• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Vladetz

Ordered E30 today on Aliexpress. About 100$ with all coupons. Most suppliers on Aliexpress now ship with S/N starting 2011

imnotdrunk

I got mine from Aliexpress too. Surprisigly the DHL Express shipping option (from Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store) was under 10€, and the unit arrived in a week!

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder can this work with PS5 and have it's tempest audio dsp ?

terasankka

Hello, Can I use the USB port of my Rasberry Pi 4 that is running Ropieee to power the E30? The same Rpi 4 would also provide the streaming via the other USB port.

Ie. One Rpi4 running Ropieee Roon Bridge and connecting USB cable and the E30 power cable to the E30 DAC?

My RPI is powered be a linear 5v/3a PSU.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I want to use my Samsung android mobile connected to E30, will buying a Usb type c to OTG will suffice? I believe this OTG cable can connect to provided USB cable that comes along with the product. I intend to run the online radio app that is in my android mobile, rather then run my laptop for a long time.
They make for a tidy little stack. I krazy-glued the little feet of the L30 to the to top of the E30, makes it easier to move around:

View attachment 90495
I believe that means they're common law married now, right?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The distortion level of the Topping L30 is very close to the distortion of the analyzer that Amrim uses:

View attachment 90652

This graph displays the difference between the THX and L30:

View attachment 90653

The Topping unit has 10db less noise and distortion than the THX. When I read the review of the L30, I knew I had to get one, in spite of having a perfectly serviceable Schiit Magni 3. The audible difference is small, but at the same time it's there. Mind you, I'm not sure that I'd hear the difference in the DBT, but nonetheless I'm glad to get the Topping pair of the E30 and L30. Hopefully Topping will make a single box version of the same, with built in power supplies and a single, standard, power cord.
Those are from the Massdrop THX 789 not the 889.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"When I said the THX sound better I wasn't talking about the measured distortion but the tonality / sound signature" It. Doesnt. Have.One

"As I alluded to, the THX feed more power that affects the sound and that to me sounds better overall than the L30s." Not if the volume out of your headphones is measured to be the same level from both amps. If there is even a slight volume difference it will change your whole perception of the sound and the comparison.
Agreed. I have the Drop THX 789 and balanced is superb.

GDK

Forum Donor
Hello, Can I use the USB port of my Rasberry Pi 4 that is running Ropieee to power the E30? The same Rpi 4 would also provide the streaming via the other USB port.

Ie. One Rpi4 running Ropieee Roon Bridge and connecting USB cable and the E30 power cable to the E30 DAC?

My RPI is powered be a linear 5v/3a PSU.
No, the E30 needs to be separately powered.

terasankka

No, the E30 needs to be separately powered.

Yes, I know and that is what I mean. I would use two cables to the RPI4. The E30 Power cable AND the USB cable for the data.

The question was. Can the RPI4 USB port provide enough power for the E30 and same time do the data transfer on the OTHER cable.

mundee

Yes, I know and that is what I mean. I would use two cables to the RPI4. The E30 Power cable AND the USB cable for the data.

The question was. Can the RPI4 USB port provide enough power for the E30 and same time do the data transfer on the OTHER cable.
it should work but you may need to check for noise introduced with this set up.. why not just plug it into a phone charger wall wart?

terasankka

Yes, I can do that. I was just thinking to save some clutter, but you are right. I have plenty of apple USB chargers around.

slartibart

I received my E30 yesterday and set it up connected to my Squeezebox Touch with Enhanced Digital Output via USB and it sounds great. I have one issue though which is that when the sample rate of the source changes the E30 falls silent. It displays the new sample rate (DAC mode) but no sound. If I switch inputs to coax and then back to USB it plays properly. Also if I hit mute then unmute it plays properly. If I connect via Coax then there is no issue.
Has anyone else using Squeezebox Touch via USB solved this issue? Any thoughts are welcome

GDK

Forum Donor

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I just tried and plugged the E30 power supply into my Pi3B+ and it seems to work. I am also using the Pi display and there is no evidence of there being any CPU throttling due to insufficient power.

Aldoszx

The answer is YES, the RPi4 could provide enough power to feed the E30.
I have this setup and is working just fine.
To be sure, try to have 5v 4A power supply for RPi.
It is working well also with official RPi 5v 3A power supply.

MRPR

We ordered one as well from SHENZHEN AUDIO on Aliexpress ~£77 ($100.49) so a fair bit cheaper than the £110) on amazon, we'll see how long it takes to come and if there are customs, it's already dispatched though. Will initially be using with a CCA over Optical but also have a Pi Zero running Squeezelite (from a RPi 3 running LMS) in another room so will give that a go over usb.

slartibart

I usually use 5V mobile adapter but you can try power bank. (Now I only use power bank:p:p:p)
When I received mine I initially used a power bank (mainly to avoid having to mess around with the spaghetti of wires behind the TV) and I was surprised by how much the power bank was drained overnight with the DAC in standby. I have now switched to a Samsung phone charger and can't hear any difference in background noise.
Has anyone made any power measurements for the DAC in normal operation versus standby?

Top Bottom