• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is just a switch between the outputs. Cinch in the back or headphone jacks in the front.
Nope, that's the L30 amp. The e30 dac preamp just means the digital attenuation of the signal out of the e30

Frio

Nope, that's the L30 amp. The e30 dac preamp just means the digital attenuation of the signal out of the e30
Yep right I mixed the stack up. The pre and dac function have no measurable difference except the mentioned volume attenuation.

dgnzcn

What is the difference between the dac mode on the E30 and the preamp mode when the power button is long pressed while the E30 is off?

threni

Major Contributor
What is the difference between the dac mode on the E30 and the preamp mode when the power button is long pressed while the E30 is off?

DAC mode is full volume only, and the display shows the bitrate; preamp lets you change the volume with the remote and the display shows the volume (showing the bitrate only when it changes). It's not obvious to me why the choice exists and it's not always in preamp mode.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC mode is full volume only; preamp lets you change the volume with the remote. It's not obvious to me why this option exists and it's not always in preamp mode.

Yes, but the real difference is in DSD mode. Pre-mode will convert DSD to PCM internally, while DAC mode will use DSD-direct.

dgnzcn

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do these changes mean?

Nothing if you only play PCM ;) At full volume, it will sound exactly the same in DAC and pre-modes.

For DSD, it might sound a bit different. I think I remember that DSD direct sounds a bit louder (per datasheet), so will probably appear to sound "better". however the filtering on DSD-direct is probably less good than via the internal DSD->PCM conversion. Which one is objectively is the better one I'm not sure of. Probably more measurements needed to make decent conclusions.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
got everything running now, my Braun turntable is working well after some compatibility issues & running it through the Puffin to E30 via Toslink sounds sweet, L30 goes straight into the Quad 450 and I'm happy out....until I have the cash for RME ADI DAC but that'll take a while

Which record is that? Trying to read the band logo, but it seems I'm at a loss.

EDIT: Hawkwind! :D Doremi Fasol Latido

dgnzcn

No, that will be just fine.

I do not get the power from the computer usb port because it is interfering, I use it with studio monitors. E30 + L30 in L30 preamp mode.

The audio signal is coming from the spdif toslink port to E30, again when I connect it with usb there is interference.

Toku

Major Contributor

dgnzcn

I have been using the AC adapter that came with my iPad for a long time for the D50, D50s and E30. I think it's a very reliable AC adapter.
But I don't think the product you're paying attention to is Apple's genuine AC adapter. I do not recommend it.

I stated that the link in the link is not the one I use, it is an example, I use its own adapter that came out of the ipad2 box, thanks anyway for the warning.

Top Bottom