• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

eduardw

Forum Donor
I first noticed it at around 2 months but it’s getting progressively worse. It’s 16 months old now.

Martin
Martin small question do you have de dac always turned on. Mine d90 will turn of when not used so for some hours a day it is off.

win

I want to disassemble it and tap into the ribbon for the oled screen and do some custom messages with a raspberry pi. A 24hr clock would be sweet.

Jmsent

Does the D90 remember your brightness setting and other mode settings when the power is removed?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My DAC is on 24x7.

Martin
Hi Martin,

I used to keep (and still am) my old Wadia dac 24x7 since 25years+
It's simple, it has no on/off buttom on the front, just a switch in the back, not really intended to be shut off.

But, with all what I read here at ASR, what justifies you to keep your today's well measuring dac keep it on all the time ?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Martin,

I used to keep (and still am) my old Wadia dac 24x7 since 25years+
It's simple, it has no on/off buttom on the front, just a switch in the back, not really intended to be shut off.

But, with all what I read here at ASR, what justifies you to keep your today's well measuring dac keep it on all the time ?

It’s the “sound card” on my Intel NUC. My PC runs 24x7 and I don’t want to (and shouldn’t have to) futz with turning the DAC on and off dozens of times a day.

Martin

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s the “sound card” on my Intel NUC. My PC runs 24x7 and I don’t want to (and shouldn’t have to) futz with turning the DAC on and off dozens of times a day.

Martin
Completely agree but, to be fair, Topping did take this on board when they designed the D50s.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it the default setting or buried somewhere?
It wasn't the default setting, which I agree it should be. However it was easy to find in the manual.

nj75f

A beginner-question :p
Wanted to use a cable xlr-in and xlr-out (headphone); so balanced in and balanced out.
Manual say signal-to-noise is some dB lower for cinch/rca in and balanced-out.

I suppose it is no biggie? Rather have 4 V input and balanced output (no grounding issues?) than limited to 2 V?

Veri

Master Contributor
I suppose it is no biggie? Rather have 4 V input and balanced output (no grounding issues?) than limited to 2 V?
Yeah it's just theoretical lowest noise. In practice, ground loop immunity is quite nice to be protected from possible nasty problems :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A beginner-question :p
Wanted to use a cable xlr-in and xlr-out (headphone); so balanced in and balanced out.
Manual say signal-to-noise is some dB lower for cinch/rca in and balanced-out.

Just a small word of warning- if you have easy to drive, sensitive headphones - 4v or more XLR in can mean you dont get much range on the volume dial on the amp before it gets too loud- depending on which amp, gain settings and headphones of course. But you can always lower the DAC volume if you find you need balanced connections.

terasankka

I have a Musical Fidelity M6si that has 220wpc running into high sensitivity Klipsch Heresy IV (99dB) speakers. I am planning on getting the D90 MQA. If I connect it via the XLR, will I have the issue mentioned above? "you dont get much range on the volume dial on the amp before it gets too loud"

Also and other question. Can I turn off the display totally with D90?

Top Bottom