• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

Leva

I have an e70 velvet topping, I have time to return it until February 22nd, I would like to try an SMSL D300, do you think I should return the E70 Velvet and buy the D300? Have you tried the D300 with any audio file to see how it goes? if there are crackles or other various defects?
Why do you think about D300? You don't like sound of your E70 v or some another reason?

robertospeed

Why do you think about D300? You don't like sound of your E70 v or some another reason?
I don't even know what I'm doing, I have an SMSL A300 and I would like to match the D300.
The e70 velvet topping in the manual says that it had 2 filters and they could be changed, but in truth it is not so, I wrote to the topping and explained everything to them and they apologized and told me that the manual was written wrong and there is only one filter and it is fixed , then the bluetooth should be in HD but it is not , however I do not use the bluetooh and I am not even interested , really not even the DSD filters interest me also because they are inaudible to the human ear , but if one spends 500 euros which for me is not a few, it is not fair in my opinion that the topping is wrong in the manual and deludes people about things that are not true, unfortunately I cannot explain myself well, I would like to say many things, but I cannot The right things to say come out, I can't describe the sound, I don't notice that much difference between an E70 and a D10s, perhaps the E70 feels clearer and cleaner on the highs, but I don't like the mids for how they sound.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
There seems to be a lot of baseless subjective comments happening in this thread referring to well measuring DAC's sounding different. May I remind posters that these comments need to be qualified, as they are misleading for other members... there is no point saying a DAC was too light in the bass or whatever without showing that they were level matched and compared properly without peeking. Keeping in mind, to date, no one has been able to prove any difference between well measuring DAC's.

JSmith

HpW

Technical Expert
There seems to be a lot of baseless subjective comments happening in this thread referring to well measuring DAC's sounding different. May I remind posters that these comments need to be qualified, as they are misleading for other members... there is no point saying a DAC was too light in the bass or whatever without showing that they were level matched and compared properly without peeking. Keeping in mind, to date, no one has been able to prove any difference between well measuring DAC's.

JSmith

Well, this AK4499EX chip has a special Sound Control bit as:

SC : Sound Control in Pin Control mode:

“L”: Measurement mode
“H”: Sound quality mode

The question rises, how is this setup :rolleyes: done or whether this setup is know or may changed for measurements or listening ...

Hp

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
how is this setup
1675994194876.png

1675994385516.png

JSmith

HpW

Technical Expert
@JSimth: The setup within the AK4499Ex chip is for me know.

BUT, how is the setup on the Topping E70 Velvet done... best for measure or listening or marketing??

As I looked on the Topping manual, nothing mentioned nor any dynamic alternation as on remote control possible. Also in addition how or when the measure mode helps on what kind/regards of various test signals.

This will made any review using the AK4499Ex chip IMHO questionable, as one or the other settings will for sure, sound ANY different.

Hp

Srikanth

After several days, I'm pretty pleased with my E70V. It's got a smooth, clear presentation that's similar to the D400EX. I haven't tried optical or RCA, but USB is good. I bumped it from 4V to 5V and set it on dac-only mode. I haven't heard the older E70, so can't comment on any differences/similarities. The E70V is a solid, no-frills dac at a decent price ($450 at Apos Audio).

EDIT: I should've noted that dac-only mode disables the rotary knob for volume adjustments. All other functions still work.

View attachment 252251
Hi Brother.
How is the sound stage of E70 Velvet?
Can you compare with D30 pro or smsl su 9 pro ?

MadMaxx

Hi Brother.
How is the sound stage of E70 Velvet?
Can you compare with D30 pro or smsl su 9 pro ?
I haven't heard those 2 dacs so can't offer any comparisons for you. Check the review video I posted above ^^. The guy looks and sounds kinda like Count Dracula, but he's a good reviewer. You might find some answers in his comments.

bearcatsandor

Speaking of usb, is there a reason why the E70 uses a usb2-a instead of a usc-c? Is it really that much cheaper?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Speaking of usb, is there a reason why the E70 uses a usb2-a instead of a usc-c? Is it really that much cheaper?
U can still use a usb c port on the source. I don't see the problem. Usb 2 is certainly more than fast enough for constant audio stream

bearcatsandor

what the heck are those?

The E70 uses a USB 2.0 Type-B port, probably because it is more rigid and durable than Type-C. See here.
Multiple typos before coffee, that's what they are. I meant "..is there a reason why the E70 uses a usb type B instead of a usb type C?
Thank you for the link. That explains it.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
What's the use of Topping HS01 USB 2.0 High Speed Audio Isolator ?
There is a discussion thread about this, even with a further link to measurements of the device;

JSmith

Jonessön

I bought this to replace dac in Bluesound Node n130. How I set this thing right? Currently E70 Velvet is in DAC mode. Speakers connected with RCAs to E70. Node to E70 with optical toslink (im using node sub out, because with usb its disabled).

So node is controlling volume, and connected to tv with hdmi earc.

Is this correct? Or it is better to use E70 as DAC+preamp? And set node volume to max?

rarewolf

I bought this to replace dac in Bluesound Node n130. How I set this thing right? Currently E70 Velvet is in DAC mode. Speakers connected with RCAs to E70. Node to E70 with optical toslink (im using node sub out, because with usb its disabled).

So node is controlling volume, and connected to tv with hdmi earc.

Is this correct? Or it is better to use E70 as DAC+preamp? And set node volume to max?

Always adjust the volume at the final analog result, never the source’s digital data

Top Bottom