• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
You mean measure the SINAD of software processing? o_O

That was my initial thought as well, but the output from the DSP software ought to be readily comparable to the input or the expected output or such. Not measurements, though.

Labjr

Major Contributor
You mean measure the SINAD of software processing? o_O

I don't know exactly. But want to be sure the resolution of the source material is being preserved without added noise, artifacts etc.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was my initial thought as well, but the output from the DSP software ought to be readily comparable to the input or the expected output or such. Not measurements, though.
If not measurements then what do you mean "for transparency"?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know exactly. But want to be sure the resolution of the source material is being preserved.
It is a digital signal, what will change the "resolution" unless it is intentional?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it's a free app it's not like you're paying for anything.
But it is also not doing what people assumed it did. It is not a decoder that decodes Atmos to multi-channel output, which is what is being discussed on this thread, it being about a multi-ch DAC.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know exactly. But want to be sure the resolution of the source material is being preserved without added noise, artifacts etc.
Be assured that unless it is asked to do, software works on mathematical formulae to process the digital signal and no noise or artefacts are added.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it’s just software output one can easily check it bit for bit, no measurements needed.
How can you if it is an active crossover, a room EQ, etc.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread has gone off the rails. It looks like a device like multi-ch DAC is above the knowledge level of many members and their questions are so whacky that it is impossible to answer.

Drengur

Forum Donor
Ignore, philosophical rant:

I love these "It's not for me, and therefore it is not a good product" and "I don't understand anything that is going on, and am not willing to learn". Many people seem to be under the notion that all products try to be general and all encompassing. I get it, I do. I would like to remind people that those AV receivers that claim to be everything to everyone have also had a very negative effect on consumers and the audio market. I used to chase the latest sticker on the latest Marantz. It was expensive and did not add much other than bragging rights.

I, for one, like to be in control of the products I use to the extent possible. Digital audio, and video, is not magic and all the hurdles that are laid out in front of consumers, which they have to pay for jumping over, are artificial hindrances insofar as they are only needed because they are the standard. I am not well enough off to be able to constantly chase standards (and there really is no need), and I have adequate knowledge to be able to bypass them, by using general purpose computing devices (I mean legally, I would never download a car). For me a product such as this is quite interesting and usable within the scope of what it is intended to do.

Don't ignore, based on measurements: This product opens up a whole lot of cheap quality audio to a lot of people. If you don't understand why, there have been various examples in this thread. If you don't care, that's ok, just remember that life is too short to spend time on all the issues you have no interest in.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Be assured that unless it is asked to do, software works on mathematical formulae to process the digital signal and no noise or artefacts are added.
Why not? Filters are meant to add linear distortion after all. And math has rounding errors and non-infinite precision. When converting back to the target bit depth things like dither and noise shaping might add additional noise with added perceived resolution as a benefit. Not more resolution than was available in the source, but they might restore resolution lost due to the nature of the specific DSP operation (lowering gain for instance).

Trell

Major Contributor
How can you if it is an active crossover, a room EQ, etc.

Similar as for DSP in a box where you compare input with hardware output along with various DSP settings used, except now you have the direct DSP output instead.

It should be similar to how people test, say, an Audacity plugin.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Just curious about the balanced outputs.
Are most commentators now using balanced equipment, or are people converting outputs to unbalanced?
In my case, I'd need unbalanced, so unfortunately this piece of equipment is not right for me.

mkt

As someone who uses all 8 channels of a Okto Dac8 Pro (but would have preferred to not have waited so long), this thread is sort of a riot.
I am obliged to mention that Mac -> USB -> multichannel DAC -> active speakers does work for atmos in apple music and tv because it is a niche (corner?) use case that matters to me. I don't make the rules.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not? Filters are meant to add linear distortion after all. And math has rounding errors and non-infinite precision. When converting back to the target bit depth things like dither and noise shaping might add additional noise with added perceived resolution as a benefit. Not more resolution than was available in the source, but they might restore resolution lost due to the nature of the specific DSP operation (lowering gain for instance).
Read my post again, please. I said, unless asked to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom