• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

MWC

This is good info., & could be a solution enabling me to buy a DM7 as I need a Mch DAC simply for Mch music (DSD), but my old Denon receiver, has only RCA analogue inputs and no HDMI nor XLR. But I'd need a minimum of 10 boards for 5ch, not sure if I need 2 more for LFE as I don't use a Sub Woofer. Not sure about it . How do I tidily house a dozen boards in the snake pit behind my media cabinet?....... tending to wait for a Mch DSD DAC with unbalanced outs.

MemeScreen

It's been a little over a year since the DM7 came out. Seems that most people who purchased it are happy with it overall, but I wonder if it actually has been selling good enough for Topping to make a future successor or DM9 alternative?

You think it could happen? If so when? Is there anything you would want from a followup? Anyone from Topping is more than welcome to comment themselves. :)

It honestly has most of what I'm looking for except for an i2s or IIS input, and maybe an option to use DSD256 or better in stereo. That is is already a feature of the current DAC chip, the ES9038PRO that can go up to DSD1024.

dartinbout

Count me as an extremely happy user. Despite having 3 other DAC's, this gets the most use. Seamlessly, going from 2, 2.1, 4, 5.1, 6 all the way to 7.1 channels for music and video is the "sine qua non" for my usage . I've incorporated it into the A90D and it's EXT unit. It allows me to change focus between emphasizing between 2 channels and the other 5.1 for whatever I'm doing.

If I were to have any wish towards improvement, I would love a network interface for adjustments, FR, balance, etc. Of course, I would love such a feature for all of my Topping(s).

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've had my DM7 sitting in its box for the last couple of months... waiting to be deployed in a stereo fully active 4-way system, with Wharfedale Lintons and a pair of subs. (Still waiting for the Lintons to be converted - intend to make a video of the whole process in case anyone wants to follow suit.)

The only feature I'd like on any new multi-channel DAC going forward would be a network input so that it works as a Roon ready streamer out of the box. But quite frankly, the DM7 is ridiculously good value-for-money as it is.

Mani.

MCH

Major Contributor
It's been a little over a year since the DM7 came out. Seems that most people who purchased it are happy with it overall, but I wonder if it actually has been selling good enough for Topping to make a future successor or DM9 alternative?

You think it could happen? If so when? Is there anything you would want from a followup? Anyone from Topping is more than welcome to comment themselves. :)

It honestly has most of what I'm looking for except for an i2s or IIS input, and maybe an option to use DSD256 or better in stereo. That is is already a feature of the current DAC chip, the ES9038PRO that can go up to DSD1024.
Post in thread 'Ask me questions.' https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ask-me-questions.46113/post-1644004

mgbpuff

Hi guys,

I just got my DM7 in the mail.
I'm downgrading from a Lynx Hilo.

Now whenever I power on my amplifier (Rotel Rmb-1095)
There is a loud humming/buzz coming from my speakers.
Mind you, there are not any signal cables connecting these 2.

Just having them both plugged into the same outlet on the wall using an extension cord.
The noise from the amplifier goes away as soon as I turn the DM7 off.

I've tried both of them grounded, either un-grounded or both un-grounded.
Still a lot of noise.
It only goes away when the DM7 is off.

Simply moving the dm'7 to a different circuit is not an option.

The only thing that works to reduce this noise (quite significantly) is an "iFI Audio AC iPurifier"

Is it possible that my DM7 is somehow faulty?
It should not be making the electrical grid more noisy right?

I've never experienced this before.

Thank you in advance.
I noticed that you have not received any help on this issue. Searching the internet for the Rotel unit, I found this "
WEAKNESS:
balanced, but not truly balanced.
I have run the balanced mode and found the sound less palpable than running single ended. The open sound I expected was not as well done as in single ended...unbalanced. The 1095 like all Rotel amps offering "balanced" operation is not truly balanced at all. In fact it is "pseudo-balanced." Using an op-amp for the inverted leg, this saves costs in circuit design, but in my opinion negates the benefit of running balanced in the first place. Not recommended to run balanced out from a pre-amp though. Run only single-ended, unbalanced only to get the most out of the 1095, and save the extra green for some better cables. I used the Monster Balanced XLR 20' from my Mackie 1604-vlz with reasonably good results, but my Sony pre running single ended was the only logical choice to getting the most out of the 1095. Nice in a pinch to have this option, but not a strong reason to buy the 1095 for its' balanced operation. Stay single-ended and be happy, that is where the 1095 shines the most. Still gets the max as long as the single-ended is used, 4 stars for the balanced operation. V.C."

