• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

escalibur

Thanks! My replacement from Shenzhenaudio is on its way. The customer service representative is very responsive.
Same here. They asked me for a photo and with a few messages back and forth, it seems that I'm receiving a replacement. Amazing customer service so far.

I just hope that they don't ship older than 2012... revision. :)

NgtFlyer

I have a 2005 L30 connected via short cables to my E30. They are plugged into the same power strip using supplied power supplies. My main audio feed is via TOSlink but I also have it connected to a second source computer via USB. I suppose to be safe, I should disconnect the USB input since I almost never use that source, and just wait for the ESD fixed version to be released. With just a TOSlink connection, I presume I'm pretty safe.

Same here. They asked me for a photo and with a few messages back and forth, it seems that I'm receiving a replacement. Amazing customer service so far.

I just hope that they don't ship older than 2012... revision. :)
Replacement without the need of destroying your L30 and attaching photos of it? Or you will send it back via amazon service?

@JohnYang1997 so my situation is 2rca 3.5mm to dragonfly Cobalt used only as a dac and connected to a phone as a source and then the headset connected to L30. What could I risk with 2012sn in that situation? Thanks

escalibur

Replacement without the need of destroying your L30 and attaching photos of it? Or you will send it back via amazon service?
They never commented on my old L30. We shall see.

They never commented on my old L30. We shall see.
In fact, I already talked this over on aliex and they didn't ask for anything either. Just instantly agreed to send a new one. I am a bit overwhelmed by this top tier service if there will be no complications further.
I remember when I got a ****** panel on a new monitor in my city they were torturing me for a month before replacing it.

ezra_s

Forum Donor

Toku

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This L30 problem is a very rare case that occurs depending on the usage environment, and I think that it is not a problem that occurs for all users.
I think it happens when intense ESD occurs in an environment where the humidity in the room is extremely low.
In my environment, such intense ESD does not occur, so I will continue to use the ones from the current lot.

I had a similar problem with the DX3Pro's headphone amplifier before, after that, then changed the model to DX3 Pro LDAC.
However, as a result the performance of the headphone amplifier has deteriorated.
I used the two DX3 Pros I bought at that time as they were, but no problems occurred.
What changes have been made to this L30 issue? I hope it doesn't affect the sound quality ...
As I always think, Topping's attitude of valuing users is very wonderful.

Fluffeh

I'm not comfortable recommending people who aren't experienced doing these kind of work.

And again, if the headphones don't burn, what's the problem? You'll get a replacement if your unit fails.

Lastly, just now we finally managed to reproduce the ESD problem and identify the failing components. There will be solution soon. For you personally, of course you can wait until the ESD issue being solved. It's all up to you. You already have all the information you needed to make a decision.
That's great news, thanks @JohnYang1997 !

Please let us know which upcoming version will include the ESD fix so we can specifically request that one later on :)

Some of us here probably got more frequent ESD occurrences, either because of low humidity or home items such as carpets (or cats...), and would be willing to wait a bit longer before getting a replacement unit.

Do you think the ESD-safe L30 could be ready for the February 2021 batch (S/N 2102) ?

renaudrenaud

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On a french forum we are few customers with this unit and the procedure for replacing the unit is starting. Thanks a lot to Topping for everything. Some people explained us we are ridiculous to buy low cost Chinese products, but it seems to me Topping is exemplary in his way to manage the problem.

Thanks a lot Topping: excellent products, excellent prices and now excellent customer management.

escalibur

I'm not comfortable recommending people who aren't experienced doing these kind of work.

And again, if the headphones don't burn, what's the problem? You'll get a replacement if your unit fails.

Lastly, just now we finally managed to reproduce the ESD problem and identify the failing components. There will be solution soon. For you personally, of course you can wait until the ESD issue being solved. It's all up to you. You already have all the information you needed to make a decision.
Please inform Shenzen Audio (if you already haven't) about this? It seems that we will have 2 'fixed' versions.

acbarn

Forum Donor
I’m glad to see the amp replacement process is being handled so well. I’m curious though, has anyone been compensated for their damaged headphones?

After reading several pages of this topic, I will try to make a summary to help users who are concerned about the situation and will not have time to read everything...

1. Topping L30 (serial number 2011 or lower)
- Has the DC problem
- Has the ESD problem
- In this condition, in rare cases, your L30 can fail and damage your headphone as well.

2. Topping L30 (serial number 2012 or higher)
- Has an updated DC protection system
- Has the ESD problem
- In this condition, your L30 is safe, but like any other equipment, in rare cases, your L30 can fail, but your headphone will be protected.
*if your L30 fails (in the warranty period), Topping will replace it.

3. [In the future] Topping L30 (serial number 21XX or higher)
- Will have an updated DC protection system
- Will have an updated ESD protection system
- In this condition, your L30 will be "safe as hell (safer than most others!)"...
When the pot shaft is connected to the groundplanes (top and bottom side it seems) and the volpotnut has a ring on it that pierces the anodized part at least the front panel is grounded. It would be easy to create a good connection from the frontpanel to the enclosure as well. The frontplate is glued on it later. In this case the enclosure and shaft are connected to the ground. Personally, when the switches are merely soldered onto pads for sturdyness I would also connect those to the groundplane. You don't want any sparks on the inside of the enclosure. It should take the lowest resistance path which is the groundplane.
With these measures and the correct DC protection the amp is safe as hell (safer than most others !)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If I made a mistake or if I forgot something, please let me know so I can update it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Importante information:
I'm not comfortable recommending people who aren't experienced doing these kind of work. And again, if the headphones don't burn, what's the problem? You'll get a replacement if your unit fails.

Excellent questions from other users...
1)
Do you think the ESD-safe L30 could be ready for the February 2021 batch (S/N 2102)?
Please inform @SHENZHENAUDIO (if you already haven't) about this? It seems that we will have 2 'fixed' versions.
Please @JohnYang1997 , keep us updated... ;)

Last edited:
Really sorry for this inconvenience, SHENZHENAUDIO always here to provide you a satisfactory. Thanks for your support. If your L30 has any problem welcome to contact us or the seller you purchased.

Email: [email protected]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/
Discord: https://discord.com/invite/qJrSWrT
I also bought my Topping E30/L30 at @SHENZHENAUDIO and would like to congratulate the store. I received a excellent support to proceed with the exchange/refund of my Topping L30.

Last edited:
Top Bottom