• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 53 16.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 247 76.0%

• Total voters
image.jpg

It’s off the rails because so many wants so much more than what is offered from a simple eight channel DAC in a HT environment use case.
I think most of the confusion comes from the fact that people have learned how adding a multi-channel power amplifier can be an upgrade to an AVR. Now we have a multi-channel DAC, but it can not serve as a further upgrade in between the two, or between an AVR and active speakers. That is confusing, and leads to questions and, unfortunately, feelings of disappointment.

This DM7 is strictly a computer output device, an external sound card with a couple of functional bells and whistles. Sure, you can call it a multi-channel DAC - it’s not that it isn’t one. However I’m not so sure that people want too much in this particular case. I’d rather argue that the term multi-channel DAC suggests too much.

I think most of the confusion comes from the fact that people have learned how adding a multi-channel power amplifier can be an upgrade to an AVR. Now we have a multi-channel DAC, but it can not serve as a further upgrade in between the two, or between an AVR and active speakers. That is confusing, and leads to questions and, unfortunately, feelings of disappointment.

This DM7 is strictly a computer output device, an external sound card with a couple of functional bells and whistles. Sure, you can call it a multi-channel DAC - it’s not that it isn’t one. However I’m not so sure that people want too much in this particular case. I’d rather argue that the term multi-channel DAC suggests too much.
I think the problem is people ignore the letter V in an AVP/AVR. Yes this is an audio forum but still…

That’s a reasonable explanation for sure.

Compared to multichannel audio interfaces threads the posters are not the same, even though there is an overlap of course. Depending on use case I rather use my RME UCX II for this, if I where so inclined.

Topping needs to pay someone to write up a comprehensive DM7 Guide describing how the 8 channel DAC might best be used. That would open up sales to those that have not explored multi-channel audio via computer and provide testing of configurations that work. Without that sales will be limited. Education will matter if they want this model to sell with volume. Topping will also need to add features in future revisions if they want to expand the market.

Reactions: MAB
is it possible to use this dac with the nvidia shield usb multi ch out an get dolby or multi ch pcm output to a 7 ch amp an sub amp

can this dac be pre configured an store said config

It is quite interesting to see that posters think they are the target market and Toping must explain to people like them how this device is used. The Dunning–Kruger effect is at full steam on this thread. :)

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the use of a multi channel dac?

In the simplest use case, playback of any digital audio file. So music or video ripped from disc or purchased as a download file.
Or for live PA, or zone distribution, or an active crossover...

Perhaps this will help you understand my comment.

In other DAC reviews, I thought I'd seen @JohnYang1997 comment that you should not convert between balanced to unbalanced (maybe I'm not remembering correctly). Not a big deal, since most of Topping's DACs have some variant with the outputs you need to use with your existing equipment.

This DAC only has the balanced version, so no choice here.

This DAC is not for me if outputs shouldn't/can't be converted due to some technical limitation.
Of course, the balanced signal can be converted to an unbalanced one if done properly, such as with a transformer or an active circuit. What you are asking, I think, is can I use an adapter that takes one side of the balanced output and uses it as an unbalanced one.

Reactions: MWC
What you are asking, I think, is can I use an adapter that takes one side of the balanced output and uses it as an unbalanced one.
And your view is..?

I cannot see what can be the problem. Can you?

You might get a bunch more even order distortion since it won't be canceling any longer, but that's not exactly the biggest problem.

Back
Top Bottom