• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

MrEWhite

#7 is a lil' tight at 44.1, #6 would seem the better choice if you insist on a "correct" filter. I would rather avoid the slow rolloff #2 and #4 filters. My faves would probably be the "classic" fast rolloff filters #5 or #3, they may let a bit of aliasing through up to ~24 kHz but are pretty much bombproof beyond that (and the aliased 20-22 kHz range usually contains little in terms of signal anyway).
So, the default is probably fine then?

rlwings

Hey guys, so I just found out that my new Marantz model 30 has an "Amp direct input" - Do you think it would be better to use the D90SE's preamp instead of the Marantz preamp? - The marantz preamp does have it's own toroidal power supply and Marantz's 'magical HDAMS', but apparently it measures worse than the D90's preamp... Finding that hard to believe that the Topping would beat the full-size, separately powered, custom parts and shielded sound of the pricey Marantz.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Hey guys, so I just found out that my new Marantz model 30 has an "Amp direct input" - Do you think it would be better to use the D90SE's preamp instead of the Marantz preamp? - The marantz preamp does have it's own toroidal power supply and Marantz's 'magical HDAMS', but apparently it measures worse than the D90's preamp... Finding that hard to believe that the Topping would beat the full-size, separately powered, custom parts and shielded sound of the pricey Marantz.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you should think about it more. Break it down.
"Full-size"? - Means what, how is it relevant?
Separately powered? ?
Custom parts? ? Such as? "Audiophile capacitors"?

Palex

Thoughts?
Buy Marantz SACD 30n-it will be adequately your amplifier. It isn't necessary to buy a beads and toys.

glc650

Hi @JohnYang1997 , I was reading few threads from Roon Lab Community, just wonder if Topping has provided D90SE , D90MQA and D90 to Roon for testing as Roon Tested/ Roon Ready audio devices ?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ad...0se-to-list-of-dacs-identified-by-roon/164130
Roon Ready isn't even possible since these DACs aren't streamers/don't have network connections. Roon Tested I believe would be the case here.

Does it do anything?
I believe Roon Tested would just ensure that the DAC(s) specs are detected properly by Roon when a (Roon Ready) streaming device is plugged into it. I use a Raspberry Pi with the RoPieee (Roon Ready) OS with my D90SE and it appears that the DAC's specs are detected properly but the DAC shows up as unidentified in Roon.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.37.14 AM.png

Last edited:

auronthas

I believe Roon Tested would just ensure that the DAC(s) specs are detected properly by Roon when a (Roon Ready) streaming device is plugged into it. I use a Raspberry Pi with the RoPieee (Roon Ready) OS with my D90SE and it appears that the DAC's specs are detected properly but the DAC shows up as unidentified in Roon.
Exactly, to add on, Roon tested devices can be after Roon Ready endpoint or Roon Core (NUC/ROCK) via USB to Topping D90

9331C3B2-DF18-489C-8350-F93600D39118.jpeg

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it do anything?
Does it help the product work with Roon currently? No, it works!

Does it build a bit of credibility? Perhaps.

Most importantly, it establishes a working relationship with Roon for when you decide to build an all in one box Dac/Streamer, Dac, Pre, Amp, Streamer etc which will help the design process on your end from the get-go rather than submit an already completed product which will require firmware changes to meet their standard.

Mrgoogle

wonder if it has galvanic isolated USB in Topping D90SE ? ground loop problem issue maybe ?

Palex

Hi @@JohnYang1997 ,as T 90 SE shows original MQA (blue color) and stereotyped MQA (the indicator of green color)?

Topping played a measuring game. If you are interested in the internal structure, you will see, over time they have removed a lot of high-quality components. In D90se, toroidal transformers are gone, ES9038 pro is also half the price of AK4499, no more Accusilicon oscillators, no more linear regulators from Texas Instrument, no Nichicon high quality filter capacitors, and the price remains unchanged. It's clear that it's just the measurement results and they're benefiting a lot from this website.

Veri

Master Contributor
There is no more AK4499 supply. Accusilicon oscillators are just a fad/hype. NOT necessary especially not with ESS Sabre chips and good design... can't speak about the capacitors or regulators but the results speak for themselves. I'm sure Topping/@JohnYang1997 know what they're doing. Your post reads mostly like empty accusations...

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Topping played a measuring game. If you are interested in the internal structure, you will see, over time they have removed a lot of high-quality components. In D90se, toroidal transformers are gone, ES9038 pro is also half the price of AK4499, no more Accusilicon oscillators, no more linear regulators from Texas Instrument, no Nichicon high quality filter capacitors, and the price remains unchanged. It's clear that it's just the measurement results and they're benefiting a lot from this website.
Do you contend that the removed "high-quality components" adversely impacted the performance of the D90SE? If so, would be interested in your analysis.

Top Bottom