• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

yodog

For anyone who ordered their E30 from Apos Audio, or is interested in purchasing from them, I've been informed that corrected production units will be available on June 10th. If you have a defective E30 bought from them that's beyond their 30 day return window, they'll replace it for you with a corrected unit as a warranty claim if you wish.

Their customer service (and fast delivery times!) has been top-notch for me. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Thank you for this info. I will contact them now regarding this issue.

June 10th is when the coax digital rca input will be fixed?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The E30 has better measured performance than the KTB, most obviously in the 'ESS hump'. Whether you can hear the difference is another matter - the KTB is still pretty good, and it remains unclear whether or not the 'hump' is audible.

dpippel

Thank you for this info. I will contact them now regarding this issue.

June 10th is when the coax digital rca input will be fixed?

They told me the units they'll have on June 10th will have the polarity issue corrected on all three inputs.

Migel83

Hi,
what happens to the E30s that are still in the stores of various retailers, are they still sold and the buyer has to take care of the polarity himself by sending it to China?
Or do the dealers have to send all their stocks back and are now waiting for the correct delivery that is free of errors?
Somehow it's all a bit opaque for those who want to buy one. I would like to have one but I'm just waiting 4-8 weeks because I don't want to bother with it to have to complain about it the firmware update is now correct for USB but not for the other connections.
Degree if you rely on the optical connection for consoles.

Migel83

One more question does this board make sense to operate the E30 with it?
You would have to install them in the PC and plug them in via the power supply.
Which would not be bad now, but this would also switch the E 30 off when the PC shuts down, and it may also solve the problem of operating it via the USB port from the PC, which was sometimes reported to be better to operate it with the mobile phone charging cable or the power bank.
If a card that can also be connected separately requires a separate power supply, what do you think? A good acceptable power bank costs similarly in price.
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-100-ultra-iii-usb-isolator-audio-filter-for-pc/

vrobec

Hi,
what happens to the E30s that are still in the stores of various retailers, are they still sold and the buyer has to take care of the polarity himself by sending it to China?
Or do the dealers have to send all their stocks back and are now waiting for the correct delivery that is free of errors?
Somehow it's all a bit opaque for those who want to buy one. I would like to have one but I'm just waiting 4-8 weeks because I don't want to bother with it to have to complain about it the firmware update is now correct for USB but not for the other connections.
Degree if you rely on the optical connection for consoles.

I'm very interested what batch will Audiophonics get? As I know we have Audiophonics employee on Audiosciencereview, so it will be good if he could write some words about it.

Tiller

They told me the units they'll have on June 10th will have the polarity issue corrected on all three inputs.
Thank you for the good news.
Yet, sorry to ask, but what about the (non)-issue of pop sounds?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One more question does this board make sense to operate the E30 with it?
You would have to install them in the PC and plug them in via the power supply.
Which would not be bad now, but this would also switch the E 30 off when the PC shuts down, and it may also solve the problem of operating it via the USB port from the PC, which was sometimes reported to be better to operate it with the mobile phone charging cable or the power bank.
If a card that can also be connected separately requires a separate power supply, what do you think? A good acceptable power bank costs similarly in price.
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-100-ultra-iii-usb-isolator-audio-filter-for-pc/
Measurements are taking with pc usb power so it performs very well. You don't need anything. You can use phone charger if it's necessary.

jevenator

Question:
Few days ago I tested the optical output from my tv to the E30 which then goes to my jbl305p mkii. It was working great. Just now if I plug in the optical cable I get a horrible jittering tick noise and nothing else. Optical cable is working perfectly fine with my Samsung sound bar though. Is this a problem with my E30?

I wanted to follow up with this as I did some additional testing. I have a 2016 Samsung smart tv. My JBL's are better sounding for movies than my sound bar that I bought 4 years ago so I want to use them.

I'm connecting the TV to the E30 which is powered by a battery bank. I have an RCA -> 1/4" input to my speakers.

Sound will play through the speakers through the spotify app on my TV that's how I tested it initially and it still works. However, for any other application (I guess you can clasify it as any application with video) such as Disney +, Youtube, Netflix (netflix loading screen will play a sound but nothing else) I get that horrible jittering noise and no real sound. It's like when you get a frozen screen on your computer and the audio glitches out. When I play something it will only increase that sound.

What are the thoughts? Is this some flaw that the E30 cannot decode these sound files from the TV applications?!

samsa

What are the thoughts? Is this some flaw that the E30 cannot decode these sound files from the TV applications?!

There is no "decoding" on the coax/optical inputs. They accept raw PCM data (up to 24/192). Period.

You cannot (for instance) send them DSD or DoP (DSD over PCM) data. Nor can you send higher sample-rate PCM (the USB interface accepts DSD, DoP and PCM up 24/768).

Perhaps your first step in debugging this problem would be to read the owner's manual and find out what your TV is sending out over the optical interface. My guess would be DSD audio, but that's just a guess.

jevenator

There is no "decoding" on the coax/optical inputs. They accept raw PCM data (up to 24/192). Period.

You cannot (for instance) send them DSD or DoP (DSD over PCM) data. Nor can you send higher sample-rate PCM (the USB interface accepts DSD, DoP and PCM up 24/768).

Perhaps your first step in debugging this problem would be to read the owner's manual and find out what your TV is sending out over the optical interface. My guess would be DSD audio, but that's just a guess.

My model #UN60KU630DFXZA for the TV. I looked through the owner's manual and didn't find anywhere where it specfiically says what format it send out. There's a test function for the sound and it works and I reset the sound settings. Still the same problems in the applications. Even in the free TV plus app Samsung has. I guess anytime there is video associated with the sound it will not work.

I don't have another DAC to test it out.

samsa

My model #UN60KU630DFXZA for the TV. I looked through the owner's manual and didn't find anywhere where it specfiically says what format it send out. There's a test function for the sound and it works and I reset the sound settings. Still the same problems in the applications. Even in the free TV plus app Samsung has. I guess anytime there is video associated with the sound it will not work.

Google is your friend.

ReaderZ

How much better? Is it worth upgrading? I think KTB is also transparent but not sure

Well, read the review here, AP is better than anyone's ear when it come to DAC performance.

Top Bottom