• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My D70 behaves equally as the D90 when it comes to device control and behavior. Unfortunately, display burns are inevitable on these devices. For sure I will never again buy a device whose display cannot be turned off completely. Also have the D50s and it behaves as it should considering it also has the OLED screen. I really like Topping devices for their sound quality, own a bunch of them, but they still haven't stopped messing around with good options, features and ideas, aftermarket values, and in some cases they are even removing useful features in newer or refreshed devices (e.g. A50->A50s). I really doubt it could be "fixed" with a firmware upgrade. They're probably counting on us to change devices in the foreseeable future anyway :rolleyes:.
OLED is used becouse TFT looks like shit. We are trying to use VA panel next year. Firmware is only for XMOS now. But we are doing microcontroller upgrade and CPLD upgrade for future products. It's not trivial stuff.

Also what feature is removed from A50s?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So, it appears that there is a high likelyhood that these displays will experience burn in. On the display of the D50s there is an option to put the display to sleep when it's not needed. I wonder if this is something that Topping can change with a firmware update...

I'm curious why Topping would choose to put OLED displays into these DACs and then not take reasonable precautions to protect them.
Like you said D50 and D50s' screen can be set to auto turning off after 30 seconds.
The coming D70s also has that.

kkeretic

Audio bypass (when turned off) if I understand a new preamp feature correctly, two unbalanced outputs, +9dB high gain. It would be a brutal device with all that kept next to its fantastic sound measures.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Audio bypass (when turned off) if I understand new preamp feature correctly, two unbalanced outputs, +9dB high gain.
But then reality is
Added new preamp function, which is superb in performance and can be used as bypass just set volume to max.
Added new 4.4mm balanced output. Much more expensive than 3.5mm + 2.5mm combined then times 2. 2.5mm is very not durable. 6.35mm can be easily adapted to 3.5mm and 3.5mm is not durable once the socket is broken the device is done for. With 6.35mm you can change as many adaptors as you want. 4.4mm can be adapted to 3.5mm, 2.5mm and XLR without any issue as 4.4mm also has gnd pin.
Changed gain from +9dB to more usable +6dB according to reviews. (the jump of 9dB is a bit big). This is changed due users feedback. This change is solidified before the L30 gain drama. People here again want higher gain. So A30pro will have 12dB gain. And D30pro will have 5V output.

kkeretic

But then reality is
Added new preamp function, which is superb in performance and can be used as bypass just set volume to max.

But that require constant volume adjustment depending on whether I use headphones or bypass. Also if I understand correctly the device is required to be on for preamp to work? I'm pretty sure it needs power to work while the switch didn't need it. What if I forget volume on max, plugin headphones and turn the music on o_O ? I am sure it would happen eventually ;).

6.35mm can be easily adapted to 3.5mm and 3.5mm is not durable once the socket is broken the device is done for. With 6.35mm you can change as many adaptors as you want.

My point was to have two unbalanced outputs for parallel use, I like and use that feature a lot. Ask my wife why this feature is useful ;).

Changed gain from +9dB to more usable +6dB according to reviews. (the jump of 9dB is a bit big). This is changed due users feedback. This change is solidified before the L30 gain drama. People here again want higher gain. So A30pro will have 12dB gain. And D30pro will have 5V output.

As I mentioned somewhere before, D50->D50s was really about features upgrade, but I see the A50s as a completely new and somewhat different device. You should have called him A55 or something like that ;). To return to the subject, I would rather see all these devices to have classic displays like tons of AV devices since always + dimming feature.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But that require constant volume adjustment depending on whether I use headphones or bypass. Also if I understand correctly the device is required to be on for preamp to work? I'm pretty sure it needs power to work while the switch didn't need it. What if I forget volume on max, plugin headphones and turn the music on o_O ? I am sure it would happen eventually ;).

My point was to have two unbalanced outputs for parallel use, I like and use that feature a lot. Ask my wife why this feature is useful ;).

