• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx3 pro+ vs FIIO K7 for Sennheiser HD 6xx.

Our host here at ASR might feel otherwise in terms of the DX3Pro+ powering 300 ohm cans like the 600's! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/
257mw of power into 300 ohm load. That's plenty to play nice and loud with 97db sensitivity like the HD600.

"I performed all of my testing in high gain and there, the DX3 Pro+ had no trouble bringing out the best fidelity in both Sennheiser HD650 and Drop Ether CX." 650's are also 300 ohm. The Drop 6xx is 300 ohm as well.
I think 257mW for the HD600 is not much. It is just okay. I think it won't hurt. And if you play old music or classical music, with a low recording level, it could sound very low, and you could wish for more power.
With some music, I can play my Hifimans at 2Watts, and they don't hurt. And they have 91dB sensitivity. This equals to 500mW for the HD600.

Edit: The Topping L50 can output 636mW at 300 ohms. I wonder if this is only when you use the balanced inputs?? What would be with the SE inputs?

Last edited:

Boltman92124

I think 257mW for the HD600 is not much. It is just okay. I think it won't hurt. And if you play old music or classical music, with a low recording level, it could sound very low, and you could wish for more power.
With some music, I can play my Hifimans at 2Watts, and they don't hurt. And they have 91dB sensitivity. This equals to 500mW for the HD600.
Yeah 91db is pretty darn low for headphones. 600's are listed at 97db. At any rate, the L50 does have a lot of power but not as much as the Schiit Asgard3 (which has twice the power of the L50!). I liked the L50 but didn't meet my needs. I think the new L30II has the same power as the L50 but without balanced.

What's funny is, I bought a cheap little Chinese DAC/dongle for my Android phone. It's 35mw! It actually plays plenty loud on the Emotivas! Clean too! The Emotiva's are obviously easy to drive. I like them a lot!

Last edited:
Yeah 91db is pretty darn low for headphones. 600's are listed at 97db. At any rate, the L50 does have a lot of power but not as much as the Schiit Asgard3 (which has twice the power of the L50!). I liked the L50 but didn't meet my needs. I think the new L30II has the same power as the L50 but without balanced.

What's funny is, I bought a cheap little Chinese DAC/dongle for my Android phone. It's 35mw! It actually plays plenty loud on the Emotivas! Clean too! The Emotiva's are obviously easy to drive. I like them a lot!
Oh, yes, the L30II, you are right. Same power as the L50 but it only has SE inputs. Probably the L50 will achieve the same power on the SE inputs?

Yes, those dongles are quite good for low power headphones. My little Hiby FC04 dongle can drive my Fidelio X2hr quite well on the SE output (spec is 110mW). And can drive the Hifimans on the bal output (spec 340mW), but doesn't give much volume.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

Oh, yes, the L30II, you are right. Same power as the L50 but it only has SE inputs. Probably the L50 will achieve the same power on the SE inputs?

Yes, those dongles are quite good for low power headphones. My little Hiby FC04 dongle can drive my Fidelio X2hr quite well on the SE output (spec is 110mW). And can drive the Hifimans on the bal output (spec 340mW), but doesn't give much volume.
You want new headphones too right? Or just amp? Sorry, forgot. Too many forums lol.

I have just measured... my Hiby FC04, on balanced output to my Hifiman HE400SE, (30 OHM), gives only 250mW. Above that, it will distort. Spec is 340mW.

edit: but with good recordings, 250mW can be enough.

Last edited:
You want new headphones too right? Or just amp? Sorry, forgot. Too many forums lol.
I don't know. I am a newbie and I am very confused.
I have bought most of my equipment in the last month. I think I will need some time to draw conclusions on this equipment.
But...still... I would like to buy the K7 and the HD600. :)

Boltman92124

I don't know. I am a newbie and I am very confused.
I have bought most of my equipment in the last month. I think I will need some time to draw conclusions on this equipment.
But...still... I would like to buy the K7 and the HD600. :)
I'm sure those two will work great! Headphones and amp took me a long time to decide too. So much stuff out there. Plus I still listen to speakers most of the time anyway.

I'm sure those two will work great! Headphones and amp took me a long time to decide too. So much stuff out there. Plus I still listen to speakers most of the time anyway.
I don't have good speakers. Maybe I should invest in speakers now, instead of headphones. But I have done so much research in headphones that I want to finish the job.

Boltman92124

I don't have good speakers. Maybe I should invest in speakers now, instead of headphones. But I have done so much research in headphones that I want to finish the job.
Seems like it makes a lot of sense to go for the Massdrop HD6xx for $100 less right? Those are the HD650's. I'm tempted even though I bought the Emotivas already. Start up a little headphone collection. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennh...eGAi4oSlrNt6chqkU9xoCvNkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seems like it makes a lot of sense to go for the Massdrop HD6xx for $100 less right? Those are the HD650's. I'm tempted even though I bought the Emotivas already. Start up a little headphone collection. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennh...eGAi4oSlrNt6chqkU9xoCvNkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
199$ is so cheap!!
I am in Europe. Those are not available here.
The HD650 cost more than 350€ here!!

Also, I have read a document posted by Solderdude, and he says that Sennheiser fequently changes the manufacturing of the HD650; for example, the internal foams. And the sound is affected.
In the frequency response graphs, the HD650 should have a little more treble than the HD600. But HD650 users say that HD650 is "darker". How is that possible?
Could I end up spending 350+€, and getting a headphones with dull treble, and having to EQ them??
My Fidelios without EQ are horrible!! Bombastic bass, and very dull trebble. I bought them on Amazon for around 130€. I almost return them, but then I found that with EQ, they sound quite well. So I kept them. This lack of trebble was a complete surprise because no reviewer was complaining about it.
I did read that Phillips outsourced the manufacturing of the Fidelios, and even changed the manufacturer several times. This is a joke. No wonder that the sound will be different depending on what company was the manufacturer of your particular unit.

If I buy the Sennheisers, I want to use them with no EQ whatsoever.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

199$ is so cheap!!

Also, I have read a document posted by Solderdude, and he says that Sennheiser fequently changes the manufacturing of the HD650; for example, the internal foams. And the sound is affected.
In the frequency response graphs, the HD650 should have a little more treble than the HD600. But HD650 users say that HD650 is "darker". How is that possible?
Could I end up spending 350+€, and getting a headphones with dull treble, and having to EQ them??
My Fidelios without EQ are horrible!! Bombastic bass, and very dull trebble. I bought them on Amazon for around 130€. I almost return them, but then I found that with EQ, they sound quite well. So I kept them. This lack of trebble was a complete surprise because no reviewer was complaining about it.
I did read that Phillips outsourced the manufacturing of the Fidelios, and even changed the manufacturer several times. This is a joke. No wonder that the sound will be different depending on what company was the manufacturer of your particular unit.

I think a lot of headphones have the V shaped sound. Too much bass! The 600's aren't like that most folks say. Supposed to be neutral cans. Maybe a little boring to those who want that V sound. Didn't see you're in Europe. Can't order from Drop?

I think a lot of headphones have the V shaped sound. Too much bass! The 600's aren't like that most folks say. Supposed to be neutral cans. Maybe a little boring to those who want that V sound. Didn't see you're in Europe. Can't order from Drop?
My Fidelios don't have the V shape because they don't have treble. My Hifimans have more treble, but they still lack a bit. And my Hifimans have softer bass than the Fidelios. So my Hifimans need less EQ than my Fidelios.

If Drop ships from the US, I will be hit hard by EU customs. VAT plus import duties.
I have no problems buying from China. I bought my Hifimans from Aliexpress. They charged me only VAT, and there were no problems with customs. Well, if your order from Aliexpress is higher than 150€, you will have to pay import duties too. But in general, buying from China is way easier than buying from the US.

butch111

199$ is so cheap!!

Here in Europe you can get the HD660S for 199€ ! Got one yesterday. (199 € refurbished - but mine was definately new - and 299 new one) Direct from Sennheiser, Amazon-shop or Ebay-Shop

Here in Europe you can get the HD660S for 199€ ! Got one yesterday. (199 € refurbished - but mine was definately new - and 299 new one) Direct from Sennheiser, Amazon-shop or Ebay-Shop
The HD660S are cheaper but the ones everybody recommend are the HD600 and HD650.

DX3Pro+ is a great product. So versatile. Great sound. Bargain for what it does. Love it!

PS- Emotiva GR1's are worth checking out too in this price range. Nice alternative to Senn 600, Meze 99 etc. Thumbs up from me.
Do you have the frequency response chart of the GR1 vs the HD600? I can't find in in Google.

Boltman92124

The HD660S are cheaper but the ones everybody recommend are the HD600 and HD650.
You guys in Europe seem the opposite on these Senns. US prices I see-
HD6xx (HD650)- $199 Massdrop
HD600- $299
HD650- $349
HD660s2- $499 ($350 S1?)

BTW, the 660's are only 150 ohms, which may be an advantage for some.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

Do you have the frequency response chart of the GR1 vs the HD600? I can't find in in Google.
Oh geez, no I don't have those. They're kind of different animals. Emotiva 32 ohms, 600's 300 ohms. Emotiva basically closed back (sort of hybrid design), 600's open back. The Emotivas were $299 for a few years but are $199 now. Good value there. I thought the Drop 6xx was a no brainer but decided to go the road less travelled on Emotiva. I think the Senn's wouldn't have been as good for portable either, which I wanted.

At any rate, the GR1's are beautiful cans for the price. No plastic parts I can seen. Real wood earcup surrounds. They are a little mid bass heavy but not like the Meze 99's. Very nice extended treble. They just sound good. Comfortable.
medium

Oh geez, no I don't have those. They're kind of different animals. Emotiva 32 ohms, 600's 300 ohms. Emotiva basically closed back (sort of hybrid design), 600's open back. The Emotivas were $299 for a few years but are $199 now. Good value there. I thought the Drop 6xx was a no brainer but decided to go the road less travelled on Emotiva. I think the Senn's wouldn't have been as good for portable either, which I wanted.

At any rate, the GR1's are beautiful cans for the price. No plastic parts I can seen. Real wood earcup surrounds. They are a little mid bass heavy but not like the Meze 99's. Very nice extended treble. They just sound good. Comfortable.
medium
But in their frequency response there is a big dip at 4.5khz.
P.d. sorry, I think I got the wrong chart...

Top Bottom