• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering getting this DAC for a second headphone system. I would use an old Sonore microRendu to get the bits from wired Ethernet. I am curious as to how to power the unit. I will not have a computer anywhere near this system. What external power supplies are recommended for this DAC.

I will connect this DAC to the RCA inputs on a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp.
I use an old Motorola phone charger that outputs 5.2V with a max output of 2A or something, but the DAC will only draw the amount of amps(A) it wants so you just got to make sure it's rated high enough for amps, but you do need a 5V output. Yeah, so the USB power cable plugs into my old Motorola phone charger.

Dac Visitor

Ik gebruik een oude Sonos-voeding. Precies goed 5v 0.3a en de stekker past ook. Perfect geluid.

Dac Visitor

I use an old Sonos power supply. Just right 5v 0.3a and the plug also fits. Perfect sound.

Tup3x

Thanks for the info re WASAPI and different players...I use iTunes which I think uses Direct Sound or Windows Session if I remember rightly as choosable options, can't remember which I use...the default one I think. Are you sure re the DAC "handling" volume control, my understanding is that if you're controlling the main windows slider then it's being handled by Windows and the DACs are just receiving that signal and then doing "what they want with it". I've got a Topping E30 too though, and I know for example that handles volume when in preamp mode as I can leave windows slider at 100% or 97% or whatever and adjust the volume directly on the DAC itself via remote control and the windows volume slider will stay where it is and instead the volume will change at the DAC...so my intuition tells me that this is the only time a DAC will handle volume control.
It's very easy to check: volume control works with ASIO and exclusive WASAPI, in direct mode and "DSP mode". This will of course vary from DAC to DAC and drivers.

So, at least when using direct mode and ASIO and exclusive WASAPI, it's handled by the Sabre DAC in AE-5 for example. Likely in all other cases too.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very easy to check: volume control works with ASIO and exclusive WASAPI, in direct mode and "DSP mode". This will of course vary from DAC to DAC and drivers.

So, at least when using direct mode and ASIO and exclusive WASAPI, it's handled by the Sabre DAC in AE-5 for example. Likely in all other cases too.
(I found out today that ITunes uses Windows Audio Session which I also found out is the same as WASAPI).

iamwhoiam

Hi all. I'm getting quite significant low-mid frequency distortion with my E30 S/N 2004, arrived last week but just testing today. This is with the standard Windows 10 and the Topping drivers, at all sample rate and bit depths. Not sure if I just notice the distortion more at these frequencies?

Just tested Optical. A huge improvement, but still significant distortion at 0dB DAC volume. So something to do with the USB input with distortion?

Thoughts? Do I have a defective unit?

Last edited:

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
significant distortion at 0dB DAC volume
What happens to the distortion if, changing nothing else, you reduce the DAC volume to -10dB and also try -20dB?

I would stick $10 on the likelihood that you are (for whatever reason) overloading whatever the DAC is feeding.

iamwhoiam

What happens to the distortion if, changing nothing else, you reduce the DAC volume to -10dB and also try -20dB?

I would stick $10 on the likelihood that you are (for whatever reason) overloading whatever the DAC is feeding.

Significantly better at -10 to -20dB.

Is this standard behaviour though, to run low not at 0dB or DAC mode?

Sadly I don't have the input sensitivity specs for my headphone amp.

iamwhoiam

The other issue is huge amounts of EMI when using USB power through the PC which settles using an iPhone plug. Reading through most comments here, most seem to have complete clarity even with the PC powered route?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

He's saying you're overloading whatever you're feeding the DAC signal to. It sounds like that is the case. If that is the case then it has nothing to do with "standard behaviour" because that would just instead be a limitation of whatever you're connecting it to. I guess most people would either run the E30 at 0dB or use the preamp function and run anything from say -20dB to 0dB to allow for volume control. You could try hooking up your E30 to something else that you know can accept the full 2V of the E30 DAC output, and if you get no distortion then you know it's not a fault with your E30.

iamwhoiam

He's saying you're overloading whatever you're feeding the DAC signal to. It sounds like that is the case. If that is the case then it has nothing to do with "standard behaviour" because that would just instead be a limitation of whatever you're connecting it to. I guess most people would either run the E30 at 0dB or use the preamp function and run anything from say -20dB to 0dB to allow for volume control. You could try hooking up your E30 to something else that you know can accept the full 2V of the E30 DAC output, and if you get no distortion then you know it's not a fault with your E30.

Yup, I understand what he's saying. However, the amp has accepted 2Vrms from other sources before fine without issue, hence my suspicion that my input sensitivity is fine.

I think we're on the right track though so will have a play with other components. I just didn't really want to attenuate the source.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, I understand what he's saying. However, the amp has accepted 2Vrms from other sources before fine without issue, hence my suspicion that my input sensitivity is fine.

I think we're on the right track though so will have a play with other components. I just didn't really want to attenuate the source.
That is quite strange then, sheds a bit more doubt on your E30.

millicurie999

Hi guys,

Just received my E30 #2005 from Apos. Thanks to all your in-depth review and discussion. I haven't gone thru all 98 pages but how do I turn off Auto-Power On? I want it to stay on even when there is no signal but still have the option to turn it off when I am done with it. The manual shows the 2 screen displays A-O and A-C, but doesn't indicate how to select either one.

Thanks in advance.

yejun

Hi guys,

Just received my E30 #2005 from Apos. Thanks to all your in-depth review and discussion. I haven't gone thru all 98 pages but how do I turn off Auto-Power On? I want it to stay on even when there is no signal but still have the option to turn it off when I am done with it. The manual shows the 2 screen displays A-O and A-C, but doesn't indicate how to select either one.

Thanks in advance.
Press auto button on remote. I think A-C means off.

yodog

Mine is a SN2006 and it sometimes like never switches off regardless of the mode I use. It’s being fed from a bluesound node 2i via coax. Only remedy is if I manually force reboot the node 2i, then usually it seems to resume normal auto on and auto off behavior.

Top Bottom