• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping - E30 II vs E30 II Lite

technomad

Hello

Which one should I buy? The price differential isn't important. Going to use it plugged into my laptop with my AKG K92 headphones mainly. Budget but very comfortable for casual listening at my desk whilst working. I am currently listening using the iFi Go Link. For a serious listening session I will be sitting in front of my HiFi.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Both of them would require an additional Headphone Amp to be used with the AKG K92.

Therefore, perhaps consider the Topping DX1 instead. It has the same DAC chip, plus a built-in Headphone Amp.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Amazon they have used SMSL C200 with Aoshida-US warranty 1 yr for $125 and they sound great with all the power you need in a compact form factor.

I've gotten several and another coming in today. You'll burn out a DAC trying to run headphones off it with no amplifier. Have seen several broken ones in eBay from people doing that. The SMSL C200 at that price is a huge win.

OP
technomad

technomad

Can't believe I missed the lack of headphone socket. Thanks for pointing that out. I own an original Cambridge Audio DACMagic but it's not in the country I am in now and takes up quite a bit of space. I had planned to move it here but ran out of baggage allowance.

OP
technomad

technomad

I am in India so choices are fewer.

This is the place where I bought my iFi Go Link has the best choice I've seen in India and I like that it is a company run by HiFi enthusiasts.

I did buy a AIYIMA DAC A5 Pro in Thailand last December and use with a pair of Edifier MR400 on my desk there. I see they are also available on Amazon India.

OP
technomad

technomad

Honestly if HeadphoneZone don't sell it I am unlikely to find it in India.

salmo

Honestly if HeadphoneZone don't sell it I am unlikely to find it in India.
Looks like they sell Topping DX1 there, it's a nice piece of hardware. Like staticV3 said - with the same DAC chip as E30II and E30II Lite.

OP
technomad

technomad

I will order the DX1 tomorrow. Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

mc.god

Your headphones are very efficient and easy to drive but have a really awkward FR, I highly encourage you to eq them if you run Windows on you laptop. Topping DX1 is more than enough even with negative preamp needed for eq but you could also consider SMSL C200 and Topping DX3 Pro + (they are both on the site you linked) for more headroom.

OP
technomad

technomad

I bought the Topping DX1 and I am happy with it so far. How would you suggest I equalize the headphone? My Legion laptop comes with Nahmic in which I always have the effects turned off.

Some people seem to recommend Equalizer APO.

I also own a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3's which seemed to have a flatter response.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I bought the Topping DX1 and I am happy with it so far. How would you suggest I equalize the headphone? My Legion laptop comes with Nahmic in which I always have the effects turned off.

Some people seem to recommend Equalizer APO.
I would suggest you try Equalizer APO without the optional Peace GUI.
The standard EQApo GUI does just fine and has some advantages.

Your Laptop's Nahimic software should cease to function when you use USB out, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Attached below is a PEQ preset for the K92 which I created using https://autoeq.app/

It's a super handy tool, highly recommended.

To import it into EQApo, open the Editor, add an "Include->Include configuration file" block and load in the txt file there.

You may have to move the txt to the appropriate folder to make it readable, the software will tell you.

One thing I recommend you do is to delete the first preamp line from the txt, then manually add that preamp back into EQApo with the identical preamp value. It should look roughly like this (different preset shown here):
Screenshot 2023-11-22 161053 (2).jpg

That way, you can easily turn the EQ on and off without a jump in volume.
Makes judging the EQ a lot easier.

Your Peak gain should never exceed -0.0dB:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 161053 (2).jpg

If it does (the number will turn red), simply reduce the preamp gain.

Attachments

• AKG K92 ParametricEq.txt
    504 bytes · Views: 2
Top Bottom