• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX9!

iconoclast

Got to be $800 to $1000 at which point you'd be wanting DSP built in, which isn't going to happen.

People will buy it but I'm not sure why.
Well, that's around what you have to pay to get a DAC + true balanced HP out combo or (matched) stack today, isn't it? Yeah, you can get a cheapo DAC feeding a good balanced HP amp like an L70 or something like that, but it will look kind of messy.

iconoclast

A shame the extra digital connections are ins and not outs. Missed opportunity to compete with RME here.

Orpheus

This is nice!

tdx9.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks awesome!

AB1903

Can we expect a black, silver and champagne (anniversary) version of this, based on the pics we've seen, or variants on a DX9 (black or silver) and a limited edition DX Pro in champagne (or gold, call it what you will). Could get confusing but the pics of the anniversary finish (?) look very nice. Who's got the inside track on this?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Hopefully we will know soon

shrimp_dude

Just wish they would change the typeface for the "DX9"... looks like an aliexpress special from 10 years ago. Why not just use the same typeface as their own logo?

cheapmessiah

They have a susvara there on the desk with it so maybe 4W@64ohm, and as much as I like how it looks i cant help but think that it will be close to 900€ since DX7+ is 650€ and thats too much money.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They have a susvara there on the desk with it so maybe 4W@64ohm, and as much as I like how it looks i cant help but think that it will be close to 900€ since DX7+ is 650€ and thats too much money.
Way way more. I just saw 1300 pounds

ocinn

$1650 USD, no EQ, no bass management/crossover, nothing. Oh, but it has an acrylic top and a fancy screen!

What a joke. I'll take a Minidsp SHD and a standalone headphone amp over this 10 days of the week. Topping has really lost their mind with the utterly useless TP "pro line" and the DX9.

cheapmessiah

Luxury items sell like crazy in China, and the more expensive the better, but, I dont see this unit being too popular in the west at that price, they are targeting the kind of demo thats buying for RME level of performance and its not really interested in saving some money, thats not their priority.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
$1650 USD, no EQ, no bass management/crossover, nothing. Oh, but it has an acrylic top and a fancy screen!

What a joke. I'll take a Minidsp SHD and a standalone headphone amp over this 10 days of the week. Topping has really lost their mind with the utterly useless TP "pro line" and the DX9.
Even at 900 USD this would have been overpriced

nonnyno

The price I saw in the photo on head-fi was approx £1250. Is that expensive? I would have thought it depends on how it compares perfomance wise against say an a90d/d90 combo or the d70pro/a70 pro combo. It has two screens and if you want an all in one and it performs comparably i think the price is fine. I like the looks other than I wish it had straight rather than a curved enclose on the edges. We'll have to see what the perfomance is like.

artburda

The price I saw in the photo on head-fi was approx £1250. Is that expensive? I would have thought it depends on how it compares perfomance wise against say an a90d/d90 combo or the d70pro/a70 pro combo. It has two screens and if you want an all in one and it performs comparably i think the price is fine. I like the looks other than I wish it had straight rather than a curved enclose on the edges. We'll have to see what the perfomance is like.
At this price range you are competing with the ADI-2 Pro/DAC from RME. Don't forget: RME has excellent support, you can get their products from local retailers and the ADI-2 devices have DSP and many more features. Why would anyone pay the same amount of money for a Topping product with maybe some dB better SINAD (which is totally irrelevant in real world use) but with worse support, feature set as well as (probably?) reliability and longevity?

cheapmessiah

D90 and D70pro are already ridiculous products, performance wise undistinguishable from a 140$ DAC, and those 140$ DACs have been for as long as the D90 on the market, so we cant even talk about trickle down tech. And while I admit that those expensive DACs do have some interesting and useful features, neither of those have 500-600€ in extra features, be it from cost or value to the customer.

I believe that all of us chi-fi buyers do so because we can have TOTL performance for a small fraction of what is available from a european/american manufacturer, and we have come to terms with the fact that chinese made and sold products have drawbacks that we accept because of the insanely attractive prices, but why would I pay eurpean/american made prices for a product that doesnt have the same warrantees as those made in western countries?

And also, this is a complete missead of the market by Topping, hobby products in the 1000 to 2000€ bracket are the trickiest to sell when they are competing aginst more expensive similar products unless they are the bargain of the century, most people willing to pay this much for an unnecessary luxury item dont mind expending more for the best of the best, they dont care about dimishing returns and have lots of disposable income.

Top Bottom