• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

raif71

Major Contributor
Ya... mine is also working great. SP has not asked for my SN yet though. Let's see how this is goes as I can't get to them cos of the current lockdown but there is a 2 week wait for a new unit.
I wonder if I can wait at least after 2 months for the users get their new unit just to see how the 2012 units behave. If everything is ok, I will then replace my unit.

Thalis

I wonder if I can wait at least after 2 months for the users get their new unit just to see how the 2012 units behave. If everything is ok, I will then replace my unit.

Not a bad idea. SP just replied saying I must return the amp to them first before they can order a new one. I guess I will just sit tight and wait till next month then.

Thalis

@raif71

aack... now they are requesting that I send it back to them ASAP so that they can do all recalls at one go o_O

kurtli

Hi! My E30/L30 stack is connected to an Yamaha receiver by RCA as a preamp. The receiver is properly grounded. Is there a risk on that setup?

My d50/L30 stack is connected to Marantz amp. This happened few weeks ago, Marantz amp goes into protection mode when my son touched L30 knob. L30 still work but D50 usb no longer detected by pc/notebook.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My A50/L30 stack is connected to Marantz amp. This happened few weeks ago, Marantz amp goes into protection mode when my son touched L30 knob. L30 still work but A50 usb no longer detected by pc/notebook.
D50?

hottyson

I was the second person in this thread to report the Topping L30 amplifier destroying headphones. The first person did not "cooperate" as it was put. I am thankful that I bought this piece of garbage through Amazon as I was able to get my money back for the Topping L30 amplifier. However, JohnYang1997 said to contact the sellers to deal with headphone compensation on an individual basis. My attempt to communicate with the seller for headphone compensation was a complete fail. I think any attempt to collect ANY compensation on headphones destroyed by Topping will be denied and will likely only waste your time.

I explained the situation back and forth through Amazon messaging system and this was the final response.

Hi, you did not contact me when your earphone defective. It was pass a half month, the factory can not accept this matter. Thanks for your understanding.

So, if Topping did not destroy your headphones on a date they like, don't bother. Typical Chi-Fi electronics that will destroy your headphones. I should have known better than to buy Chi-Fi. I once bought a Chinese DAC for $500 that sounded AMAZING but died after only three months. I should have learned my lesson then. Well, I sure have learned to stay away from Chi-Fi now.
I have a Ray Samuels XP-7 amplifier made in the USA that I purchased in 2003 or 2004. It still works flawlessly today and is the best amp I own. Heck, Ray would even sell you one today as they are still available on his website after seventeen years! Quality components and USA made is worth the money.
You all need to do yourself a really big favor and buy American. If you can't afford a Ray Samuels or other American amp, get a USA made $99 Schiit Magni 3+ or $99 Schiit Heresy. Ultimately, stay away from the Chi-Fi crap. That way you don't have a disposable amp that you will have to throw in the trash. So what if it sounds good for two weeks. You won't have a working amp after that and now even this craziness of Chi-Fi now killing your cherished headphones.
IMG_9102.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was the second person in this thread to report the Topping L30 amplifier destroying headphones. The first person did not "cooperate" as it was put. I am thankful that I bought this piece of garbage through Amazon as I was able to get my money back for the Topping L30 amplifier. However, JohnYang1997 said to contact the sellers to deal with headphone compensation on an individual basis. My attempt to communicate with the seller for headphone compensation was a complete fail. I think any attempt to collect ANY compensation on headphones destroyed by Topping will be denied and will likely only waste your time.

I explained the situation back and forth through Amazon messaging system and this was the final response.

Hi, you did not contact me when your earphone defective. It was pass a half month, the factory can not accept this matter. Thanks for your understanding.

So, if Topping did not destroy your headphones on a date they like, don't bother. Typical Chi-Fi electronics that will destroy your headphones. I should have known better than to buy Chi-Fi. I once bought a Chinese DAC for $500 that sounded AMAZING but died after only three months. I should have learned my lesson then. Well, I sure have learned to stay away from Chi-Fi now.
I have a Ray Samuels XP-7 amplifier made in the USA that I purchased in 2003 or 2004. It still works flawlessly today and is the best amp I own. Heck, Ray would even sell you one today as they are still available on his website after seventeen years! Quality components and USA made is worth the money.
You all need to do yourself a really big favor and buy American. If you can't afford a Ray Samuels or other American amp, get a USA made $99 Schiit Magni 3+ or $99 Schiit Heresy. Ultimately, stay away from the Chi-Fi crap. That way you don't have a disposable amp that you will have to throw in the trash. So what if it sounds good for two weeks. You won't have a working amp after that and now even this craziness of Chi-Fi now killing your cherished headphones.
View attachment 106180
To many things wrong. You can get your money back or replacement regardless of where you get it from.
And contacting seller means following policy. The sellers can't give you special treatment or compensation. You didn't contact me privately nor our customer service after I said that did you?
Then Schiit products were known to have killed people's headphones. They would give compensation but as far as I know protection is still very limited. JDS Atom also doesn't have protection whatsoever. DC in DC out, no protection. So USA made = better quality is simply BS.
It's sad that your headphones are damaged but look at you...

