• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. When I adjust the USB volume down to match (by ear) the volume of the Aux, it sounds more compressed than the audio without the E30. Maybe even the highs are not as clear.
How did you match them? By ear?If you don't match them by actually measuring the outputs and getting them within a very tight margin, all bets are off.. especially if you don't double bind compare. It also explains your other observations.. The loudest one usually sound the best.

Here is my confusion:

Why did I need a DAC in the first place? Look at all the problems it's causing me.
I don't know.. You bought the thing..
Why am I getting these audible differences in output with the E30? It's very noticeable that the midrange has increased.
volume level differences mostly
Is it possible I'm hearing more "accurate" sound now?
That depends on the definition of "accurate". Judging by the use of a tube amp I bet you should not care about "accurate". It has orders of magnitude more influence on sound signature than a DAC.
Would you recommend any different settings/setups than what I've got here?
What do you expect to get out of it?
No really, why did I need a DAC in the first place?
Once again.. you bought it.. did we force you?
I really did not like the sound of those R41Ms when I first got them - way too shrill and mids seemed scooped. But with this E30, they sound good enough to not throw out. I think I need to switch over to some other speakers and play around some more (the Overnight Sensations are usually in this audio path) but I was very puzzled by the results I'm seeing here.

If you don't like your speakers.. change your speakers, not the DAC. They are by far the most influential factor in sound.

Best now to just hook it up and enjoy :)

Reactions: PSO

Geo70

Hi everyone. I received the Topping E30, which is nice little comparison to my first DAC and also taken in China, already broken after a year The AudioGD 15.1 makes some absurd noises using it SPDIf, you can't even download the USB driver anymore. I am very disappointed with them. This DAC feels good for now, the bass is not very high, maybe because I use the icepower class d amplifier, however they are very dry, don't squirt :). The separation of the instruments is beautiful sound is crystal clear, only the bass I miss a little what can I do using a software, something? Thanks for the guide very good, never or already I was prepared for DSD files, I used EZ and I converted Flac to DSF, a wa file, DSD did I do well? can you also privately tell me what I have to do to listen to DSD tracks well done pls? Last instructions for the remote in English can you find thanks?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For DSD, just use any software that can play DSD files directly, or alternatively use a normal player to play DSD over PCM. Make sure it can do bitperfect transport to the DAC for this. The DAC supports both options. Jriver, Foobar, HQPlayer, Jplay, Roon can all do this

TheNannerpus

How did you match them? By ear?If you don't match them by actually measuring the outputs and getting them within a very tight margin, all bets are off.. especially if you don't double bind compare. It also explains your other observations.. The loudest one usually sound the best.

I don't know.. You bought the thing..volume level differences mostlyThat depends on the definition of "accurate". Judging by the use of a tube amp I bet you should not care about "accurate". It has orders of magnitude more influence on sound signature than a DAC.What do you expect to get out of it?Once again.. you bought it.. did we force you?

If you don't like your speakers.. change your speakers, not the DAC. They are by far the most influential factor in sound.

Best now to just hook it up and enjoy :)

Apparently my emojis did not get posted, so you would have seen I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with a couple of my questions.:) I see now that I need to use the emojis above and not the RMB menu ones.

I was hoping for more audible improvement to my music - that the E30 would be superior to the laptop's DAC.

I'll switch over to a Class D I have laying around for giggles. But the tube amp looks way cooler.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently my emojis did not get posted, so you would have seen I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with a couple of my questions.:) I see now that I need to use the emojis above and not the RMB menu ones.

You would have gotten the same reply regardless :p

I was hoping for more audible improvement to my music - that the E30 would be superior to the laptop's DAC.

It is superior objectively, that does not mean that it would be very audible :eek:.

I'll switch over to a Class D I have laying around for giggles. But the tube amp looks way cooler.

There is no reason to remove the tube amp, just don't have it connected :cool: Your class D amp will probably be much more quiet, and noise wise you might already hear the difference between the laptop and the E30. Also the bass will sound very different, and depending on the impedance curve of your speakers, the rest as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO

Pinkerton65

Dear Amirm,
what do you think about the news about the possible explosions of Topping products? Do you think it is an eventuality that could also involve the DACs?
Thanks for you works and greetings from Italy!

This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping E30 USB DAC. It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. Unfortunately I did not get pricing information. As soon as I get it, I will post it.

EDIT: just heard back. US cost is just $129.99!

This is a bit of a new look for Topping DAC, borrowing from DX3 Pro but with dual color display:

It looks better in person than my low-contrast image above. A touch button turns on the unit (takes it out of standby) and also lets you select inputs.

Note that it will be available in black and silver.

Here is the back:

It is a similar setup as Topping D50 with external USB power (mandatory for all inputs). For my testing, I hooked up the power input using the supplied cable from my USB display hub (next to its data port).

A remote control is provided which works identically as previous Topping products. Indeed I used the one from my Topping DX3 Pro to control it.

Internally this shows progression of Topping toward AKM DAC chips in the form of AK4493.

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
View attachment 54919

Distortion levels are incredibly low at -120 dB and lower. The addition of noise takes SINAD down to 112 dB which is most competent for a small little DAC like this:
View attachment 54920

Dynamic range follows suit:
View attachment 54922

When I run my IMD test, I usually expect DACs to struggle to match the Topping DX3 Pro. The E30 nicely matches it in noise and then bests it in final distortion amount:

View attachment 54923

Multitone test shows low enough distortion product as to be fit for the best you can do in any high resolution audio format:
View attachment 54924

Due to low level of noise, some spurious tones are visible but they are utterly inaudible:

View attachment 54925

THD+N versus Frequency is a bit less staller:

View attachment 54926

As is typical, this test includes components well above audible band and there, there is some extra energy which causes the graph to lift up independent of frequency. We can see the reason in the filter settings available:

View attachment 54927

What chip companies call "sharp" is still soft in that instead of roll off at 22.05 kHz, it goes on to 24 kHz. That allows some energy to escape into ultrasonic frequencies as noted.

Linearity is absolutely nailed:

View attachment 54928

Conclusions
The Topping E30 targets a (small) step from state of the art in DAC performance and it delivers. It has attractive look and design element. I have a soft spot for orange LED displays so excuse me for that. :) Note that there is no Bluetooth input so if you care about that, you need to look at other Topping offerings.

With my assumption that this is a mid-priced DAC, I am happy to add Topping E30 to my recommended desktop DACs.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Packed and shipped three boxes, one of which almost clocked 70 pounds! I feel like calling UPS and getting an honorary delivery man badge given how much I am shipping things back and forth. I sure hope this makes you feel guilty enough to donate a few dollars using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear Amirm,
what do you think about the news about the possible explosions of Topping products? Do you think it is an eventuality that could also involve the DACs?
Thanks for you works and greetings from Italy!

Do you have any sources regarding these claimed explosions?

Geo70

Here you can download the format (24BIT / 352.8kHz you can download only 2L-064-SACD, 2L-077-SABD) And DSD Format too, I think all of them can be downloaded here on the web: http://www.2l.no/hires/ for testing

Jet Black

Yes, UAPP goes without saying...
Is uapp a really a must, specially on Android devices? How much of an upgrade to sq does an app like this do? Because technically every dac installed on Android device will be needing it every time as it is dependent on the Android sound system.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do you have any sources regarding these claimed explosions?
Presumably a reference to the failure mode on the L30 that's causing a lot of noise over the last several pages of that review thread. 'Explosion' may be too strong a work, but there's at least one charred opamp, and a picture of a destroyed headphone voice coil among the multiple reports of failed amps and blown headphones. Topping are offering to replace L30s from batches before December's production. The situation is still evolving.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Presumably a reference to the failure mode on the L30 that's causing a lot of noise over the last several pages of that review thread. 'Explosion' may be too strong a work, but there's at least one charred opamp, and a picture of a destroyed headphone voice coil among the multiple reports of failed amps and blown headphones. Topping are offering to replace L30s from batches before December's production. The situation is still evolving.

Well.. that wasn’t to hard was it.. better than some hyperbolic comment about exploding Topping products. No, there is absolutely no reason to think some similar failure mode would lay your E30 (or worse) to waste. It’s a totally different product and therefore a totally different design. If it explodes it would be due to a totally different design flaw :p

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank a lot @somebodyelse, Sorry for the word "explosion", but I read some Facebook warnings that caused a lot of concern

I guess it is indeed concerning, but as I said before, no reason to extrapolate to different products. But better ask if not sure, no problem with that. Just add a source of information next time. Will make is much easier and faster to answer :)

Top Bottom