As I mentioned somewhere before, D50->D50s was really about features upgrade, but I see the A50s as a completely new and somewhat different device. You should have called him A55 or something like that ;). To return to the subject, I would rather see all these devices to have classic displays like tons of AV devices since always + dimming feature.
You either have preamp or bypass. For people who needs preamp, having bypass means completely unusable. If you have preamp, for people who needs bypass just turn up the volume, little inconvenience or get the old A50 or A30pro(also has bypass only).(soon)

For two unbalanced output. Seriously? You can get a splitter for 2 dollars.

There are brightness control on all current devices. And D50/s has auto off.

All in all, it's impossible to consider every single individual's use case. But in the general sense it's better for majority of people. And that's A50s for you, for no feature set upgrade it's called V2. For more dramatic change it's called pro version. The A50s sits nicely in its place with its naming.

Toku

Major Contributor
When I kept in direct contact with Topping in April of this year due to a playback problem with DSD 2.8 on the E30, I proposed to introduce the automatic ON / OFF function of the D50 / D50s display to other models as well. At that time, they said they would consider introducing it at the opportunity of future model changes.

Nemo

Forum Donor
OLED is used becouse TFT looks like shit. We are trying to use VA panel next year. Firmware is only for XMOS now. But we are doing microcontroller upgrade and CPLD upgrade for future products. It's not trivial stuff.

This is not specific to D90 or even Topping, but I would like to hear from @JohnYang1997 and others that have technical or insider knowledge why we do not see E-Ink screens: I understand that their response time is (very) slow, but that it is not a significant constrain for a DAC, and they consume basically no energy, and last forever... Before Covid I used to travel internationally about 30% of time and absolutely loved using a Kindle. An eye problem has made impossible for me to read in printed media, so screens are my only option now, and I am a firm supporter of E-Ink displays for reading.

I would be curious to hear other opinions...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is not specific to D90 or even Topping, but I would like to hear from @JohnYang1997 and others that have technical or insider knowledge why we do not see E-Ink screens: I understand that their response time is (very) slow, but that it is not a significant constrain for a DAC, and they consume basically no energy, and last forever... Before Covid I used to travel internationally about 30% of time and absolutely loved using a Kindle. An eye problem has made impossible for me to read in printed media, so screens are my only option now, and I am a firm supporter of E-Ink displays for reading.

I would be curious to hear other opinions...
Simply, it's not usable.

LostArk

Forgive me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it by googling: is the D90 differentially balanced (outputting inverted polarity) or not? I know "fully balanced" doesn't necessarily mean differentially balanced. Thanks!

Reactions: 777

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Forgive me if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it by googling: is the D90 differentially balanced (outputting inverted polarity) or not? I know "fully balanced" doesn't necessarily mean differentially balanced. Thanks!
Yes.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sure is.

Nicolaas

So, it appears that there is a high likelyhood that these displays will experience burn in. On the display of the D50s there is an option to put the display to sleep when it's not needed. I wonder if this is something that Topping can change with a firmware update...

I'm curious why Topping would choose to put OLED displays into these DACs and then not take reasonable precautions to protect them.
I am using the D90 DAC since January for about 8 hours per day and I do not see any signs of burn in at all. Besides I have a 10 years old Panasonic plasma TV and logos have been burnt in in the upper left and right corners. However this is hardly visible with moving content. So my new TV will definitely be a 4K OLED TV without any concerns...I do not understand why the majority of the people are still buying LCD/LED panels with terrible viewing angles. Off topic, sorry!

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
I am using the D90 DAC since January for about 8 hours per day and I do not see any signs of burn in at all. Besides I have a 10 years old Panasonic plasma TV and logos have been burnt in in the upper left and right corners. However this is hardly visible with moving content. So my new TV will definitely be a 4K OLED TV without any concerns...I do not understand why the majority of the people are still buying LCD/LED panels with terrible viewing angles. Off topic, sorry!

I agree with you about OLED TVs, I have an LG OLED myself, and I don't sweat burn in too much. But I do take reasonable precautions.
But the displays on these DACs are anything but moving, the content is the very definition of static. These displays will absolutely burn in, and I'm amazed you haven't seen any burn in yet. At lease that gives me reason to be a little less concerned.

Top Bottom