• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If L30 is imported, we might have to pay customs charges all over again, because it does not come under repair, and is a new piece altogether. We need to check our country's/region's customs policy for exchange of an item that is previously imported. [Not from EU, but thinking aloud].
I think the EU rules stipulate that in order to import as a repaired or exchanged product, the original item has to actually be sent outside the EU. If the original item is destroyed as faulty, the importer would make a rectification request to get a refund for the original import taxes and the replacement item would be imported as a new one. There is usually a time limit for the tax refund, maybe a year or a few.

Reactions: PSO

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There have to be other ways of ensuring that, no need to go all Duterte on them. Super wasteful IMHO

I had a ladder that I got replaced through warranty, and they wanted photos of it cut lengthwise in half (each step cut). Maybe pictures with drill holes or similar would suffice?

threni

Major Contributor
I had a ladder that I got replaced through warranty, and they wanted photos of it cut lengthwise in half (each step cut). Maybe pictures with drill holes or similar would suffice?

"I'll give you £10 for the photos; I have the same ladder and it means I can sell mine on eBay AND get a refund".

I'm not sure Topping want to be known as the company who deafened someone by destroying their HD 880 S, for the sake of shipping a few hundred/thousand small boxes back to their local distributor. Of all the ways of attempting to save the planet (a worth endeavour, although we're way past that point now, by the way), this would seem to be one of the most futile. Plus, how are they going to reuse most of the components if they've been destroyed and disposed of, unless all the retailers really do destroy them?

Aldoszx

Hm. Maybe we can only open the unit and destroy the L30 board ! I really like the case and it would be good for another project :)

Dotcha

811BA2E8-7FB9-425C-9A31-FAD1626C2251.jpeg

Still thinking about returning my l30 and getting replaced...
It kinda looks good on DX7 BTW..

half_dog

Hm. Maybe we can only open the unit and destroy the L30 board ! I really like the case and it would be good for another project :)
It's not that easy to remove the board. Maybe drill a few holes on the case is enough...

Zikeee

Well, update time. I ordered e30/l30 stack from amazon.de / shenzen audio. Got them in december, was using the stack, as preamp to powered monitors and HP, constantly plugged in. Never had any issues with L30 or E30 for that matter. After reading some posts in this thread and beeing confirmed from Topping themselfes i decided to ask for a return of products with refund. I have been granted refund of L30 with reply to keep or rather dispose of the L30. Now i wont sell it for sure, but is there any info on what actually caused the short or whatever happend to some people? Can i fix it DIY style? Since its working as it should - for now-, id like to still use it? If not i guess i will just wait for the new revision or possibly purchase heresy or atom, with insane taxes and shipping. smh.

jkm

I still don't get it. Is there something else fixed in the 2012 revision or does it only include a better protection for your headphones when the amp might/will blow up?

Shivers

Got my reply from Aoshia Hifi Store:

"Dear customer Do you want to return the product for a refund? Or replace with a new product? If you change to a new product, you don't need to send the old product back, you need to destroy the old product. We will send you new device, but without accessories, you need to use the accessories and power supply of the old product. Do you agree? Waiting for your reply"

Glad I can get this sorted and get a new unit.

jeffbook

After reviewing the Topping Facebook post I have initiated a return of my L30 (2011xxxx) to Amazon . HiFi College was the vendor on Amazon, which turns out to be Shenzen Audio. I immediately ordered a JDS Atom amp which is on a 2nd day UPS Air delivery. Saved around $35 with a plastic case instead of metal and a change in SINAD of 6 dB or so. Will be inaudible I would think.

I would like to thank Topping for a relatively quick decision on the pre 2012 L30 amps.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have been granted refund of L30 with reply to keep or rather dispose of the L30. Now i wont sell it for sure, but is there any info on what actually caused the short or whatever happend to some people? Can i fix it DIY style?

If getting a new one is conditioned on destroying the old one, I'd destroy the old one...

Karma.

Zikeee

If getting a new one is conditioned on destroying the old one, I'd destroy the old one...

Karma.

Its not conditioned, they just said i should dispose of it and gave me back my money.
I can wait and order new revision as if im ordering it for the fist time.
My question is, when will even new revision come out, than i have to wait bout a month to arrive so this whole ordeal of new revision is like 2-3 months away for me to use it. Not acceptable.

Anyhow, anyone here ordered from JDS or schiit to EU, how much was import taxes and other fees?

ninetylol

Its not conditioned, they just said i should dispose of it and gave me back my money.
I can wait and order new revision as if im ordering it for the fist time.
My question is, when will even new revision come out, than i have to wait bout a month to arrive so this whole ordeal of new revision is like 2-3 months away for me to use it. Not acceptable.

Anyhow, anyone here ordered from JDS or schiit to EU, how much was import taxes and other fees?
Schiit got their own europe website and reseller. the bad news is they NEVER have stock and keep lying about it too. Always pushing back stock date month by month.

threni

Major Contributor
Schiit got their own europe website and reseller. the bad news is they NEVER have stock and keep lying about it too. Always pushing back stock date month by month.

Are you sure they're not just getting new stock and selling it instantly? I was watching the UK site waiting for something for months, and eventually I emailed them and they told me it'd be in stock tomorrow. Sure enough it was, and I ordered it and received it the next day. Whilst I was checking the tracking info the day I ordered it I noticed it had gone back to being out of stock. Perhaps if you emailed them an asked them to put one aside or email you when it was back in stock that'd help?

Veri

Master Contributor
Really depends on country, but at least 21% value added tax and some 10-20 range euro processing fees, if not more.

ninetylol

Are you sure they're not just getting new stock and selling it instantly? I was watching the UK site waiting for something for months, and eventually I emailed them and they told me it'd be in stock tomorrow. Sure enough it was, and I ordered it and received it the next day. Whilst I was checking the tracking info the day I ordered it I noticed it had gone back to being out of stock. Perhaps if you emailed them an asked them to put one aside or email you when it was back in stock that'd help?
I wanted to order the Heresy when it was released and watched the site every day. Stock date was always pushed back further and after 1-2 months it suddenly said stock date unknown. Which seems to still be the case for almost everything on their site today.

ninetylol

Really depends on country, but at least 21% value added tax and some 10-20 range euro processing fees, if not more.
Seems we really need some european manufacturer for good amps/dacs. What we are ahead in headphones we lack in other electronics.

Top Bottom