• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would've helped Topping to actually send units to beta testers that use these configurations. I mean; it's no secret of who was requesting features for a MCH dac like this from the thread I started here on 9/21/2021. This in my opinion was a fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you have a spatial setup. 2D surround is very last decade :)

Not to mention you don’t have HDMI inputs nor selection.
If you have the room and the wallet for a full on Atmos setup, go for it. Most people will probably be doing 5.1 or 7,1. Me, I do 5.1 over the PC, and view Atmos movies over my SMYTH A16 Realizer which does up to 24 immersive audio channels of ATMOS, DTS-X, and/or Auro 3D over my choice of in studio recorded Dutch & Dutch 8Cs + Pardigm sub PRIR or my home recorded 24 channel LS 50 Metas with SB 2000 sub PRIR binaurally rendering out to my HD 800s and LCD Xs.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

They could come out with the required bridging device, probably HDMI eARC to USB then you could put your PC in the middle and do your DSP...

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would've helped Topping to actually send units to beta testers that use these configurations. I mean; it's no secret of who was requesting features for a MCH dac like this from the thread I started here on 9/21/2022. This in my opinion was a fail.

9/21/21 ;)

Perhaps this is just the first multichannel offering from Topping? In which case, I think it's a pretty good attempt... for the price.

Mani.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
9/21/21 ;)

Perhaps this is just the first multichannel offering from Topping? In which case, I think it's a pretty good attempt... for the price.

Mani.
Ha, yes, corrected. I try never to go backwards in life. ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They could come out with the required bridging device, probably HDMI eARC to USB then you could put your PC in the middle and do your DSP...
A HDMI capture card might get you there, but you have HDCP to deal with. You’ll probably won’t get bitstream audio out of it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, thanks! We are screen capturing the same website just so you know!!! And seeing the same drivers on that website. The same owner's manual.
Then why are you asking what is in front of your eyes?

I’m responding to your following post. As Amirm is talking about driver, the word “this” and “it” in your post means drivers too. I was trying to be helpful by telling you to refer to the manual which clearly says “it” is in their website.

532B13BD-68C8-4BD1-BEF6-B2F8047506EA.jpeg

Reactions: MWC

levimax

Major Contributor
View attachment 217906

Suppose I have the above configuration:
1) USB connected to PC and running Foobar2000
2) connection to active speakers as above

Does Foobar 2000 have channel assignment such as above or similar (the numbers above are just for reference)? What about SW cutoff frequency setting? Does Foobar2000 have cutoff freq setting?
Check out foo_dsp_xover http://xover.sourceforge.net/

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, yes - I'm definitely familiar with the disappointments associated with Linux audio. But, in the overwhelming majority of cases I've looked at, it's the mixer/routing/channel mapping that tends to be the problem with these interfaces.
There are way more pro audio interfaces that do have issues with Linux + multichannel, than don't

There are a few Motu models well known to play nicely with Linux

But spend some time at Linux Musicians Forum to see all the issues

I'm specifically talking multichannel on Linux

We don't yet know about DM7 with Linux

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then have you read and participated in @dualazmak 's very comprehensive discourses on active crossovers for his speakers using an 8 channel DAC ?
Thank you @maxxevv for your kind description about my active multichannel multi-amplifier project using OKTO DAC8PRO.

Those who would be interested, you will be much welcome to my thread on multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo audio project. You can find my latest (as of May 30, 2022) system setup here. You would please find here (on my project thread) and here (remote independent thread post) the Hyperlink Index of my project thread.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
For simple channel mapping you don't need plug in:

but yes,foo dsp xover has everything one needs.

Edit:For everyone who wants to play with multichannel SACD's:

Multi.jpg

Last edited:

Peafowl

Multiple inputs is not the point. If it had parity with OKTO in that regard you would for example be able to use a CCA as a source into the DAC, send to USB host for crossover DSP processing, and back to the DAC and feed into amps and have a clean active DSP speaker setup with no additional ASRC in the chain.
If you are looking for a all in one solution ... there you go https://analog-precision.com/home/upp/

But don't say it is to expensive because otherwise you would need 2-4 different hardware and software units to do the same thing.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Peafowl

Hi I canot see the benefit of this example, because you create an multi ADC ,DAC chain. Attched the Hypex block diagram. This explains the internal Hypex structure.
Please help me to understand your example.
They talk about "DIY" multi channel hypex Amps not the plate-amps which includes an extra DSP.

Timbo2

Make me spit my coffee out! LOL.

The one that really got me was a JVC Super Digifine receiver, RX-1001V. I think it's around 100 buttons (many double ended) on the moulded back plate, under the front panel buttons and above the tactile switches. And every one, perfectly centred, supported and positive. Ahh, the 80s.

View attachment 217892

It was a retro beast. I have one someplace- you should see the remote! Full backlit touch screen LCD learning thing.
I had one of these in college. We referred to the backlit LCD as “Tokyo at Night”.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Make me spit my coffee out! LOL.

The one that really got me was a JVC Super Digifine receiver, RX-1001V. I think it's around 100 buttons (many double ended) on the moulded back plate, under the front panel buttons and above the tactile switches. And every one, perfectly centred, supported and positive. Ahh, the 80s.

View attachment 217892

It was a retro beast. I have one someplace- you should see the remote! Full backlit touch screen LCD learning thing.
An UX nightmare. The UI is designed on a grid paper! :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom