• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Nicolaas

Indeed I use my D90 in pre amp mode and it's key to see the volume level. BTW my Linux player Audacious shows bit depth and sample frequency! Response to #829..

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Screen doesnt show samplerat etc? Why not...even su 8 does it......shows volume when chainging it and goes back to samplerate, that's perfect.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Screen doesnt show samplerat etc? Why not...even su 8 does it......shows volume when chainging it and goes back to samplerate, that's perfect.
It does. Guessing nothing was playing when the review photo was taken.

D90SE-02_1024x1024.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It does. Guessing nothing was playing when the review photo was taken.
Yeh, I have no source input in my photo booth so the DAC just put up dashes. So I brought up the filter menu for the picture.

sthaus

father forgive them because they don't know what they say ...

In fact, I asked AMIR to be kind enough to carry out scientific tests to demonstrate what I found from the listening tests I performed.
In practice, the quality of the sound output from the DAC depends on the DRIVERS used

I got what you mentioned. For me, same hardware, different Drivers end with different experiences .. Carrying out the test just measured the "best limitation/achievement" of the products .. doesn't reflect your default listening experiences unless your preferred taste has different colour.

ea666

Got a delivery update today.

DHL Shipment On Hold

looks like it ain’t coming anytime soon

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Processing can go quite quickly though.

Yes, a lot of DHL shipments, both international and domestic, tend to sit around doing nothing and then suddenly start moving and can end up at your door just a couple of days later.

Palex

Who will tell - Shenzhenaudio are honest shop? I have paid on June 15. The first time promised to send before the end of the week. Then in a week, yesterday have told at the end of July. It - isn't honest!

CelicaGTS

Display bug report. @JohnYang1997
Just received D90SE & A90 paired with XLR @5v, loving it so far! I use HQPlayer converts PCM to DSD256. For 44.1k DSD, the unit displays 11.28MHz which correct, but for 48k DSD, the unit displays 2.82MHz which is incorrect (should be 12.288MHz)
1) I hope this doesn’t affect sound quality? (I don’t think so from what I heard)
2) Could it be fixed by firmware update?
Thank you for the awesome DAC and AMP!

ea666

Who will tell - Shenzhenaudio are honest shop? I have paid on June 15. The first time promised to send before the end of the week. Then in a week, yesterday have told at the end of July. It - isn't honest!
I have purchased from them form the first time via Amazon and so far no issues. They have been very responsive with any messages sent. Hope things get better for you.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Display bug report. @JohnYang1997
Just received D90SE & A90 paired with XLR @5v, loving it so far! I use HQPlayer converts PCM to DSD256. For 44.1k DSD, the unit displays 11.28MHz which correct, but for 48k DSD, the unit displays 2.82MHz which is incorrect (should be 12.288MHz)
1) I hope this doesn’t affect sound quality? (I don’t think so from what I heard)
2) Could it be fixed by firmware update?
Thank you for the awesome DAC and AMP!
The device is not designed for 48khz DSD.
I don't recommend any way of over sampling or PCM to DSD/PDM conversion. Play at the original format gives best result.

spartaman64

did they not ship yet or did they ship but the shipping company is taking a while?
if they didnt ship yet then its their fault but if they shipped it and the shipping company is slow then its the shipping company's fault and its out of their hands literally.

CelicaGTS

The device is not designed for 48khz DSD.
I don't recommend any way of over sampling or PCM to DSD/PDM conversion. Play at the original format gives best result.

IOW, the playback of 44k DSD is better than 48k DSD? Could you please explain why it’s not for 48k DSD? What if I purchased original format 48k DSD content?

CelicaGTS

I am not aware of original 48K dsd content.
Just googled and realized there aren’t any original 48k DSD content I could find! Given that there are lots of 48k-family PCM original content, the hardware already support 48k clock, why is the dislike for supporting 48k-family DSD? I asked because I also find other manufacturers even losing 48k DSD support through firmware update!
In the end, could you please let me know what might be impacted (clock accuracy? SINAD? Etc) when D90SE plays 48k-family DSD content? Thanks.

threni

Major Contributor
did they not ship yet or did they ship but the shipping company is taking a while?
if they didnt ship yet then its their fault but if they shipped it and the shipping company is slow then its the shipping company's fault and its out of their hands literally.
Also, does paid mean "I provided payment details" or "they have taken the payment from my account"?

Top Bottom