• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

MadMaxx

But do you think the Topping E70 Velvet is a good DAC ?
Aside from the issue of my E70V going dead for no apparent reason a few weeks ago, I think it's an excellent dac in the sub-$500 category.

Apos Audio sent me a new E70V and a prepaid return label for my deceased dac.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
That looks like dezinformation.
Nope.

It supports DSD.. through the DACs modulators. But you cannot bypass the modulators directly to the analogue output stage. That's DSD direct mode.

And that was a feature on other earlier AKM chips as well.

bogi

It supports DSD.. through the DACs modulators. But you cannot bypass the modulators directly to the analogue output stage.
Where is proof of that?

Abe_W

After several days, I'm pretty pleased with my E70V. It's got a smooth, clear presentation that's similar to the D400EX. I haven't tried optical or RCA, but USB is good. I bumped it from 4V to 5V and set it on dac-only mode. I haven't heard the older E70, so can't comment on any differences/similarities. The E70V is a solid, no-frills dac at a decent price ($450 at Apos Audio).

EDIT: I should've noted that dac-only mode disables the rotary knob for volume adjustments. All other functions still work.

View attachment 252251
How's the sound quality in preamp mode? I'm looking to get this dac for my PC setup.

MadMaxx

How's the sound quality in preamp mode? I'm looking to get this dac for my PC setup.
I actually went back to preamp mode with mine. It gives you a lot more flexibility with volume control. I can't hear any sound quality difference between dac-only and preamp mode.

I have my E70V in my PC audio setup, too. Works great!

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
How's the sound quality in preamp mode?
I'd imagine the digital volume control is the same or similar to the E70;

index.php

JSmith

decomo

Is E70 Velvet still good option if source will be TV via Toslink and out to studio monitors? I heard that E30 has jitter issue if Non-USB such as Toslink or Coaxial. Not sure if E70 Velvet has same issue.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is E70 Velvet still good option if source will be TV via Toslink and out to studio monitors? I heard that E30 has jitter issue if Non-USB such as Toslink or Coaxial. Not sure if E70 Velvet has same issue.
E30 ll's OPT has evolved from E30 and I don't think there is a big difference from E70V's OPT input.
However, depending on the quality of the OPT output of your TV, you may not be able to connect.
If I want a reliable connection, I prefer SMSL's DAC products, which can set the quality level of the OPT connection.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Incompatibility started when AKM's receiver chip AK4118 was no longer available, and replacements had to be found. I wonder if AK4118 or its new version is available now and if Topping went back to it.

decomo

E30 ll's OPT has evolved from E30 and I don't think there is a big difference from E70V's OPT input.
However, depending on the quality of the OPT output of your TV, you may not be able to connect.
If I want a reliable connection, I prefer SMSL's DAC products, which can set the quality level of the OPT connection.

Thank you very much. Any particular SMSL DAC that has good Optical Input performance? It will be connected to TV to Studio monitor so digital volume control is a must but no need headphone out.

Vladetz

My E70 Velvet works flawlessly with 2022 LG OLED48A2 and 2018 LG 43uk6710

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
My E70 Velvet works flawlessly with 2022 LG OLED48A2 and 2018 LG 43uk6710

As a member of the LGHDTV+ community I’m very glad to hear this.

yodog

Anyone tried 1.04 firmware? Still not listed on Topping website

What will updating the firmware do? Are there any update notes that describe the changes?

An unrelated question, but does anyone know if one would get better sound quality if only using either the rca option or the xlr option, and not both active at the same time?

Last question, is there any way to change the displays format so that when I mute it, it makes the whole display have - - - dashes displayed? So it’s easier to determine if it’s muted or not? This is one thing i miss having from the e30 DAC.

Speaking of e30 DAC, anyone else notice the pcm filters and their corresponding numbers and general sound structures are very similar in its each individual effect?

Vladetz

What will updating the firmware do? Are there any update notes that describe the changes?

An unrelated question, but does anyone know if one would get better sound quality if only using either the rca option or the xlr option, and not both active at the same time?

Last question, is there any way to change the displays format so that when I mute it, it makes the whole display have - - - dashes displayed? So it’s easier to determine if it’s muted or not? This is one thing i miss having from the e30 DAC.

Speaking of e30 DAC, anyone else notice the pcm filters and their corresponding numbers and general sound structures are very similar in its each individual effect?
There is no changelog yet

aka_Z

No changelog? Then the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" even more makes sense. My guess, update is relaxing jitter for the optical input.

Top Bottom