• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

JaccoW

Greetings, this is my first post, and English is not my native language. So, sorry for possible mistakes. I'm facing a choice, d10s e30 or e50. The price difference is decent, but will there be the same difference in sound between them? I just need a dac to replace my old one that broke. I listen through a Senkhi hd 650 and a tube amp. What would be better? Does it make sense to buy the E50 right away if I don't need its functions, or is the d10s enough to play just a good sound? Judging by the measurements, they all show exorbitant results, up to 120db, the difference between them is 2-3db and the price is $ 150 -)
I kind of like the glow of the orange screen of the E30 and E50, it reminds me of the glow of a tube amp. Really the main difference between the two for you would probably be the balanced (E50) vs. unbalanced (E30) output.

Bel Canto

Greetings, this is my first post, and English is not my native language. So, sorry for possible mistakes. I'm facing a choice, d10s e30 or e50. The price difference is decent, but will there be the same difference in sound between them? I just need a dac to replace my old one that broke. I listen through a Senkhi hd 650 and a tube amp. What would be better? Does it make sense to buy the E50 right away if I don't need its functions, or is the d10s enough to play just a good sound? Judging by the measurements, they all show exorbitant results, up to 120db, the difference between them is 2-3db and the price is $ 150 -)
I recently changed from E30 to the E50 and even using the single ended outputs, the performance improvements are very noticeable. E50 has quite a bit more micro details and better controlled bass. Worth the price increase as you also future proof yourself at the same time.

TSky

I kind of like the glow of the orange screen of the E30 and E50, it reminds me of the glow of a tube amp. Really the main difference between the two for you would probably be the balanced (E50) vs. unbalanced (E30) output.
I also like this pleasant color in the E series. It gives some kind of comfort and tempo.

TSky

I recently changed from E30 to the E50 and even using the single ended outputs, the performance improvements are very noticeable. E50 has quite a bit more micro details and better controlled bass. Worth the price increase as you also future proof yourself at the same time.
Thanks for the answer. Very useful information.

MeZoX

My topping E50 should be arriving from overseas next week , went into alot of trouble to get it since i live in a 3rd world country, i will be using it with 2.1 setup ( KRK 8G4 + KRK10s2 ) , I currently have an Audioengine D1 how much improvement would i notice ? I bought it primarily for the balanced outputs and the extra RCA output would come in handy for use with another amp and headphones , and the remote
Sadly Tidal doesnt offer its service in my country so I don't think i can make use of MQA

Mark Lawless

Thanks for the answer. Very useful information.
I did the same E30 to E50 and you're exactly right I notice the improved bass, less jitter more focus. Some music sounded very different but better. Finally the coax out on my Bluesound node sounds great. E30 coax input didn't handle jitter as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
I did the same E30 to E50 and you're exactly right I notice the improved bass, less jitter more focus. Some music sounded very different but better. Finally the coax out on my Bluesound node sounds great. E30 coax input didn't handle jitter as well.
You noticed the way off hearing threshold level of jitter improvement? :p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I notice the improved bass, less jitter more focus. Some music sounded very different but better. Finally the coax out on my Bluesound node sounds great. E30 coax input didn't handle jitter as well.

Uh huh...

Pjotter

How to upgrade the firmware of the E50 Topping DAC on MacOS, that's the question.
Following their website, instructions and thorough email exchanges with Topping: NOTHING seems to work.
I can simply not open an .exe file on a Mac, nor their Topping-app.
Who can tell me the working procedure ?

Pjotter

Hi ZEK. So, is there a procedure to upgrade on a Mac, their website seems to say so.

whiplash

just received my E50 and i expected alot from it but the sound just doesnt get to me, compared to my ifi zen dac signature v2 pretty much the same price category it can not even come close when it comes to the sound

its my first toppings dac, and how should i discribe the sound its somehow sterile "digital" sounding the ifi has its own touch that makes it realy interesting also a much better sound stage

Eggs Ackley

just received my E50 and i expected alot from it but the sound just doesnt get to me, compared to my ifi zen dac signature v2 pretty much the same price category it can not even come close when it comes to the sound

its my first toppings dac, and how should i discribe the sound its somehow sterile "digital" sounding the ifi has its own touch that makes it realy interesting also a much better sound stage
I would describe the sound of mine as clean and neutral without any coloration. That 's what I was looking for in a DAC so I'm happy with mine. Happy enough that I bought two of them.

whiplash

I would describe the sound of mine as clean and neutral without any coloration. That 's what I was looking for in a DAC so I'm happy with mine. Happy enough that I bought two of them.

i understand, im a big fan of analog sound also the schiit multibit for me is a clear winner over the E50

PKAWA

Here's a review of the Ifi zen dac.
You're right in that they don't come close to one another.

whiplash

Here's a review of the Ifi zen dac.
You're right in that they don't come close to one another.

nope thats a different unit, im talking about the zen dac signature v2 not the zen dac v2

but im sure it doenst matter because they are both hybrid multibit dacs and they will never get the scores you guys are looking for - why ever anyone would look for a score anyway, for me its much more important how it sounds

Last edited:
Top Bottom