WoodyLuvr

...Typical Chi-Fi electronics that will destroy your headphones. I should have known better than to buy Chi-Fi. I once bought a Chinese DAC for $500 that sounded AMAZING but died after only three months. I should have learned my lesson then. Well, I sure have learned to stay away from Chi-Fi now.
FYI
As per the following thread linked below "@$*-Fi" is no longer an acceptable term here on ASR. Please respectfully refrain from using it further; thank you.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../lets-avoid-the-term-chi-fi.18243/post-594347

1610699093224.png

WoodyLuvr

Lol the magical Mmmurica quality!
I know you may have said this in jest but it will only be taken the wrong way and will further aggravate the situation. Let's try to keep this thread civil and polite in order to better help and respect those who have been directly affected by the issue at hand and are dealing with it.

virtua

I'm really satisfied with how Topping has handled this and the response has solidified my confidence in the brand. I know it's unfortunate this has happened, and I feel bad for the people who had their headphones destroyed - but I can understand how it might have flown under the radar for quite some time. I really don't understand the anti-chinese sentiment. Topping in my opinion has handled this situation very well and especially props to John Yang as I've seen him active and giving us constant updates not only here but on many other platforms as well - he's gone above and beyond in that regard.

The recall on L30 amplifiers was issued fairly quickly and seems to be very strong from sellers, and knowing that not only has Topping taken their time to remediate the issue issuing out 2012 SN amplifiers (which realistically remediate our real issue with damaged headphones and possible hearing damage in extension), John is working on an update beyond that to the L30 design which could see it be just about the safest amplifier design at minimum around it's own price point, showing that lessons learnt has been taken to heart and has been used to further improve their products to another level.

This is not the sort of response you will see from any old random no-name brand, this is quality.

I'll likely wait for the revised model, which I'm happy to wait for as I really like the L30 and its the only amplifier that I know of at the price which has the -9db gain mode which I appreciate as I'm a quiet listener.

ronwan

Forum Donor
My headphone also got damaged, having distortion now in both channels. S/N=2010xxx

Topping offered no hassle support, offering to replace the amp immediately. Too bad it cost me my Sennheiser 560.. but nevertheless they way they deal with it gives a positive feeling.
Things go wrong (except in my own company of course) and its all about how you deal with it. If they replace the amp, I will get a new headphone... sharing our pain together. For sure exceeds my expectations, which says something about both their reaction and my expectations.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
My headphone also got damaged, having distortion now in both channels. S/N=2010xxx

Topping offered no hassle support, offering to replace the amp immediately. Too bad it cost me my Sennheiser 560.. but nevertheless they way they deal with it gives a positive feeling.
Things go wrong (except in my own company of course) and its all about how you deal with it. If they replace the amp, I will get a new headphone... sharing our pain together. For sure exceeds my expectations, which says something about both their reaction and my expectations.

I want to see Topping continuing to sell excellent electronics. These brands (no more "xxx-Fi") from China have revolutionized the market and allowed us to save a lot of money.

Giangi71

Anyway, L30 is still the best SE headset amplifier for low impedance and sensible headphones (not a question of price), imho

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JDS Atom also doesn't have protection whatsoever. DC in DC out, no protection. So USA made = better quality is simply BS.

How many headphones have you heard being destroyed by an Atom amp? I've never heard of any, and the Atom has been out for over 2 years and is an extremely popular headphone amp.

The L30 has been out around 6 months, and it has destroyed several pairs. So definitely seems like the Atom is better designed in this regard.

Lucco

I respect your point of view, but personally, I don't agree with that.

If you bought an L30 and it damaged your headphone, due to a technical defect, in my opinion, Topping should be responsible for the amplifier and the headphone, as a indemnity (insurance compensation for damages or loss).

Imagine you buy an L30 ($150) and plug an Meze Empyrean ($3,000) into it. After a few days of use, the L30 explodes and damages your Meze.
Topping will have a loss of approximately $100 (cost of manufacturing and shipping an L30) and you will have a loss of $ 3,000.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

facboy

@JohnYang1997
  • Within the replacement program, is it possible to add a note that one is willing to wait for an ESD fixed version to be send out as preplacement?
  • Are you first cleaning 2012 stock for the replacements and do you continue to produce the non ESD fixed version until the fix is introduced in the manufacturing process?
I think a lot of people are very happy with the replacement program (I appreciate it a lot), but the same people are bit disappointed that they are still getting a version without the ESD fix.
With a warranty of only 1 year, I don't really understand your previous comment where you said it doesn't really matter if the L30 breaks, because you can get a replacement unit anyway. Most of us are probably hoping to use this device for several more years...

Maybe ask people that are requesting a replacement if they are willing to wait for an ESD version to be shipped to them?

my seller has said that "Topping send you a version without problem" but there may be a language issue. as far as i know there's been no word yet of an ESD fixed batch?

Top Bottom