• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those seeking an SACD transport option for the Topping D90se that circumvents its S/PDIF receiver problems—specifically for those with an Oppo BDP-103/105 or a UDP-203/205–I found a terrific option that achieves a quality on par with PSAudio’s PerfectWave SACD transport ($6,900) at a fraction of the cost.

There’s a website called Oppomod.com that sells hardware mods for the above-mentioned Oppo blu-ray players that require minimal to no soldering or significant alterations to the unit, and also don’t compromise the native player’s functions. Since the warranty period for these players is long past, there’s not much to lose.

I bought four of their mods for my UDP-203–a PCM/DoP board upgrade, a BD-ROM stabilizer, an I2S output board, and a linear power supply upgrade. There were options to add a Femto clock upgrade that required soldering and a more complex install that I passed on for now. Total cost for all four mods was $1100; for just the PCM/DoP and I2S mods the cost is $600.

The PCM/DoP mod replaces the Oppo’s analog output DAC board for one that adds a new user menu—one that allows you to bypass Oppo’s coax output limit of 48khz 16 bit downsampling to now output 192/24 via a new coaxial port.

The BD-ROM stabilizer provides more accurate data retrieval from the CD player mechanism and upgrades the transport to the quality of the limited edition Japanese BDP-105 unit.

The LPM SE substantially upgrades the existing power supply from a switching version to an audiophile-grade toroidal option.

The I2S mod is an add-on card that shunts all the digital data streams out of an I2S port that is identical to the pinout of PSAudio’s SACD transports (of note, PSAudio still uses Oppo’s transport for their own products). Similar to the PerfectWave, the I2S output allows the native SACD data stream to be sent to the Topping to be natively decoded there. It also sends Red Book CD data streams upscaled to 192/24 to be decoded by the Topping.

I’ve received all four mods and plan to install them this weekend. I’ll send photos of the process in the next few days. The designer of the mods is very accessible and responsive via email and shipping was super fast—I got them from S. Korea within 8 days.

If anyone is interested I’m happy to answer any questions! I’m committed to finding workarounds for the significant input receiver issues with the Topping d90SE, because otherwise I think it’s a top-notch DAC.

—Steve

Last edited:

nagster

BTW, @JohnYang1997, do you have measurements of a pre90 driven by the D90SE?
I know a guy searching for an ultra clean signal generator doing more than single tones ;)
d90se_pre90_01.jpg

The disappeared measurement result folder was found, so I will post it.
D90se and D90se+Pre90 5V / 3.7V / 1V / 0.1V dashboards.
D90se default filter (#3)

Attachments

• 1a_d90se_5V_0dBFS.png
    1a_d90se_5V_0dBFS.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 1b_d90se+pre90_5V_0dB.png
    1b_d90se+pre90_5V_0dB.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 2a_d90sedac_3p7V.png
    2a_d90sedac_3p7V.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 2b_d90se+pre90_3p7V.png
    2b_d90se+pre90_3p7V.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 3a_d90se_-14dB_1V.png
    3a_d90se_-14dB_1V.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 3b_d90se+pre90_1V.png
    3b_d90se+pre90_1V.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 4a_d90se_-34dB_100mV.png
    4a_d90se_-34dB_100mV.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 4b_d90se+pre90_100mV.png
    4b_d90se+pre90_100mV.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 214

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
I haven't been following this thread, I just wanted to stop in to say that I haven't had a single problem with my D90SE and that it sounds simply amazing. I've had it since August, I've been running it through the PRE90+ since September, and not a single hiccup. Stellar sound. I am done with DACs and preamps, I'm at end game, any money I spend going forward will be on buying music.

DdEviL

Hello @amirm, would it be possible to include in your review the distortion/frequency for the other reconstruction filters? Currently the graph only includes #1 a #7.

Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can I connect the d30pro to the d90se ???
Both of them have only analog outputs and digital inputs, so you cannot connect them to each other afaik.
What are you trying to achieve by connecting them?

galanakop

Both of them have only analog outputs and digital inputs, so you cannot connect them to each other afaik.
sorry for the mistake. I meant α30pro
sorry for the mistake. I meant α30pro

Klotz

Hello everyone,

I own a D90SE since a couple of weeks and I wonder if anyone have solved the problem with sound droppings via optical and coax inputs?
I use my D90SE with CD player by coax - the droppings are like every 25-30 minutes, but with 12 yo Sony tv by optical droppings are even by every 3-5 seconds to 15-30 seconds (this varies on tv channel I am watching, on some there are no droppings). This is really annoying. I am dissappointed with this gear... Any solutions so far?
I also noticed that droppings are more frequent in time. At the very beginning I haven't noticed them. There are no droppings with USB, neither the bluetooth.

Top Bottom