• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

digicidal

Major Contributor
  1. There is no HDMI in or out
  2. There is no HDMI switch
  3. There is no audio source selection
  4. There is no possibility to decode spatial audio (for a consumer)
It's entirely possible... however, it's far from straightforward. Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see a full replacement as well, but it's not going to happen at prices that aren't identical to (if not exceeding) those of already available AVR/AVP units. Unless Topping starts shipping in volumes similar to the big names.

Since a PC front-end is required, switching, multiple inputs, etc. can all be handled with either capture/streaming gear or similar. While I do have multiple sources in my HT setup - to be honest they're all unused 95% of the time. I rip everything to MKV (if video) or FLAC (if audio) and prefer to play from the files rather than the source media which is locked away as a backup. I use my Oppo as the source for everything simply because it has a nice remote and always just works - but I can't remember the last time I played an actual disc in it... it's just so easy to navigate to the NAS and play from file.

That being said... even I hesitate to centralize everything in an HTPC again... because of the relative complexity of configuration and maintenance requirements vs. a firmware only hardware solution.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since a PC is required, many (myself included) will simply set levels on the DAC side at the peak limit for the room/monitors and handle granular adjustment on the PC side. If the desire is to use it both as DAC and preamp, then I totally agree - as the buttons are definitely harder to use and less intuitive than a knob.

Hello @digicidal,

Almost the same in my PC-based active multichannel multi-amplifier setup with OKTO DAC8PRO. I always keep DAC8PRO's volume/gain controller at -4 dB for all of the 8 channels.

"Where to control Master Volume" and "Where and how to control Relative Gains" are two of the many important/critical aspects of active digital multichannel multi-amplifier audio systems, not only for "flexible sound tuning" but also from "safety" point of view; we should carefully establish our "self-defensive" measures and operation protocols (including ignition sequences and shutdown sequences) so that we would avoid/minimize any unintentional accidental "destructive damage" to our treasure SP drivers by unusual high-gain into our DACs amplifiers and SP drivers.

Just yesterday, I described and shared here about these issues by showing my self-defensive measures and careful operation protocols in my active digital multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo audio project.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When using a PC as source, playing movies with multichannel audio with a software like JRiver MC or VLC, then sure it will be a killer home theater audio chain. The problem is that as far as I know it won't support Dolby Atmos, and you need the PC playing your content, no Blu Ray discs, video game consoles or TV apps as source. So yes, for that particular use case, PC as source, it is a killer system.
For only 2D surround and only for material (files) on your PC. In other words it is just an experiment, not suitable for daily use. Or a for a specific niche case.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's entirely possible... however, it's far from straightforward. Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see a full replacement as well, but it's not going to happen at prices that aren't identical to (if not exceeding) those of already available AVR/AVP units. Unless Topping starts shipping in volumes similar to the big names.

Since a PC front-end is required, switching, multiple inputs, etc. can all be handled with either capture/streaming gear or similar. While I do have multiple sources in my HT setup - to be honest they're all unused 95% of the time. I rip everything to MKV (if video) or FLAC (if audio) and prefer to play from the files rather than the source media which is locked away as a backup. I use my Oppo as the source for everything simply because it has a nice remote and always just works - but I can't remember the last time I played an actual disc in it... it's just so easy to navigate to the NAS and play from file.

That being said... even I hesitate to centralize everything in an HTPC again... because of the relative complexity of configuration and maintenance requirements vs. a firmware only hardware solution.
This assumes you are OK with breaking the copyright protection?

sseppala

Forum Donor
Does anyone know where the preamp mode volume defaults to and does it retain the set volume after complete power loss? As most, I would like to use this to control DIY active speakers, so it would be rather dangerous if the volume could accidentally rise to -0dB. In my current setup I use regular 7.1 receiver that defaults to -50dB in case of power loss.

Edit: I emailed Topping and they replyed that the volume is saved and default volume is -30dB link

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is that as far as I know it won't support Dolby Atmos, and you need the PC playing your content, no Blu Ray discs, video game consoles or TV apps as source. So yes, for that particular use case, PC as source, it is a killer system.

I keep seeing this claim and I feel like I'm missing something? You can download Atmos codec for free from MS store. DTS is also available, is there some compatibility problem I'm not seeing?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep seeing this claim and I feel like I'm missing something? You can download Atmos codec for free from MS store. DTS is also available, is there some compatibility problem I'm not seeing?
You probably didn't read what the app is actually doing, did you?

The Dolby Atmos app allows you to configure your Windows 10 PC to support Dolby Atmos over HDMI to your Dolby Atmos home theater or sound bar for an enhanced surround experience for all your favorite 5.1- and 7.1-channel content. Dolby Atmos over HDMI is enabled for free when you install this app.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Link please.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know where the preamp mode volume defaults to and does it retain the set volume after complete power loss? As most, I would like to use this to control DIY active speakers, so it would be rather dangerous if the volume could accidentally rise to -0dB. In my current setup I use regular 7.1 receiver that defaults to -50dB in case of power loss.
What is the preamp mode?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Link please.

But...

atmos.jpg

KaasNL

Forum Donor
In the simplest case is for multichannel music or movie playback (if you can decode the latter prior to sending it the DAC). Another application is building multi-way active speakers. Then you need 2 or more channels for each speaker.
This unit doesn't have dsp right? What kind of software would be needed to use this in an active speaker setup?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But...

View attachment 218081
In other words Atmos codec is only available for HPs. Atmos for HP has nothing to do with Atmos for HT.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This unit doesn't have dsp right? What kind of software would be needed to use this in an active speaker setup?
Read a few posts earlier or search ASR where multiple options were given.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
In other words Atmos codec is only available for HPs. Atmos for HP has nothing to do with Atmos for HT.
It's for HT also,only free as a trial though,that's what I underlined.

Top Bottom