So perhaps you will have better luck using the unbalanced input of the Rotel with a proper converter, preferably a transformer type with AES balanced input and RCA unbalanced output.

danstahl

I skimmed through most of this thread but didn't see this topic brought up...in the user manual it says "volume is fixed at 0db in DAC mode". Would volume then be driven by the computer itself? Would this be as high fidelity? For decades I've been under the assumption that for top performance I should have my PC set at 100% volume.

GNK

I like the performance of DM7 but its price is way over my budget.
There was a cheaper option from Minidsp, U-DAC8, but it is discontinued.

Is there any alternative option that's more cost effective than DM7? I only want USB to 8Ch analog DAC.
I know their newer audio interfaces are on the way but I don't think e8x8 could be any cheaper than DM7.

GNK

ESI Gigaport eX

Thanks for sharing!
I've never heard of ESI before so I wanted to see measurements, and found a website below.

I'm worried that he emphasized "the extreme noise always present on the analog outputs is totally unacceptable."
If you have any personal experience with this device, it would be really helpful if you could share some.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for sharing!
I've never heard of ESI before so I wanted to see measurements, and found a website below.

I'm worried that he emphasized "the extreme noise always present on the analog outputs is totally unacceptable."
If you have any personal experience with this device, it would be really helpful if you could share some.
I do not have any personal experience with the Gigaport.

The reviews on Thomann though are very positive, some mentioning the complete lack of noise on the outputs.

There is one review that mentions how the Gigaport had varying amount of noise depending on the USB host device and how he managed to remove the noise entirely using a USB Isolator.

Luckily, those have come down in price drastically over the years with the release of a new USB Isolator chip made by TI. Some examples:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001927948863.html
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Isolator-Compatible-PCM32bit-withstands
https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-high-speed-usb-isolator-v2/

So even with an additional Isolator you'd be well below half of the cost of a DM7.

Edit: that being said, while the Gigaport is USB 2.0 compatible, it is a native USB 3.1 device.
I do not know if and how the functionality would be affected when run at 2.0 speeds via one of these isolators.
In theory, eight uncompressed 24/192 streams are still less than 10% of the bandwidth of USB 2.0

Last edited:

GNK

I do not have any personal experience with the Gigaport.

The reviews on Thomann though are very positive, some mentioning the complete lack of noise on the outputs.

There is one review that mentions how the Gigaport had varying amount of noise depending on the USB host device and how he managed to remove the noise entirely using a USB Isolator.

Luckily, those have come down in price drastically over the years with the release of a new USB Isolator chip made by TI. Some examples:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001927948863.html
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Isolator-Compatible-PCM32bit-withstands
https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-high-speed-usb-isolator-v2/

So even with an additional Isolator you'd be well below half of the cost of a DM7.

Edit: that being said, while the Gigaport is USB 2.0 compatible, it is a native USB 3.1 device.
I do not know if and how the functionality would be affected when run at 2.0 speeds via one of these isolators.
In theory, eight uncompressed 24/192 streams are still less than 10% of the bandwidth of USB 2.0

In that case maybe I can give it a shot right away.
Thank you for your help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
In that case maybe I can give it a shot right away.
Thank you for your help.
According the the product page, the Gigaport can only output -10dBV or ~0.3Vrms via its RCA Line outputs, which is quite low (16dB below the usual 2.0V).

Make sure that whatever Amp you're plugging into it has enough gain.

I'll stop here though as we've gone quite off-topic.
Please make a new thread if you want to continue :)

Reactions: GNK

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
But, surely, it can be found on the used market. ;)

Performance is not particularly great: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inidsp-u-dac8-8-channel-usb-dac-review.10123/

Better would be a Xonar U7 mkii if one can find it for ~$100 with free local shipping. I'm still using mine with a Topping HS01 to minimize noise...

The accompanying software itself is not useful, but it works with my Linux setups and also with ASIO and WASAPI in Windows -- say, together with other software that can handle DSP like JRiver.

Tafelberg

Forum Donor
How do you connect the Topping DM7 to a subwoofer that has only RCA, and spring clip speaker wire connectors? (please see attached image) Ty!

Attachments

• Screenshot (164).png
    Screenshot (164).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

staticV3

Master Contributor
How do you connect the Topping DM7 to a subwoofer that has only RCA, and spring clip speaker wire connectors? (please see attached image) Ty!
1/4" Tip -> RCA Signal
1/4" Ring -> not connected (floating)
1/4" Sleeve -> RCA GND

Tafelberg

Forum Donor
Thanks StaticV3!
How would you do that? Should I get a male TRS to female XLR cable, and somehow connect a RCA cable to the XLR pins? Could you please elaborate how to make this work?
Do you know of a pre-made cable that I can buy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom