• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

yejun

That's different. It's the internal modulation that's being altered. If you measure any AKM dac the output noise level is fixed. If you change the level in digital domain it will still suffer from SNR loss. No digital headroom. Do some measurements.

That's a really bad news for anyone want to use E30 as preamp.

NgxHS7

Can someone briefly explain the pros and cons of using the E30 as a DAC/preamp over just using it as a DAC and having an external preamp to adjust volume?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can someone briefly explain the pros and cons of using the E30 as a DAC/preamp over just using it as a DAC and having an external preamp to adjust volume?
Depends on the quality of the Preamp and the performance of the complete system.
Assuming the preamp and the power amp are top tier high performance.
Using external preamp preserves SNR much better than the internal volume control.
There can be pop sound due to the high gain of the power amp will be reduced because the external preamp also attenuates the pop when switching songs.
You may lose the functionality of remote using external preamp but you as well might not.

Toku

Major Contributor
Woohoo, as of today my E30 DAC is in the air as we speak on it's way to me! I ordered it on 14th May from Shenzhenaudio through Amazon.
I ordered a SMSL product from AliExpress to Shenzhen Audio. The goods were shipped 3 days later, but the tracking of the baggage stopped when it was taken over by the airline in China.
Two and a half months have passed since then and I have requested Shenzhen Audio and AliExpress to refund or reship the item. But they don't respond at all. Shenzhen Audio and AliExpress disclaim any liability for accidents during shipping. That seems to be the common sense in the Chinese market.
SMSL's directly managed HIFI EXPRESS warranty terms clearly state that accidents in transit are not guaranteed.
I can't understand such compensation conditions at all.

I'm sorry to write something that makes you uneasy, but be careful when purchasing from China.

NgxHS7

I ordered a SMSL product from AliExpress to Shenzhen Audio. The goods were shipped 3 days later, but the tracking of the baggage stopped when it was taken over by the airline in China.
Two and a half months have passed since then and I have requested Shenzhen Audio and AliExpress to refund or reship the item. But they don't respond at all. Shenzhen Audio and AliExpress disclaim any liability for accidents during shipping. That seems to be the common sense in the Chinese market.
SMSL's directly managed HIFI EXPRESS warranty terms clearly state that accidents in transit are not guaranteed.

I'm sorry to write something that makes you uneasy, but be careful when purchasing from China.

Wow, this doesn't look good for my E30. I knew there is a huge backlog in China, but two and a half months is ridiculous. And no reply from the seller.

I ordered mine on the 5th of May, and since the 15th, it's "handed over to airline". I am also in Japan, so there goes my hope of getting it any time soon.

I can see myself just doing a chargeback and getting something locally. A real shame.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wow, this doesn't look good for my E30. I knew there is a huge backlog in China, but two and a half months is ridiculous. And no reply from the seller.

I ordered mine on the 5th of May, and since the 15th, it's "handed over to airline". I am also in Japan, so there goes my hope of getting it any time soon.

I can see myself just doing a chargeback and getting something locally. A real shame.
The situation is getting much better. Amir's A90 was took 7 days from shipped to received. So there's still chance you are getting this quick.

NgxHS7

The situation is getting much better. Amir's A90 was took 7 days from shipped to received. So there's still chance you are getting this quick.

But how was it shipped? I can understand if it was DHL or the like, but the postal services are screwed. I chose EMS, but even that is taking longer than usual.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But how was it shipped? I can understand if it was DHL or the like, but the postal services are screwed. I chose EMS, but even that is taking longer than usual.
Just pray for the best..

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered my E30, when it was first released, from Apos Audio. This was at the height of the pandemic. It was fulfilled at their warehouse in Shenzen and was shipped DHL. It arrived in less than a week.

I ordered one of these from a Chinese vendor on Amazon Marketplace on April 14. The "expected delivery date" was "June 8-29". It arrived May 13. It changed hands multiple times along its way, and the tracking information along the way was dodgy at best.

I would not try that with anything expensive, though Amazon Marketplace does afford you a little more protection than AliExpress.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry to say that if you assume just because your tracking says, "handed over to airline" or, "departed country of origin" that your parcel has left China, you are sadly mistaken. It doesn't necessarily mean the package has actually moved out of China. It simply means the airline has it ready to be sent on the next available flight, which might not be for a while yet.
Well, tracking information said "Arrived at Hong Kong hub. 4PX", and now it's said "shipment departed from airport of origin country 4PX HKG, Hong Kong". I'll keep an eye on it, I feel fairly confident that it has left.

Well that does suck. I think I read the terms & conditions on Shenzhen Audio, and I think I remember them saying that they take it up with the courier companies for you if it doesn't arrive, but you have to let them know sooner rather than later...if you leave the communication too long then you're not covered...I remember them saying you'd need to contact them within X number of days or weeks from date of expected delivery.

EDIT: yeah, this is what they say:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/pages/shipping-return
"If, for some reason, you don’t receive your order within the estimated time frame provided above and suspect that it might be lost in transit, please submit a support ticket from your transactions page and we can look into the order with the courier. Lost-in-transit requests must be submitted to SHENZHENAUDIO Support within 4 months of the date of shipping or before the courier archives the tracking information."

