Unless the C E was a fake certificate???

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It may well have passed E.U. regulations for ESD.
That may have been only necessary to be tested up to +/-8kV where the destruction of the opamps took a +/-15kV test to which it did not have to apply.

Nango

Major Contributor
Otherwise such a well renowned corp will certainly make soon a report telling us what happened and how this could happen........I am sure they will!!!

Last edited:

enomiss

The ESD issue is the cause for blowing up the OPA opamp inside.
This would be annoying (and lead to complaints about the L30's failing) IF the DC protection had worked properly when this specific type of failure occurred.
It was the DC protection (not DC power supply or wallwart) failing to detect a huge DC on the amps output under these conditions.
The DC protection (I assume) works well when the output of the amp would only register DC.
However, the protection did not work in this specific failure mode. That part needed fixing aside from the ESD issue.

So the DC protection fix was implemented in 2012 version. Meaning even when ESD would have destroyed the OPA opamp inside the amp would simply not work anymore but headphones are protected. No more dead headphones.

Later the source of the ESD destroying the OPA opamp was confirmed by Topping (with higher than the norm test levels applied) and the fix for that was grounding the enclosure, and thereby also the potmeter shaft as that is screwed down onto the enclosure.

Let's put it this way... if the enclosure was grounded from day one ESD would never have been able to kill the OPA, no headphones would have been fried and the failure mode of the DC protection, in this particular failure mode, would never have been discovered.

The L30 is a very SAFE headphone amp from serial number 2012 and higher.

Usually these types of products are the best among their kind after several improvements.

Personally, I often prefer to buy products that have been addressed with improvements over products with no story.

Companies under a magnifying glass make superb products. If it was not for the critical hifi audience, it would probably never have found its significance on the internet.

To me, Topping shows commitment and ambition.

I hope we will not stop recommending this amazing amp. I love mine and I will love my replacement. Thanks Topping.

Last edited:

Tim M

Is there a way to tell apart the 2012 model that has the ESD fix vs the 2012 model that does not?

The test would be to check if there is very little resistance between the RCA shield and metal enclosure screw on the back of the amp.
When that is connected you are 'safe' from ESD.

So easy to test but requires a multimeter.

Is there a way to automate this?

NgtFlyer

Put your multimeter in continuity mode. Place one lead on the rca shield and the other on the enclosure screw. According to the above post, if your meter beeps and indicates low to no resistance, the unit is safe from ESD.

I need to test my 2005 unit and just see if this is the case. I am still going to have it replaced but I am just curious and I have a multimeter handy.

NgtFlyer

Also, I just contacted Hifi Collage through Amazon to arrange for my replacement L30.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Topping just needs to integrate the placing of the wire/contact in the production process when the board is shoved and mounted into the enclosure.
Sure this could be automated but for the batch amount it is more likely someone checks by hand or even randomly picks one to test.
The enclosure is anodized so on has to make an effort to make contact with the enclosure. This is probably the reason why it wasn't done to begin with, for easy assembly.
It's sorted now and at Topping they will make sure all L30 will be properly grounded.

Yasuo

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for some time and decided to make an account as I've bought this amp at the end of November. I wish we have a bit more clarity regarding the 2012 model (I guess anyone wants the one with both fixes).

My problem with the amp is that I'm not using it - no irony here, just wanted something good for those rare instances when I listen to music on my "home" headphones (I usually use speakers or BT headphones). I still want the amp albeit I'm not a everyday user, its price/performance ratio is incredible (bough the E30 DAC along with it).

I have contacted Amazon and the seller has offered me a replacement unit, but I'm also able to return the current one before the 1st of February hence I'm a bit confused regarding on what might be the best option. I have no problem in waiting a month or two if they can confirm that a unit from the next batch will be sent (whatever serial number that will be).

Nango

Major Contributor
I have no problem in waiting a month or two if they can confirm that a unit from the next batch will be sent (whatever serial number that will be).

...... and if they offered a replace promising "this one is free of any issues" you still and again would trust them ...... do I see it right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom