• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

charlielaub

I think you would agree that converting between AES / TOSLINK / SPDIF is rather trivial with inexpensive off the shelf devices? Which pro audio interface are you using that has a word clock input but cannot be clocked by AES or SPDIF input? And again, if your ADC has a digital output you can feed that in to the AES input of the Okto and Okto will be slaved to the ADC.

I just can't think of case where you need a word clock input where AES / SPDIF won't do.

Michael
I thought about this overnight. Assuming (making a leap here) that the interface with ADC has an AES-EBU input you are 100% correct. It is something I never really considered and an interesting way to slave two interfaces.

The AES-EBU and SP/DIF audio format is identical but AES-EBU is much less common than SP/DIF. These formats are not identical nor directly interchangeable, with different signal levels and different termination impedances. Do you know of a reliable low-cost converter from AES-EBU to SP/DIF?

Hertel

Thank you very much

I knew it's just a DAC, not having DSP filtering features like the MiniDsp Flex. Precisely for this reason My question was whether the DM7 associated with a PC and a software like Equalizer APO could produce a stereo sound with two subwoofers. In this case, two channels for subwoofer with low pass filter and two channels (left and right) with high pass filters.

From what I understood from your answer, this is possible as long as the DM7 is in conjunction with a PC, right?

charlielaub

Thank you very much

I knew it's just a DAC, not having DSP filtering features like the MiniDsp Flex. Precisely for this reason My question was whether the DM7 associated with a PC and a software like Equalizer APO could produce a stereo sound with two subwoofers. In this case, two channels for subwoofer with low pass filter and two channels (left and right) with high pass filters.

From what I understood from your answer, this is possible as long as the DM7 is in conjunction with a PC, right?
Yes, but the question really has nothing to do with the DM7. The DM7 is just converting the digital audio that the computer gives it to an analog signal. So yes, given the right software and computer configuration you can do it, but your focus should really be on how to do that on the computer and not on aspects of the DAC itself. Also keep in mind that this is a balanced DAC and you should not use it to drive unbalanced amplifiers (e.g. with RCA inputs). If you have only RCA connections, use a different DAC.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about this overnight. Assuming (making a leap here) that the interface with ADC has an AES-EBU input you are 100% correct. It is something I never really considered and an interesting way to slave two interfaces.

The AES-EBU and SP/DIF audio format is identical but AES-EBU is much less common than SP/DIF. These formats are not identical nor directly interchangeable, with different signal levels and different termination impedances. Do you know of a reliable low-cost converter from AES-EBU to SP/DIF?

In practice they are very interchangeable. Most devices work fine with a simple RCA to XLR cable but a few need transformers.

For the Okto specifically I've used the AES output in to a Neutrik NADITBNC-FX transformer in to variety of SPDIF input devices ranging from audio interfaces (MOTU Ultralite Mk5, RME Fireface 800, MOTU Traveler Mk1) to cheap consumer TOSLINK to USB cards like the hifimediy offerings (through a coaxial to TOSLINK converter).

I've also used Neutrik NADITBNC-M and Canare BCJ-XP-TRB transformers on SPDIF output devices for use with the Okto AES inputs as well.

Michael

Hertel

Sim, mas a questão realmente não tem nada a ver com o DM7. O DM7 está apenas convertendo o áudio digital que o computador lhe dá para um sinal analógico. Então, sim, com o software correto e a configuração do computador, você pode fazer isso, mas seu foco deve estar em como fazer isso no computador e não em aspectos do próprio DAC. Lembre-se também de que este é um DAC balanceado e você não deve usá-lo para alimentar amplificadores não balanceados (por exemplo, com entradas RCA). Se você tiver apenas conexões RCA, use um DAC diferente.
Thanks again for the reply

My amplifier (SMSL AO200) has both balanced and unbalanced inputs. However, my subwoofer pair (Kef Kube12) only has an unbalanced input. I think in this case it would be a problem

Does the MiniDps Flex in its balanced version have the same problem as the DM7? If so, my last option would be the unbalanced MiniDsp Flex

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I cannot say for sure but I believe that the digital input is only used for a clock source when it is the selected input
Sure but what digital input are you talking about?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For the Okto specifically I've used the AES output in to a Neutrik NADITBNC-FX transformer in to variety of SPDIF input devices ranging from audio interfaces (MOTU Ultralite Mk5, RME Fireface 800, MOTU Traveler Mk1) to cheap consumer TOSLINK to USB cards like the hifimediy offerings (through a coaxial to TOSLINK converter).
Did this support 24/192?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My question was whether the DM7 associated with a PC and a software like Equalizer APO could produce a stereo sound with two subwoofers.

In theory, yes.

In practice, the channel mapping will be a bit of hack because you'll have to lie to Windows and tell it you have a 5.1 device, otherwise you won't be able to output 4 channels from an APO. This means applications will believe you have a 5.1 output, and might try to output 5.1 audio, even though you only have stereo. This might lead to sub-optimal results and force you to downmix in Equalizer APO first.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I’ve only done it at 48 and 96 kHz as a lot of interfaces don’t support 192 kHz. I’ll test 192 kHz and let you know how it goes.

Michael
I am planning to take the AES/EBU output from my Merging Hapi II to feed a KEF LS60 which accepts S/PDIF or TOSLink. This might help. I am also considering the Hosa ODL-312 or ODL-313 but these are specified only up to 24/96.

nagster

I couldn't find Neutrik, but I found CANARE BCJ-XJ-TRB, so I tried 24/192.
Although it was a simple verification, there was no strange behavior.

AP =>conversion transformer =>AP

Attachments

• 01_canare_01.jpg
    01_canare_01.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 12_canare_bcjxjtrb_loop.png
    12_canare_bcjxjtrb_loop.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 11_ap_aes_loopback.png
    11_ap_aes_loopback.png
    123 KB · Views: 98
  • 04_canare_04.jpg
    04_canare_04.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 03_canare_03.jpg
    03_canare_03.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 02_canare_02.jpg
    02_canare_02.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 101

nagster

AP =>conversion transformer =>DAC =>AP

Attachments

• 21_adi2dac_01.jpg
    21_adi2dac_01.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 91
  • 22_canare_rme_adi2dac.png
    22_canare_rme_adi2dac.png
    165 KB · Views: 92
  • 31_d90se_01.jpg
    31_d90se_01.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 32_canare_tp_d90se.png
    32_canare_tp_d90se.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 91

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, my subwoofer pair (Kef Kube12) only has an unbalanced input.
EDIT: Since content of this post is not related to Topping DM7, I hided it under Spoiler cover. I thank @dartinbout for kind chiming and reminder.
If the delay and sound quality (as well as gain) would be acceptable/adjustable, then the "headphone analog RCA out" of a multichannel DAC (like OKTO DAC8PRO) can be used feeding "unbalanced input only" subwoofers. I actually use this path for my L&R subwoofers (large and heavy Yamaha YST-SW1000, L & R) in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-Driver (actually 5-way 10-Ch) multi-amplifier fully active audio setup; you can find the latest my system setup here.

Last edited:

dartinbout

Just out of wild curiosity, why is all of this Okto discussion not in the various Okto threads? I had the Dac8 Pro, sold it and bought the DM7. For my needs and wallet, it fit my love of surround and HT better.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And again, if your ADC has a digital output you can feed that in to the AES input of the Okto and Okto will be slaved to the ADC.

EDIT: Since contents of this post are not related to Topping DM7, I hided them under Spoiler cover. I thank @dartinbout for kind chiming and reminder.
Yes! AES/EBU digital output always contains sync clock signal for the slave gears.

And, in other way, if AES/EBU digital out of OKTO DAC8PRO is fed into AES/EBU input capable device (like AES/EBU input DAC unit) the device is automatically will be slave (synced) with DAC8PRO.

I fully confirmed this path using ONKYO DAC-1000 which has AES/EBU digital input; please refer to my post here and here.

Furthermore, in his post here, Pavel of OKTO RESEARCH kindly confirmed the AES/EBU digital sync connection from DAC8(PRO) to another DAC (capable of AES/EBU digital input) as well as to any other gears having AES/EBU digital-in.

Last edited:

dartinbout

Yes! AES/EBU digital output always contains sync clock signal for the slave gears.

And, in other way, if AES/EBU digital out of OKTO DAC8PRO is fed into AES/EBU input capable device (like AES/EBU input DAC unit) the device is automatically will be slave (synced) with DAC8PRO.

I fully confirmed this path using ONKYO DAC-1000 which has AES/EBU digital input; please refer to my post here and here.

Furthermore, in his post here, Pavel of OKTO RESEARCH kindly confirmed the AES/EBU digital sync connection from DAC8(PRO) to another DAC (capable of AES/EBU digital input) as well as to any other gears having AES/EBU digital-in.
Please help me oh wizened ones, where exactly to I plug my AES\EBU into my DM7? Is there a special cable I need? Is it perhaps on it's derriere? Do I need to dissemble it and break out my soldering iron? How about vacuum tubes? Is there a phone stage? Is there some special button push to make it play "God save the Queen" on continuous loop? Please keep this thread on topic please as I don't need anymore notifications not germane to the DM7.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please keep this thread on topic please as I don't need anymore notifications not germane to the DM7.

Fully understood, and I am sorry for my above two posts not related to DM7; I hided the contents under Spoiler cover.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Multichannel ASIO Renderer 3.8 Trial / 2.0 Free

First of all, you can always switch cables until your channels match your speaker locations.

But you can also use MPC-HC or ffdshow, and do pretty much what you want with audio:

View attachment 263630 View attachment 263631

ffdshow in particular would allow you to quantize values (e.g. 50% of Center to the Front Left and 50% of Center to the Front Right).

Maybe there are other solutions, I don't know.

Multichannel ASIO Renderer?​

Top Bottom