• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

@JohnYang1997
  • Within the replacement program, is it possible to add a note that one is willing to wait for an ESD fixed version to be send out as preplacement?
  • Are you first cleaning 2012 stock for the replacements and do you continue to produce the non ESD fixed version until the fix is introduced in the manufacturing process?
I think a lot of people are very happy with the replacement program (I appreciate it a lot), but the same people are bit disappointed that they are still getting a version without the ESD fix.
With a warranty of only 1 year, I don't really understand your previous comment where you said it doesn't really matter if the L30 breaks, because you can get a replacement unit anyway. Most of us are probably hoping to use this device for several more years...

Maybe ask people that are requesting a replacement if they are willing to wait for an ESD version to be shipped to them?

Hi John, I'm not very technical so this may be a stupid question. Do you know if this ESD problem will damage the active speaker if I'm using the L30 as a preamp? I know with the 2012 batch, we have a protection on the headphone, I'm just wondering if the same protection will work for the speakers as well.

Thanks.

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Hi John, I'm not very technical so this may be a stupid question. Do you know if this ESD problem will damage the active speaker if I'm using the L30 as a preamp? I know with the 2012 batch, we have a protection on the headphone, I'm just wondering if the same protection will work for the speakers as well.

Thanks.
The same protection works in preamp mode.

Hi! My E30/L30 stack is connected to an Yamaha receiver by RCA as a preamp. The receiver is properly grounded. Is there a risk on that setup?
There is a path to ground through the RCA cable to the Yamaha. So in your case, don't rub your clothes with balloons or shuffle your feet on the carpet before adjusting your L30's volume control :)

As I understand it, while possible, the likelihood of the failures is very low. Use common sense and care and you should be OK. Still, take advantage of the replacement program if it's a big concern and you have a pre-2012 serial numbered unit.

@SHENZHENAUDIO Please confirm, may we have the 3rd (fully fixed) version as a replacement?
Hello, thanks for your inquiry. We are pretty sure that TOPPING will distribute the latest version of L30, and will arrive at our warehouse soon. All inventories will be the newest, please rest assured.

raif71

Major Contributor
@raif71

SP has replied and they are going ahead with the recall and replacement. They have contacted all their L30 customers apparently.
I have sent photo of my SN to Red Ape after they asked me to. Still would be sorry to let mine go, nothing is wrong (yet) with my unit. Yesterday I used it with my Senn hd600 @ high gain and it was a pleasure to listen to.

I have sent photo of my SN to Red Ape after they asked me to. Still would be sorry to let mine go, nothing is wrong (yet) with my unit. Yesterday I used it with my Senn hd600 @ high gain and it was a pleasure to listen to.
Ya... mine is also working great. SP has not asked for my SN yet though. Let's see how this is goes as I can't get to them cos of the current lockdown but there is a 2 week wait for a new unit.

raif71

Major Contributor
Ya... mine is also working great. SP has not asked for my SN yet though. Let's see how this is goes as I can't get to them cos of the current lockdown but there is a 2 week wait for a new unit.
I wonder if I can wait at least after 2 months for the users get their new unit just to see how the 2012 units behave. If everything is ok, I will then replace my unit.

I wonder if I can wait at least after 2 months for the users get their new unit just to see how the 2012 units behave. If everything is ok, I will then replace my unit.
Not a bad idea. SP just replied saying I must return the amp to them first before they can order a new one. I guess I will just sit tight and wait till next month then.

Hi! My E30/L30 stack is connected to an Yamaha receiver by RCA as a preamp. The receiver is properly grounded. Is there a risk on that setup?
My d50/L30 stack is connected to Marantz amp. This happened few weeks ago, Marantz amp goes into protection mode when my son touched L30 knob. L30 still work but D50 usb no longer detected by pc/notebook.

Last edited:
I was the second person in this thread to report the Topping L30 amplifier destroying headphones. The first person did not "cooperate" as it was put. I am thankful that I bought this piece of garbage through Amazon as I was able to get my money back for the Topping L30 amplifier. However, JohnYang1997 said to contact the sellers to deal with headphone compensation on an individual basis. My attempt to communicate with the seller for headphone compensation was a complete fail. I think any attempt to collect ANY compensation on headphones destroyed by Topping will be denied and will likely only waste your time.

I explained the situation back and forth through Amazon messaging system and this was the final response.

Hi, you did not contact me when your earphone defective. It was pass a half month, the factory can not accept this matter. Thanks for your understanding.

So, if Topping did not destroy your headphones on a date they like, don't bother. Typical Chi-Fi electronics that will destroy your headphones. I should have known better than to buy Chi-Fi. I once bought a Chinese DAC for $500 that sounded AMAZING but died after only three months. I should have learned my lesson then. Well, I sure have learned to stay away from Chi-Fi now.
I have a Ray Samuels XP-7 amplifier made in the USA that I purchased in 2003 or 2004. It still works flawlessly today and is the best amp I own. Heck, Ray would even sell you one today as they are still available on his website after seventeen years! Quality components and USA made is worth the money.
You all need to do yourself a really big favor and buy American. If you can't afford a Ray Samuels or other American amp, get a USA made $99 Schiit Magni 3+ or $99 Schiit Heresy. Ultimately, stay away from the Chi-Fi crap. That way you don't have a disposable amp that you will have to throw in the trash. So what if it sounds good for two weeks. You won't have a working amp after that and now even this craziness of Chi-Fi now killing your cherished headphones.
IMG_9102.jpg

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
I was the second person in this thread to report the Topping L30 amplifier destroying headphones. The first person did not "cooperate" as it was put. I am thankful that I bought this piece of garbage through Amazon as I was able to get my money back for the Topping L30 amplifier. However, JohnYang1997 said to contact the sellers to deal with headphone compensation on an individual basis. My attempt to communicate with the seller for headphone compensation was a complete fail. I think any attempt to collect ANY compensation on headphones destroyed by Topping will be denied and will likely only waste your time.

I explained the situation back and forth through Amazon messaging system and this was the final response.

Hi, you did not contact me when your earphone defective. It was pass a half month, the factory can not accept this matter. Thanks for your understanding.

So, if Topping did not destroy your headphones on a date they like, don't bother. Typical Chi-Fi electronics that will destroy your headphones. I should have known better than to buy Chi-Fi. I once bought a Chinese DAC for $500 that sounded AMAZING but died after only three months. I should have learned my lesson then. Well, I sure have learned to stay away from Chi-Fi now.
I have a Ray Samuels XP-7 amplifier made in the USA that I purchased in 2003 or 2004. It still works flawlessly today and is the best amp I own. Heck, Ray would even sell you one today as they are still available on his website after seventeen years! Quality components and USA made is worth the money.
You all need to do yourself a really big favor and buy American. If you can't afford a Ray Samuels or other American amp, get a USA made $99 Schiit Magni 3+ or $99 Schiit Heresy. Ultimately, stay away from the Chi-Fi crap. That way you don't have a disposable amp that you will have to throw in the trash. So what if it sounds good for two weeks. You won't have a working amp after that and now even this craziness of Chi-Fi now killing your cherished headphones.
View attachment 106180
To many things wrong. You can get your money back or replacement regardless of where you get it from.
And contacting seller means following policy. The sellers can't give you special treatment or compensation. You didn't contact me privately nor our customer service after I said that did you?
Then Schiit products were known to have killed people's headphones. They would give compensation but as far as I know protection is still very limited. JDS Atom also doesn't have protection whatsoever. DC in DC out, no protection. So USA made = better quality is simply BS.
It's sad that your headphones are damaged but look at you...

Top Bottom