• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There's no such thing as a DAC sound :D
But there is distortion so you can call it dac sound.
And no I didn't hear soundstage expand better depth and other kind of audiophile buzz words when doing level matched blind listening test.

What I heard was tiny tiny difference in high frequencies on one device being more pronounced than on the other.

Daorom

There's no such thing as a DAC sound :D
There is no such thing as a DAC. There is a chip and a harness, a set of equipment that creates sound.And so the sound is different.

Daorom

CALCULATOR

View attachment 276310
I received my E70 yesterday and set it up today. I have the E70 running in parallel with my E70 Velvet.

The Setup:
  • PiCorePlayer with embedded LMS on 2GB Raspberry Pi 4
  • Identical USB A to USB B cables on separate USB 3 ports
  • Topping E70 & Topping E70 Velvet both set to DAC mode, 4V output and default filter
  • Identical XLR cables
  • Benchmark HPA-4 preamp / headphone amp
  • Audeze LCD-3 headphones or ICEpower monoblock amps through Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary speakers
I planned to do a blind ABX test but have abandoned that plan. I can switch instantaneously between DACs using the HPA-4 remote. Sighted listening I can hear zero difference. Using pink noise there is zero distinguishable volume or frequency difference. I can hear no difference between the DACs on any song. I have concluded a blind test would be a waste of time because I would simply be guessing. There is no difference to identify.

This experience has me convinced there is absolutely no sonic difference between the AK4499EX and ES9028Pro chips.

I love the aesthetic of the new E70 DAC. The display is a 1000% improvement over the OLED used on the DX7 Pro. I’m keeping the E70 and returning the E70 Velvet for two reasons: 1. The ESS E70 is cheaper; and 2. The E70 Velvet Apos sent me looks like it was a customer return.

Martin
Lmfao

I am waiting for my E70V and PA7+ stack to arrive Friday.... I guess my $100 extra wasn't worth it for the other chip

I felt the same when I blind tested the slow mid and fast filters on my Gustard R26. I could not tell a difference.

I don't know how people hear a difference or maybe think they hear a difference.

I also fast switched through the firmwares on the iFi Zen DAC between the GTO and non GTO filtered versions... Could not tell a difference.

Maybe I'm getting old at 31 years of age and my hearing isn't what it used to be?

Or maybe.... it literally just sounds the same to our human ears.

CALCULATOR

Well, if you resell down the road Velvet could hold its' value a bit better. Above all, just enjoy it. It will be excellent.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot. The Gustard opened my eyes that yes, a dac can make or break your system.

Having tried the D90(? I think it's called that, it was the $900 best of the best from topping at the time) I was so very impressed with how clean it sounded compared to anything else I've tried- the D70 will be, probably, even better.

This will be my nearfield set up for my desk, I'm excited to have a lot of very accurate signal and power on speed dial, my iFi zen and sim audio combo will be retired to my bedroom

My hearing changes from week to week. I'll go away for work and come back home on the weekend and my gear sound better than I remember.

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_215521659.jpg
    PXL_20230529_215521659.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 118

Daorom

Yes, quality DSD excellent! Started collecting more DSD.Here

MadMaxx

I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot. The Gustard opened my eyes that yes, a dac can make or break your system.

Having tried the D90(? I think it's called that, it was the $900 best of the best from topping at the time) I was so very impressed with how clean it sounded compared to anything else I've tried- the D70 will be, probably, even better.

This will be my nearfield set up for my desk, I'm excited to have a lot of very accurate signal and power on speed dial, my iFi zen and sim audio combo will be retired to my bedroom

My hearing changes from week to week. I'll go away for work and come back home on the weekend and my gear sound better than I remember.
The E70V is one of the best bang-for-the-buck dacs on the market. I'm quite pleased with mine.

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
Lmfao

I am waiting for my E70V and PA7+ stack to arrive Friday.... I guess my $100 extra wasn't worth it for the other chip

I felt the same when I blind tested the slow mid and fast filters on my Gustard R26. I could not tell a difference.

I don't know how people hear a difference or maybe think they hear a difference.

I also fast switched through the firmwares on the iFi Zen DAC between the GTO and non GTO filtered versions... Could not tell a difference.

Maybe I'm getting old at 31 years of age and my hearing isn't what it used to be?

Or maybe.... it literally just sounds the same to our human ears.
What content are you testing with, I am finding that jazz and classical music is one test but Armstrong/Fitzerald voices are a very different test. Diana Krall sounds the same on any device.

MadMaxx

What does the 30% more expensive E70V get you over the less expensive E70 though?
In my mind, that extra $100 for the Velvet is just wasted money better spent elsewhere.
Well, now we know what's in your mind. I made no comparison between the E70V and E70; never heard the latter. I simply stated that I was quite pleased with my E70V. I've spent as much as $1800 on a dac (Denafrips Pontus 2) and could tell no difference in audio quality between it and my E70V. I call that a damn good bang-for-the-buck value. Sold my P2 for $1725, so I think I did okay.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Once upon a time,a looong time ago AKM was rightfully famous because of this:

AKM.jpg

(AKM)

...versus this:

ESS.jpg

(ESS)

(not directly comparable as the ancient AKM chip is worst in terms of THD+N)

But it was that clean spectrum that "inspired" people back then.
No more of course,you can see the (way better despite the spurae in the inaudible territory) new AKM chips.

CALCULATOR

What content are you testing with, I am finding that jazz and classical music is one test but Armstrong/Fitzerald voices are a very different test. Diana Krall sounds the same on any device.
House and techno

If there is any sort of decay I always think I'd hear it. But maybe my hearing is not so good, and I want to stay out of the discussion of which one is better or if the Velvet is worth it. I bought it because more qualified reviewers said so, and I'm one of those people. I don't do music listening as my job, I just want what's renown as good.

And I understand that it can be super subjective. And that's why we all lean on Amir's measurements ;)

There is a NOTICEABLE difference between R2R and this kind of DAC. I like both, a lot.

I won't be able to test again the regular vs velvet as I only got velvet.

I am excited to show you guys my set up :D

Getting ready for a "practice session" now

I'm not an actual DJ I just like to hear my favorite tracks laid over with other drums and samples.

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_235819989.jpg
    PXL_20230602_235819989.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20230602_234942760.jpg
    PXL_20230602_234942760.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

MadMaxx

House and techno

If there is any sort of decay I always think I'd hear it.

There is a NOTICEABLE difference between R2R and this kind of DAC. I like both, a lot.

I won't be able to test again the regular vs velvet as I only got velvet.

I am excited to show you guys my set up :D

Getting ready for a "practice session" now

I'm not an actual DJ I just like to hear my favorite tracks laid over with other drums and samples.
Cool setup. mate! Are your speakers the Klipsch 600M? Lots of favorable reviews of those beasts!

Top Bottom