• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
well.. my music stored on that
OK, I mainly use Network and Cloud music streaming service, but I tought something like a Bluesound Node (Which I use) can play these files? You seemed to say in a previous post that it don't work right?

Stephen

OK, I mainly use Network and Cloud music streaming service, but I tought something like a Bluesound Node (Which I use) can play these files? You seemed to say in a previous post that it don't work right?
Bluesound node does read the files, but in a very basic way. You can't make play lists, add to favorites and is lacking so many options...

PeteL

Major Contributor
Bluesound node does read the files, but in a very basic way. You can't make play lists, add to favorites and is lacking so many options...
I see, I may want to check that at some point. Tidal, CDs and Vinyl records are my main sources and did not find a need myself to purchase music files but everybody's needs are different.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I see differentiation point: BT signal is routed to ESS for decoding, not done by the BT chip.

What is I/V as in 'new I/V conversion' ?!

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The inclusion of a 12V trigger is a welcome advancement and not a common feature at all.
That's a super simple circuit that demands almost no design effort and can probably be implemented with a single cheap chip.

I want DSP capabilities! FIR EQ! Everything that miniDSP does but with the same stellar specs as those DACs.
You can even slap a hefty price tag on it, but I just want innovation instead of a horsepower race.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Why do all the Chinese DACs use the same remote? I think it is time we all jump up and down at the same time and demand discrete remote IR codes and remote buttons so that when changing inputs from a distance (and not being able to read the small fonts in the display) we don't have to press the up/down buttons with a trial and error approach.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I can't help but wonder while I glaze over the top 10 chart, that a 350 dollar dac bests a 10000 dollar one, like the mola mola. Don't know what to make of it.

Should all dacs include dsp ? (Yes probably).

Should I even buy a dac or get a speaker with digital inputs (probably the best).

Then, what is it all for? (Probably for objectivist audiophiles on asr and teenagers who don't know they own the best measuring device they will ever get in their audiophile careers.)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Why do all the Chinese DACs use the same remote? I think it is time we all jump up and down at the same time and demand discrete remote IR codes and remote buttons so that when changing inputs from a distance (and not being able to read the small fonts in the display) we don't have to press the up/down buttons with a trial and error approach.
Interesting that some people demand that Topping would integrate new features, when after about 20+ DACs or so, they are not even able to outsource a remote with labeling that makes any sense.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir,

Very much appreciate your work as always, but surely Topping's pursuit of meaningful improvements, i.e. audible differences, "topped" out long ago.

If they or SMSL could provide a similar level of performance with say an inbuilt streamer or DSP (e.g. miniDSP style) there would be a lot more interest.

Multi functional equipment was frowned upon when I started in this hobbies in the 70s, however, with hindsight it just makes sense to me to have an "all in one" front end + power amp + speakers.

Thanks again.

MarnixM

I can't help but wonder while I glaze over the top 10 chart, that a 350 dollar dac bests a 10000 dollar one, like the mola mola. Don't know what to make of it.

That's because it's magic.... Kula, Makua, Kaluga, Tambaqui... and you feel better again!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is - why you should buy this product if your main source is bluetooth ?
You can use a device for 30 dollar for this, and youre not gonna hear any difference because bluetooth ( including all ” high res ” solutions ) is not a bitperfect format .
High bitrate bluetooth is going to be way ahead of the DAC in most $30 devices. For most people it will be transparent. Other than the apple phone dongle, I've yet to see a $30 device that is as good.

Plus - a perfectly reasonable use case is to provide the bluetooth for guest use while using USB or other bitperfect connections for personal use.

Overseas

Major Contributor

That's because it's magic.... Kula, Makua, Kaluga, Tambaqui... and you feel better again!
Such blind test properly organized would be a blast, whatever the result.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a super simple circuit that demands almost no design effort and can probably be implemented with a single cheap chip.

I want DSP capabilities! FIR EQ! Everything that miniDSP does but with the same stellar specs as those DACs.
You can even slap a hefty price tag on it, but I just want innovation instead of a horsepower race.
DSP always comes with (at least) some SINAD penalty,let alone that a manufacturer must invest in hiring developers,maintaining and debugging software to death as this comes with great responsibility (imagine a bug exposing or exceeding 0db in all it's glory).
I do not see that coming in a price tag like this.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I see differentiation point: BT signal is routed to ESS for decoding, not done by the BT chip.

What is I/V as in 'new I/V conversion' ?!
Where do you "see" that? I was not aware that ESS has decoding capabilities for the various BT Codecs. They take a basic PCM (IIS or others), or DSD.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I doubt the difference between CD and APTX of any type can be heard at all.

Just try turning the volume down and listening to the distortion...

Overseas

Major Contributor
Where do you "see" that? I was not aware that ESS has decoding capabilities for the various BT Codecs. They take a basic PCM (IIS or others), or DSD.
It is in the official presentation. They route the BT signal to ESS.

Palladium

At this point I will give not terrible or fine to DACs that cost over 200 dollars but don't include DSP. It's just a pointless waste of resources at this point.

Same for any expensive speaker that can't perform well when placed next to walls.

Reactions: Koo
Top Bottom