Last edited:

NgxHS7

Well, tracking information said "Arrived at Hong Kong hub. 4PX", and now it's said "shipment departed from airport of origin country 4PX HKG, Hong Kong". I'll keep an eye on it, I feel fairly confident that it has left.

Well that does suck. I think I read the terms & conditions on Shenzhen Audio, and I think I remember them saying that they take it up with the courier companies for you if it doesn't arrive, but you have to let them know sooner rather than later...if you leave the communication too long then you're not covered...I remember them saying you'd need to contact them within X number of days or weeks from date of expected delivery.
I hope you get it soon! Waiting sucks big time.

conuss

You need an amp that has less than 20uV noise to see benefits.
1.png
"Min - ... Max - 30μ"
Is this the noise you're talking about? Is a power amplifier with this parameter suitable?..

Attachments

• NC122MP_02xx.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Tiller

I am very sorry to say but financially Amazon and AliExpress are not very reliable. The only safe place to buy from China is eBay.
If for ANY reason you do not get the item, eBay will refund you.

facboy

I am very sorry to say but financially Amazon and AliExpress are not very reliable. The only safe place to buy from China is eBay.

what's wrong with Amazon, out of interest?

odyo

That is a legit robbery.

odyo

I don't understand this volume thing. I have some questions

1- I have soundcard installed on my pc. SBX AE5
I'm controlling the volume via windows since there is no other volume control with the soundcard. I have volume +/- button on my keyboard, very convenient and easy adjustment. So how am i actually controlling the volume, when i adjust it i rarely get very small pop noise during adjustment while listening music and even more rarely get channel volume imbalance only during adjustment, it does not stay after adjustment and it does not happen when no playback. Soundcard supports 32 bit 384khz. What is the theoretical difference between 24/192 vs 32/384 setting in windows sound panel ? Is it related to volume control ? I'm asking the theoretical difference not practical (audible or not).
My active speakers has its own volume control knob (Edifier R1280T) but its making hissing at high volumes. I'm using it at 50%. Headphones never do hissing even at max gain and max volume.

2- Now i'm gonna use E30+L30 stack. E30 dac mode, L30 will be connected to headphones and Edifier R1280T. I'm gonna leave the Edifier at 50% volume again but how my volume control will work with L30 volume knob and windows 10 ? Am i gonna leave the windows at 100% and use the volume knob on L30 or volume knob will be linked to windows volume control ? Which one is better volume control and what is the difference between them ? I'm guessing windows at 100%, E30 in dac mode, signal will be pure and L30 volume knob will control the volume with the amplification ? @JohnYang1997

Tup3x

I don't understand this volume thing. I have some questions

1- I have soundcard installed on my pc. SBX AE5
I'm controlling the volume via windows since there is no other volume control with the soundcard. I have volume +/- button on my keyboard, very convenient and easy adjustment. So how am i actually controlling the volume, when i adjust it i rarely get very small pop noise during adjustment while listening music and even more rarely get channel volume imbalance only during adjustment, it does not stay after adjustment and it does not happen when no playback. Soundcard supports 32 bit 384khz. What is the theoretical difference between 24/192 vs 32/384 setting in windows sound panel ? Is it related to volume control ? I'm asking the theoretical difference not practical (audible or not).
My active speakers has its own volume control knob (Edifier R1280T) but its making hissing at high volumes. I'm using it at 50%. Headphones never do hissing even at max gain and max volume.

2- Now i'm gonna use E30+L30 stack. E30 dac mode, L30 will be connected to headphones and Edifier R1280T. I'm gonna leave the Edifier at 50% volume again but how my volume control will work with L30 volume knob and windows 10 ? Am i gonna leave the windows at 100% and use the volume knob on L30 or volume knob will be linked to windows volume control ? Which one is better volume control and what is the difference between them ? I'm guessing windows at 100%, E30 in dac mode, signal will be pure and L30 volume knob will control the volume with the amplification ? @JohnYang1997
When using Windows volume control, it's mapped to AE-5's Sabre DAC. Volume control is handled by the card. I personally haven't heard any channel imbalance while adjusting the volume. That being said, I rarely if ever do it and when I do nothing is playing. There could be some kinks involved. I've set the line out volume to 32% (which is -17.2 dB according to the sound control panel) and further lower it using O2 amp (unity gain, around 10-11 o'clock).

I've had issue where one channel is essentially full blast after switching to direct mode. Adjusting the volume will fix it though. Could be related (and it might be already fixed). I don't usually use direct mode though since I do use the DSP effects (mainly smart volume which works really well and can be quite handy when watching YouTube videos, series and stuff like that).

Last edited:

LeandroFlu

I've had problems with aliexpress sellers, I've bought more than 600x on the platform and never failed to receive a refund, I consider the platform 100% secure.
My E30 was dispatched from singabura 43 days after payment confirmation, contact Shenzhenaudio Store if the order does not arrive on time, I will ask for a refund, no delivery policy was updated during the pandemic, there are still 7 days for shipping. (A mistake or not, I have nothing to do with it)
I didn't even receive an email or message talking about delivery policies during the pandemic, this leads me to believe that such a large platform, everything is running smoothly, I am not obliged to guess.
I made other purchases on the platform during the pandemic, all of which left China, Hong Kong, were shipped within a maximum of 5 days.
Anyway.

Top Bottom