• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx3 pro+ vs FIIO K7 for Sennheiser HD 6xx.

Tajender

Looking for an AMP to power HD 6xx/HD650, what's a better option between Topping dx3 pro+ vs FIIO K7.
Other suggestions also welcome.

cestmoi

Fiio K7 if you don't need a remote.

Boltman92124

I went with the DX3Pro+ just today vs the K7. LDAC 24/96 bluetooth and remote were the kickers for me. 5 dig inputs vs 3 on the FiiO as well. The K7 does have an analog line input which is it's primary advantage(Turntable for instance). I sold my Topping L50 amp. Got tired of walking over to it for volume adjustments. Both units can be run as DACs with fixed line out.

I went with the DX3Pro+ just today vs the K7. LDAC 24/96 bluetooth and remote were the kickers for me. 5 dig inputs vs 3 on the FiiO as well. The K7 does have an analog line input which is it's primary advantage(Turntable for instance). I sold my Topping L50 amp. Got tired of walking over to it for volume adjustments. Both units can be run as DACs with fixed line out.
Now there is an LDAC bluetooth version of the Fiio K7. The Fiio K7 BT:

Boltman92124

Yeah they are $199 US normally. Tried the digital filters? Any preference?
Here the normal price is 199€. I had a special price at 169€.
I have set filter to n4. That is, slow rolloff and minimum. I am not sure if it is better than n3. I have not made any serious comparison yet.

My previous setup was a Hiby FC4+Douk U3. My headphones are Hifiman he400se and Fidelio x2hr.
I expected a big improvement when jumping to the DX3PRO+, but I was somehow disappointed. Power output is much higher, with no distortion, but sound quality (at low volume) is not much different. I expected a "fresher sound", or more "vibrant sound".
That is why I changed the filter from n3 to n4, trying to get more freshness, more air. It is too soon to draw conclusions. I have read that the differences between filters are very small and almost impossible to detect. I don't know...

The Fiio K7 has no filters to choose from?

Last edited:

Boltman92124

Here the normal price is 199€. I had a special price at 169€.
I have set filter to n4. That is, slow rolloff and minimum. I am not sure if it is better than n3. I have not made any serious comparison yet.

My previous setup was a Hiby FC4+Douk U3. My headphones are Hifiman he400se and Fidelio x2hr.
I expected a big improvement when jumping to the DX3PRO+, but I was somehow disappointed. Power output is much higher, with no distortion, but sound quality (at low volume) is not much different. I expected a "fresher sound", or more "vibrant sound".
That is why I changed the filter from n3 to n4, trying to get more freshness, more air. It is too soon to draw conclusions. I have read that the differences between filters are very small and almost impossible to detect. I don't know...

The Fiio K7 has no filters to choose from?
These devices should be neutral and powerful enough for your headphones. They won't sound substantially different. Even DACs will be essentially neutral. The filters on the Topping may impart very subtle changes in sound. I've used the DX3 as a DAC in my main system (speakers) and it sounds excellent. I also cranked up my Emotiva GR1 headphones and it's the best I've ever heard them. They're easy to drive 32ohm.

These devices should be neutral and powerful enough for your headphones. They won't sound substantially different. Even DACs will be essentially neutral. The filters on the Topping may impart very subtle changes in sound. I've used the DX3 as a DAC in my main system (speakers) and it sounds excellent. I also cranked up my Emotiva GR1 headphones and it's the best I've ever heard them. They're easy to drive 32ohm.
I have just looked up the specs of your Gr1 headphones. With 106dB/mW and 32ohms they are very easy to drive.
My Hifiman's, on the other side, with just 91dB/mW are very difficult to drive. Sometimes even the DX3PRO+ is not powerful enough. For example, with Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I am listening it on Amazon Music. Quality is good but the recording's sound level is relatively low and even at maximum volume on the DX3 (max gain activated), it sounds low.
The Fiio K7 has a bit more power than the DX3, and it has balanced output. It would be interesting to try it with my Hifimans.

Boltman92124

I have just looked up the specs of your Gr1 headphones. With 106dB/mW and 32ohms they are very easy to drive.
My Hifiman's, on the other side, with just 91dB/mW are very difficult to drive. Sometimes even the DX3PRO+ is not powerful enough. For example, with Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I am listening it on Amazon Music. Quality is good but the recording's sound level is relatively low and even at maximum volume on the DX3 (max gain activated), it sounds low.
The Fiio K7 has a bit more power than the DX3, and it has balanced output. It would be interesting to try it with my Hifimans.
Right. If it's a true balanced amp, it should play 6db louder than single ended. For higher impedance cans, these amps still usually provide 150-500mw of power into 300 ohms (which is still a lot). I guess headphone sensitivity plays a part too. Funny though, I have Senn Momentum cans that are only rated at 19ohms and they need more juice than the 32 ohm Emotiva's.

Boltman92124

Btw there are amps that offer balanced inputs/outputs but are not truly balanced and don't provide any increased output. The Topping L50 is an example. It does have XLR on the front and balanced on the back though. It's a powerful amp. I sold mine recently.

Right. If it's a true balanced amp, it should play 6db louder than single ended. For higher impedance cans, these amps still usually provide 150-500mw of power into 300 ohms (which is still a lot). I guess headphone sensitivity plays a part too. Funny though, I have Senn Momentum cans that are only rated at 19ohms and they need more juice than the 32 ohm Emotiva's.
I think the Fiio K7 has a true balanced output. Using the balanced output it gives you ~30% more power than the DX3PRO. But 30% more power is still not much. You won't perceive much more volume in your brain.
Yes, sensitivity (dB/mW) is a fundamental piece of data. For each 3dB of sensitivity decrease, you will need double power to drive the headphones.

Btw there are amps that offer balanced inputs/outputs but are not truly balanced and don't provide any increased output. The Topping L50 is an example. It does have XLR on the front and balanced on the back though. It's a powerful amp. I sold mine recently.
Yes, the L50 has a fake balanced output. But in spite of that, it gives you more power than the Fiio K7 and the DX3PRO+.
It was in my wish lust but I finally bought the DX3PRO+.

I decided pretty quickly I wanted a DAC/Amp combo instead of the L50. And a remote.
The L50 is great if you have demanding headphones. For example, I think the DX3PRO + is not enough for the Sennheiser HD600 (300ohms). The L50 would be much better.
In the future I may buy the HD600 (or HD650). I am not satisfied with my Fidelio X2hr nor with my Hifiman he400se.

Boltman92124

The L50 is great if you have demanding headphones. For example, I think the DX3PRO + is not enough for the Sennheiser HD600 (300ohms). The L50 would be much better.
In the future I may buy the HD600 (or HD650). I am not satisfied with my Fidelio X2hr nor with my Hifiman he400se.
Our host here at ASR might feel otherwise in terms of the DX3Pro+ powering 300 ohm cans like the 600's! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/
257mw of power into 300 ohm load. That's plenty to play nice and loud with 97db sensitivity like the HD600.

"I performed all of my testing in high gain and there, the DX3 Pro+ had no trouble bringing out the best fidelity in both Sennheiser HD650 and Drop Ether CX." 650's are also 300 ohm. The Drop 6xx is 300 ohm as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom