• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Dave Bullet

Word of warning. If using the DM7 to a single ended (unbalanced) amplifier, you'll get a nasty "thump" if you power off the DAC first (i know convention is amps are last on, and first off). I don't use the 12v trigger system so whether there is delay factored there or not, I don't know.

The thump may be due to using DM7 single ended, or may be apparent balanced too (I've not yet tried it on my balanced input amp).

TheLastGerman

My DM7 just arrived and a question arises. In the volume settings dialogue of the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel I get this:
dm7vol.jpg

I can't set the channels volumes independently. Is this normal?

TheLastGerman

Thank you. I was just wondering if this was a driver malfunction. I have already found the setting via remote control. With my other multichannel USB DACs, the volume can be adjusted via the driver and on the device or via remote control.

Dave Bullet

Thank you. I was just wondering if this was a driver malfunction. I have already found the setting via remote control. With my other multichannel USB DACs, the volume can be adjusted via the driver and on the device or via remote control.
I get exactly the same as you from my DM7 in windows (latest v1.18 firmware on DM7).

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping please just add an Adat input to this device. This would make it perfect as a multi purpose multichannel DAC even for TV, AVR, consoles etc.

TheLastGerman

I've had my DM7 for a fortnight now and I'm more than happy with it. I had given up on the PC-based crossover after experimenting a lot with a Motu 8A, but it somehow never sounded right, in a subtle but annoying way. Then I bought an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I don't enjoy fiddling around with passive crossovers, not to mention the component cost. Then, thanks to Amir, I learned about the DM7 and tried it out. I don't regret it, I sold the ADI-2 as I can't hear any difference in sound quality when I connect the DM7 in stereo.

If I had one, I'd put a golfing panther on it too.

dartinbout

Hear, hear! Best ASR purchase yet

Last edited:

1HzCosine

Hi guys,

I just got my DM7 in the mail.
I'm downgrading from a Lynx Hilo.

Now whenever I power on my amplifier (Rotel Rmb-1095)
There is a loud humming/buzz coming from my speakers.
Mind you, there are not any signal cables connecting these 2.

Just having them both plugged into the same outlet on the wall using an extension cord.
The noise from the amplifier goes away as soon as I turn the DM7 off.

I've tried both of them grounded, either un-grounded or both un-grounded.
Still a lot of noise.
It only goes away when the DM7 is off.

Simply moving the dm'7 to a different circuit is not an option.

The only thing that works to reduce this noise (quite significantly) is an "iFI Audio AC iPurifier"

Is it possible that my DM7 is somehow faulty?
It should not be making the electrical grid more noisy right?

I've never experienced this before.

Thank you in advance.

Joaquinín

Hi guys,

I just got my DM7 in the mail.
I'm downgrading from a Lynx Hilo.

Now whenever I power on my amplifier (Rotel Rmb-1095)
There is a loud humming/buzz coming from my speakers.
Mind you, there are not any signal cables connecting these 2.

Just having them both plugged into the same outlet on the wall using an extension cord.
The noise from the amplifier goes away as soon as I turn the DM7 off.

I've tried both of them grounded, either un-grounded or both un-grounded.
Still a lot of noise.
It only goes away when the DM7 is off.

Simply moving the dm'7 to a different circuit is not an option.

The only thing that works to reduce this noise (quite significantly) is an "iFI Audio AC iPurifier"

Is it possible that my DM7 is somehow faulty?
It should not be making the electrical grid more noisy right?

I've never experienced this before.

Thank you in advance.
I am using my DM7 with actives Neumann Kh-80 in the nearfield, completely black silence...

1HzCosine

I am using my DM7 with actives Neumann Kh-80 in the nearfield, completely black silence...
It works fine with my THX 789 headphone amplifier, as well.
But it uses one of those switching power supplies.

My Rotel amplifier uses two 1.2 kVA toroid transformers.
That might be why it would be sensitive to electrical noise from the power grid?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is the idea to connect these with Logiteck z906 5.1 system?

The Logitech Z906 has unbalanced inputs. Attempting to connect it to a Topping DM7, which has balanced outputs, is not a good idea.

Not to mention it would be grossly overkill, as the Z906 is a very low-end speaker system. It would make way more sense to pair a Z906 with something more mundane like a Xonar U7 for example. Spending serious money on the DAC would be pure waste in such a setup.

Last edited:

tim5

Το Logitech Z906 έχει μη ισορροπημένες εισόδους. Δεν είναι καλή ιδέα να επιχειρήσετε να το συνδέσετε σε ένα Topping DM7, το οποίο έχει ισορροπημένες εξόδους.

Για να μην αναφέρουμε ότι θα ήταν υπερβολικά υπερβολικό, καθώς το Z906 είναι ένα σύστημα ηχείων πολύ χαμηλής ποιότητας. Θα ήταν πολύ πιο λογικό να συνδυάσετε ένα Z906 με κάτι πιο συνηθισμένο όπως ένα Xonar U7 για παράδειγμα. Η δαπάνη σοβαρών χρημάτων στο DAC θα ήταν σκέτη σπατάλη σε μια τέτοια εγκατάσταση.
Τhanks!.....My system logiteck is not so bad,because i have front elac6.2 debut and center a pionner from kuro tv.I think will buy soundblaster AE -5 PLUS or X3.,but i dont know which sound better for movies.....

MWC

If I can find one and buy a DM7 how can I use it's balanced outs (TRS) into my old Denon's unbalanced (RCA) ins? The old Denon (AVR-1705) is pre HDMI.

charlielaub

If I can find one and buy a DM7 how can I use it's balanced outs (TRS) into my old Denon's unbalanced (RCA) ins? The old Denon (AVR-1705) is pre HDMI.
I strongly advise against doing that.
Buy a DAC with single ended outputs (that use RCA connectors) for example from miniDSP.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
You'll need to convert the signal properly. Search this thread for XLR -> RCA, but YMMV as to how succesful. For me, I had XLR for everything except subwoofers and thay would thump on shutdown and power-up. I really couldn't tolerate that so ended up buying a schiit Magnius to go from XLR to RCA (yeah, I had read about thumping it in the comments). I guess others have had ground loops and other oddities.

Still, compared to (some) other multichannel DACs i.e. Exasound, the Topping is still a cheap solution. Just be aware you'll probably run into some issue that you may or may not be able to solve.

charlielaub

Sure, sure, it IS possible but you will need to convert each channel you want to use from balanced to unbalanced (properly). By properly I do not mean that you only connect a couple of the wires! It's best to use an active/powered converter box.

There are converters like the Henry Engineering Matchbox HD. These each convert 2-channels, so for all the channels in the DM7 you need four of them (they cost $250 each). There might be other similar equipment out there, but you have to be careful. Most if not all of them will have WORSE noise and distortion performance compared to the DM7 itself, and that will become the limiting factor in the sound quality. Well, actually if you are using an old AV receiver, then THAT is most likely the limiting factor in your signal chain already.

You might as well buy a Behringer UMC1820. You can use that with TRS-->RCA adapter plugs and it will work fine. I have two of them so I am talking from experience here. Costs about half as much as the DM7 and you get 10 analog output channels. Works great under Linux, too.

Last edited:

MWC

Thanks for the advice everyone. OK I need to clarify that if I end up buying a different DAC, then it has to be able to do DSD. The BIG attraction with Topping is that they understand DSD and are affordable. Maybe the DM7 suffered low sales because more people are like me and don't need balanced out in a Mch situation where they'll be connecting to an AVR? Elsewhere I have stereo balanced out into 2 active monitors. Obviously anyone will want to avoid having to buy at least 3 more active monitors to go Multichannel music :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom