• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 80 33.9%

• Total voters

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If not already reported, E4x4 is available at Topping’s AliExpress Store: $259.
No Black Friday sale…
Interested in how it would measure driving 2 headphones at once (or handling all inputs active at the same time)

DLS79

Forum Donor
It will be interesting to see how much performance improves with a second generation devise, assuming one is produced.

Devfefe

just received mine i like it a lot ! would it be possible in a new firmware update to turn off the power LED ?

Bob101

What's been your experience with our customer service? In my mind it wouldn't be so different from SVS's you described.
I had a small problem with the UI of the E2x2. I sent an email to Topping and quickly got a very helpful reply. I have no complaints about Topping at all. Maybe I'm just lucky:)

Erosenbe

Topping line in allows a max of 23.9dBu at 6k ohm impedance. Nice! Latest Scarlett 2i2 is 22dbU at 60k ohm.

Erosenbe

Is the 6kΩ the balanced or unbalanced [single-ended] impedance? Either way, I don't think it would matter for most modern gear. Maybe with a 600Ω transformer output there would be a detectable difference between 6kΩ and 10kΩ...?

I only know the basics of analog but would the 60kΩ input impedance of Scarlett 2i2 possibly yield more thermal noise in the channel? Or does that not matter in audio band?

lkanies

Forum Donor
I just received my e2x2 and set it up. (I ordered it as soon as possible, but it got lost in shipping, and it took AliExpress almost two months to agree it was never going to show up. The replacement showed up this weekend.)

I'll be moving from a Motu M2.

For me, the killer feature of this device is not needing a separate headphone amp to drive my DCA Noire headphones. With the M2, I got a lot of distortion if I turned it up much. Not sure what "much" qualifies as, but for me, it meant I could not listen as loud as I often would. (I frequently turn my music up very loud when working, as it helps me concentrate sometimes. Weird, but true. Not punk-show-loud, but louder than anyone else in my house wants me to listen to speakers.)

The e2x2 will clip (rather than distort). But it does so at a level I am unlikely to ever hit. (Not "definitely won't hit". But unlikely.) I have not yet tried it with an external power supply, which I understand might help.

So, for me, it is a success.

I just wish I could get something like this with all rear-mounted jacks. My desk is a mess. :)

(If anyone's interested in buying a used M2, or a barely-used Topping A90 Discrete for a good price, please do let me know. I'd love not to have to deal with Craigslist.)

lkanies

Forum Donor
I'll be moving from a Motu M2.
Spoke too soon. I can't seem to get microphone monitoring working, at least not usably. I have to turn the mic level up to maximum (where it clearly kicks in a high gain mode at the very end of the volume knob) to hear myself on my headphones. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but if anyone has any pointers on what, I'd appreciate it.

This is on a Mac, so I don't have access to their software.

Also, compared to my M2, the knobs aren't quite as friendly. They're smooth, and a little hard to turn. The combination makes them, well, hard to turn. I like the extra friction, as fine control is easier. But it would be better if the knob were knurled in some way so I could get a grip on it. And boy is it dark. Having to use a flashlight to adjust it. :)

UwU

Will you take a look at the MKII range of Audients interfaces?

Bob101

Windows updated. Nothing else. E2x2 Software and interface stopped working. Tried a few things, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall software and driver.

lkanies

Forum Donor
Can you compare quality of MIC inputs ?
Not really. I am using the mics primarily for video calls (with a shure beta 87a and a røde shotgun mic), so it’s easy to hit my quality bar. The one thing that did stick out is it had trouble getting enough gain for my Shure mic. (I have since decided to keep the Motu and get a SMSL headphone amp.)

with my Motu, the gain for my Shure mic is about 75% and it‘s easy to get enough volume without too much ambient noise. With the Topping, I can choose between enough volume or low noise. I am sure that other mics work great, but the one I have was not a good fit.

The knobs are smooth and hard to turn, and the spaces between them are too small to fit my fingers. All those together were enough to convince me to sell it on to a friend. I’m bummed, because of all of the labels I had to add to my Motu and headphone amp to make them legible to my family. But the setup overall works better than I could get with the e2x2.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Not really. I am using the mics primarily for video calls (with a shure beta 87a and a røde shotgun mic), so it’s easy to hit my quality bar. The one thing that did stick out is it had trouble getting enough gain for my Shure mic. (I have since decided to keep the Motu and get a SMSL headphone amp.)

with my Motu, the gain for my Shure mic is about 75% and it‘s easy to get enough volume without too much ambient noise. With the Topping, I can choose between enough volume or low noise. I am sure that other mics work great, but the one I have was not a good fit.

The knobs are smooth and hard to turn, and the spaces between them are too small to fit my fingers. All those together were enough to convince me to sell it on to a friend. I’m bummed, because of all of the labels I had to add to my Motu and headphone amp to make them legible to my family. But the setup overall works better than I could get with the e2x2.

Imo for the use case you are describing, I'm not sure the 87a is a good choice. It's a supercardioid handheld, you either need to have the think like an inch form your mouth or crank the gain through the roof. The previous being the far preferred option.

Top Bottom