• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you need a knob (and don't we all?), I am very impressed with the Soncoz DAC I have here at the moment.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, does anyone know if there is any physical difference between the D90 MQA and non-MQA versions? I am guessing the extra $100 is to cover the MQA license and that the units are otherwise identical? i.e. maybe you could flash the MQA version firmware on a non-MQA unit and save yourself a few quid? Might that work?

Different XMOS chip processor thingy - not software but hardware. No MQA without the hardware.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I can forget that idea then!
Yeah, think others had that plan- not sure anyone went as far as trying to flash. Suspect it wouldnt end well.

dixter

perhaps it might be a good time to describe the analog potentiometer... The analog potentiometer is nothing more than a precision variable resistor... for two channel pots the pot has a variable resistor for the left side and a variable resistor for the right side... the resistance is varied by the volume knob which is connected to the " wipers " .... the wipers move across a resistive material that changes the resistance from a small amount of resistance to a larger amount of resistance... thus changing the volume ... there are cons to using an analog potentiometer for volume changes... a few are 1) a mismatch from left/right can be heard at low volumes (sometimes) 2) the wiper to resistive material is mechanical and can start to wear down the resistive material making the volume control non linear 3) as the resistive material wears down it creates resistive dust and can cause signal volume changes that sound like scratching while operating the volume knob... you get the jest...
so when DACs got invented one of the solutions was to allow volume variation to be selectable via the DAC chip output stage.. "digital volume"... and of course there were going to be engineers that instead decided in their designs to incorporate resistive pads or precision resistors... and also managed volume chips... there are many different ways to manage volume with and without analog pots .... or a combination of the two... the D90 and A90 stack allows the end user a couple of options to volume control.... you want to use a remote with that stack then you put the A90 at full volume and use the D90 remote, thus eliminating the A90 pot... if you don't like having your amp running full volume then you put the D90 in DAC mode (fixed volume) and use the analog pot on the A90....(no remote control) Topping is also going to be giving other solutions or options as they plan on releasing the Pre90 and it too will offer a different volume control option..

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks - newbie here.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS - the original one with the AK4490 dac. I like the fact that it has selectable attenuation levels to keep the output voltage down whilst maintaining the full output (and resulting SNR of the dac). Benchmark have for a long time been doing similar with their attenuation "pads" on their DAC1-HDR, for example.

My question is whether I will miss this, if I get a Topping D90 instead? My amps are very powerful - 1000W into 4 Ohms - and only need 2.95v for full rated output, so I will have to have the volume way down. Is this going to result in vastly reduced SNR and dynamic range, and possible audible noise?

I am puzzled why these Chinese manufacturers like to make DACs pumping out 5, 6, 7V on their XLR outputs, when much lower voltage is needed by typical domestic amps which they will usually be driving?

Or since the AK4499 is a 32 bit DAC, does none of this matter? Would pairing the D90 up with an A90 help me at all?

Thanks
The Gustard A-22 has an XLR output of 6v and I feel that they made an effort in that sense in the "preamp" section using a separate transformer for the analog outut.. One reason of my preference for it.
At present I use a passive "preamp" that I made with a selector of a bunch of resistors a kit I bought from Audiosynthesis a while ago. It's clean as nothing else than a resistor, but it lacks the punch/kick compared to an active preamp. So I do wonder how a D90 analog's output kicks the power amps and mid sensitive speakers.

Chippyboy

Forgive me, this has probably been answered but there are 93 pages to go through ;-)

Can I safely assume I can use the XLR outputs to drive my Genelecs and phonos to drive a sub? i.e. I assume both outputs are live at the same time?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Forgive me, this has probably been answered but there are 93 pages to go through ;-)

Can I safely assume I can use the XLR outputs to drive my Genelecs and phonos to drive a sub? i.e. I assume both outputs are live at the same time?

Yes. On the remote (and in the menu) you can choose for: XLR out, RCA out or both. Also the output is shown on the display.

Last edited:

mcdonalk

I have owned and have been using a D90 since February; I bought it based on the positive review and the subsequent testimonials in this thread. Recently, a professional audio designer whom I trust, recommended an Exasound E32 MKII. In spite of the review in another thread here, I decided to put the recommendation to the test. I would not have done this if Exasound did not offer a 30-day return policy.
My comparison of the D90 and E32 benefited from matched audio levels using test tones and instrumentation. However, since I have no help at home in the current contagion, I had no needed assistance with ABX testing. Therefore, I shall not post the results of my evaluation. What would be the point?

Cut-Throat

I have owned and have been using a D90 since February; I bought it based on the positive review and the subsequent testimonials in this thread. Recently, a professional audio designer whom I trust, recommended an Exasound E32 MKII. In spite of the review in another thread here, I decided to put the recommendation to the test. I would not have done this if Exasound did not offer a 30-day return policy.
My comparison of the D90 and E32 benefited from matched audio levels using test tones and instrumentation. However, since I have no help at home in the current contagion, I had no needed assistance with ABX testing. Therefore, I shall not post the results of my evaluation. What would be the point?
I'm trying to figure out the point of this post?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

From a scientific perspective, little to no point. But as a matter of interest, I dont think youd be breaking any laws punishable by more than a couple of years hard labour as Amir's 3rd gardener.

And it would be no less relevant than 90% of this thread.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

I’d be interested in reading your subjective impressions. Did you post in another forum?

Specs are quite impressive so is the price...

dixter

pointless...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
However, since I have no help at home in the current contagion, I had no needed assistance with ABX testing. Therefore, I shall not post the results of my evaluation. What would be the point?

Quite right...

If it were me, and I found results that would seem to be 'newsworthy,' I'd find a volunteer for the required assistance, and repeat the test, with a lot of documentation, then depending on THOSE results, I would go from there.

Nybto

Forum Donor
I would be quite happy with a statement of why you consider yourself to be totally impartial as to the outcome, by which we could decide on the degree of belief that we put in the conclusion. After all, if you did everything tha BDW asks, and delivered the result there would still be half a dozen folk scrambling to find fault in the method. Go ahead, I, personally am already impressed by the efforts to volume match..

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before anybody chimes in, I fully appreciate that having relays doing a lot of switching can assist in keeping whatever ‘damage’ a digital volume control might be doing, to an absolute minimum but if you are faced with a situation in which a power amp is clearly being fed with about 20dB too much wallop when the digital volume control is at a sensible position, then the obvious answer is to use an inline attenuator of -10dB to -20dB!

I tried two different 10db inline attenuators between the preamp and amp in my setup and both introduced clearly audible and very bizarre noise artifacts into my system. These are the attenuators that each lasted less than 20 seconds in my setup:

https://www.parts-express.com/in-line-xlr-attenuator-pad-10db--240-412
and
https://m.markertek.com/product/ses-il-10db/sescom-ses-il-10db-3-pin-xlr-male-to-3-pin-xlr-female-inline-attenuator-10db

I replaced them with a relay based attenuator that works perfectly: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997802910.html

Martin

Pluto

Forum Donor
And what do you believe, at a fundamental physical level, to be the difference between resistors in an XLR-shaped can and resistors in a very nicely-made box with XLR sockets on the back and a knob on the front?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And what do you believe, at a fundamental physical level, to be the difference between resistors in an XLR-shaped can and resistors in a very nicely-made box with XLR sockets on the back and a knob on the front?

I don't know why they did not work. I am simply reporting my experience.

Martin

Pluto

Forum Donor
Dare I suggest that this is precisely the kind of claim that this site could (and should) be investigating?

Does finding an answer to this question not pique your interest?

Top Bottom