• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

Sokel

Master Contributor
I really don't get the comparison between RME and Topping here just because of the price.
Functionality-wise RME is a world away and a totally different device that targets an entirely different purpose where rock-solid performance,functionality and features are a given.
DX9 is what it is and nothing more,and probably no one would tell the difference in SQ from a 200$ by the same company.

Sonic-Wall

It‘s just a matter of priorities - number of features vs. the right features ;-)
BTW: in terms of performance (not features) the DX9 will easily outperform the RME at the analog and headphone outputs.
Just wait for Amir‘s review and then let‘s talk about facts and not assumptions!

shrimp_dude

The fact is that the price is too high for what you get vs the competition. You can get Topping products that are basically the same as this functionality and performance wise - right now, for a lower price.

This is on top of Topping's terrible quality control record and the lacking after sales support dealing with a company based in China.

It is obvious why anyone would balk at this offering.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I have a few topping products, none have broken yet. I did accidentally mess up the FW of my DX5, and I contacted their support about it. They wrote back with the correct FW file in a few hours. So, I guess as long as you don't need to physically exchange units, I can vouch for their support.

Tonton_ZEeD

The DX9 will outperform the RME device by pure amount of power. That's one of Topping's goal with this product, producing a lot of clean power.

Price wise, Topping and RME do not target the same market, RME are producing device for pro use and enthusiasts can enjoy those. RME's device are product during many years and are profitable during this long period.

Topping DX9 will exist maybe 2 years in their catalog. They have to have larger profit margin because they will produce less unit.

Sorry my english is very basic :)

I will pass on the DX9 but i'm curious about it. Let see what they can do, i'm waiting for Topping to play with DSP, A response to the Minidsp Flex. ;)

Last edited:

Sonic-Wall

Audibility is as important as measurements here.
No, after tons of measurement results there is usually one sentence on SQ. A little bit out of balance…
Conversely, the ESS hump is discussed in great detail, even there are more important things in terms of user experience.
Don‘t get me wrong, ASR is for measurements, for sound impressions I use different sources.

leftshoe

Mine arrived today! Bigger than it looks in the photos. Well built, heavy and professional looking. Interface is a big improvement over the older topping products. It sounds ... exactly as you might expect it to sound. Topping neutral. I honestly can't tell it apart from my other DACs.

I'm very happy with it. Loads of power, much nicer looking on my desk than separate DAC/Amp boxes. Volume control has a great feel to it. Does a great job filling the luxury-but-actually-good-also niche.

delta76

Major Contributor
Maybe, but in this forum only measurements matter not audibility, right?
no, people like SINAD but are aware of audibility. We applaud when we see a product with high SINAD but when it comes to buying recommendation, SINAD is not the most important factor - especially after the audibility threshold.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the RME has enougn "oomph" for at least 95 % of users.
Yes for most. But I can see how quiet tracks especially classical ones and with something like Expanse you would need gain.

Anyway you can buy just RME and if you find it not to be able to provide enough oomph you can add a70 pro later and be done like forever ;)

Tovarich007

I listen every kind of music but my priorities and tastes go to classical and jazz. The RME's headphone amp has quite enough power and gain for any music, including the most demanding. Idem for its quite competent line output. So, no need to complexify the system a super powerful (useless) external amp.

Tovarich007

The RME (and others) output level is powerful enough to drive any well designed headphone with ease, that's a fact, not an opinion or a matter of taste.
I consider the race to more and more powerful head amps as irrelevant, and it can be dangerous for hearing if people crank up the volume too high too long.

So, objectively, adding a Topping A70 or any other super powerful head amp from any brand to a RME (or comparable brand) is useless.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The RME (and others) output level is powerful enough to drive any well designed headphone with ease, that's a fact, not an opinion or a matter of taste.
I consider the race to more and more powerful head amps as irrelevant, and it can be dangerous for hearing if people crank up the volume too high too long.

So, objectively, adding a Topping A70 or any other super powerful head amp from any brand to a RME (or comparable brand) is useless.
You probably have to take a look at this thread:

And they're not the only ones,there are a lot of crazy stuff out there.
So,one designs for it's own needs every time.

Top Bottom