• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

kukocz

Forum Donor
@amirm according to the spec E70 has selectable gain 2/4V and 2.5/5V - Have you got chance to measue SINAD with the latter setting?

JSmith

Master Contributor
It is great to see 12V triggers, as the omission of same if often frustrating.

This is using one ES9028PRO chip utilising all channels;

2b8712b5570364ff98efaabd7e050fe0.jpg

@JohnYang1997, nice DAC... I'd really like to see the A-weighted specs removed though from product info. There is really no need to inflate already exceeding impressive test results, they speak for themselves;

454da388ff151c585562b34ab865f584.jpg

Thanks @amirm for this review and providing further interesting test data.

JSmith

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Chinese DAC measurements are all boring because all of them are textbook perfect :)
I’m excited for the L70 measurements though, I wonder how much power it can deliver into 12 Ohms

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With this kind of "near perfection" gear we are getting closer to the end of our hobby. The fun will be over soon.
Thank God - then we can focus just (and only) on listening to music :p

But actually - it will be a long time before we can get to the same level of perfection on transducers, and room effects.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not?
bluetooth is incredibly convenient, and for casual listening it's fine, plus frankly I have serious doubts that an average user can hear audible differences between a bit perfect signal and a bluetooth Ldac 990kb/s

Interesting question for @amirm : as a trained listener, especially for compression artefacts, can you?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Why do you think they still put stupid Hi-Res stickers on any of their products?
This stickers is an almost no-go for me.
Combined with multicolor,last decade ago fonts OLED's it's a definitive no-go.
At least this one seems to have no OLED,I would be grateful if someone can confirm it.
Other that that If it proves itself reliable over the next year I'll get one.

Stephen

I'm content after a short learning period with my Volumio software.
To intregrate Qobuz (and some other services) you need to pay a monthly fee. Not acceptable... Still, I could pay something at once, no problem.

MarnixM

To intregrate Qobuz (and some other services) you need to pay a monthly fee. Not acceptable... Still, I could pay something at once, no problem.
That was the "old" approach; Already for the Primo they offered a lifetime subscription, but rather exspensive. For the new range products (Rivo - Primo II) the subscription is included (as it should be).

Stephen

That was the "old" approach; Already for the Primo they offered a lifetime subscription, but rather exspensive. For the new range products (Rivo - Primo II) the subscription is included (as it should be).
Yes, rather expensive...

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes! and USB file management, but the software is the main problem... it's the stumbling block. I've tried a few streamers and none of them have really good software.
The problem is - why you should buy this product if your main source is bluetooth ?
You can use a device for 30 dollar for this, and youre not gonna hear any difference because bluetooth ( including all ” high res ” solutions ) is not a bitperfect format .

PeteL

Major Contributor
The problem is - why you should buy this product if your main source is bluetooth ?
You can use a device for 30 dollar for this, and youre not gonna hear any difference because bluetooth ( including all ” high res ” solutions ) is not a bitperfect format .
No need for this device, I already have a DAC, but many of us use many sources, not just a "main" source. That's why DACs have many inputs. Bluetooth is extremely convenient, whether it's for friends coming over wanting to hear his playlist or some Youtube from his own phones, whether you share your sound systems with your teenage kids, etc. There is not just one single way to listen to music, like sitting right in the sweet spot critically analyzing for the last bit of fidelity. We listen to music while having dinner, while cleaning the house, Why should someone purchase an extra 30$ device just for this and need extra analog inputs to your system when it can be integrated with the DAC?

Stephen

I do use bluetooth to stream my USB files with a third party software. The solution is not optimal as I have a big living room with an open kitchen, some electronics are tampering with the bluetooth connection.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Stephen

Is it too much to ask that Bluesound, Cambridge, Yamaha and others HIFI hardware maker make software that allows us to manage our USB files in a pleasant way?
If volumio can do it why can't they?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need for this device, I already have a DAC, but many of us use many sources, not just a "main" source. That's why DACs have many inputs. Bluetooth is extremely convenient, whether it's for friends coming over wanting to hear his playlist or some Youtube from his own phones, whether you share your sound systems with your teenage kids, etc. There is not just one single way to listen to music, like sitting right in the sweet spot critically analyzing for the last bit of fidelity. We listen to music while having dinner, while cleaning the house, Why should someone purchase an extra 30$ device just for this and need extra analog inputs to your system when it can be integrated with the DAC?

Properly implemented BT LDAC has SINAD >100dB, and as you also said very convenient to the point it's my primary method to listen in my living room. What's not to love?

Top Bottom