• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Not all dacs work with streamers, hence the question.

For USB:
The D90 is compatible with the USB 2 audio interface. This is the common interface on all streamers based on Android and on most other type streamers (Also on most other Operating systems like MacOS and Windows 10). Since Android is based on Linux it should work. I don't have your particular streamer, but in my case it works via USB on:
- Nvidia Shield TV (Android streamer)
- A mini pc with 'Elementary OS' (a Linux based distro).
- Raspberry PI with Volumio. (Volumio is also Linux based).

I did a quick search on Allo. I see it runs on a RPI. If the software is Linux based I don't see any reasons it shouldn't work.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it works with this it will work with the Allo. Thanks! I had a Motu dac that was USB 2.0 compliant and it wouldn't work so I ask now to be sure.

Cut-Throat

If it works with this it will work with the Allo. Thanks! I had a Motu dac that was USB 2.0 compliant and it wouldn't work so I ask now to be sure.
Of course it works with Allo! I'm using one! Also, I doubt that you could find any streamer that would not work with this DAC. CD Players were not running on Linux, and if they had digital outputs they would work with any DAC that I've heard of.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone has a D90 for sale please let me know. Oh, and it works well with a streamer such as the Allo?

Well, let's say any Streamer that I would be interested in will have Digital Outputs. In fact I am not aware of a streamer that does not have a Digital Output.
Not all dacs work with streamers, hence the question.
Yes, Pardon me I am completely missing your point. I am not aware of any Streamer that has a Digital Output that a DAC could Not handle. Can you link to one, so I know what you're talking about.
Of course it works with Allo! I'm using one!

This is what I clearly asked yesterday...

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, and I said ANY Streamer will work that has Digital Outputs! ('ANY' - would include an Allo).
:facepalm: I think just saying you use the Allo successfully would've been more accurate based on my concern.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a DAC ..... Again, we asked for a Streamer with a Digitial output that won't work with the D90 Dac. I don't know of any.
How is it not a dac? :facepalm:

I never asked about a streamer...I asked specifically if the D90 would work with a Streamer such as the Allo. :rolleyes:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
How is it not a dac? :facepalm:

I never asked about a streamer...I asked specifically if the D90 would work with a Streamer such as the Allo. :rolleyes:
The Allo he mentioned is not USB it is spdif. Are there many DACs out there that do not work with Spdif? What streamer are you using? You are talking about a multi channel pro piece of equipment, not really consumer two channel?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Allo he mentioned is not USB it is spdif. Are there many DACs out there that do not work with Spdif? What streamer are you using?
I own an Allo...it has USB output and again, I NEVER asked specifically about the Allo. This is crazy.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I own an Allo...it has USB output and again, I NEVER asked specifically about the Allo. This is crazy.
You have a USB bridge different item. Nothing crazy just trying to help you out don’t want you to be too lost. ;). The D90 is a decent dac. If you don’t find a used one, they’re still available brand new. :)

Chippyboy

Hello folks - newbie here.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS - the original one with the AK4490 dac. I like the fact that it has selectable attenuation levels to keep the output voltage down whilst maintaining the full output (and resulting SNR of the dac). Benchmark have for a long time been doing similar with their attenuation "pads" on their DAC1-HDR, for example.

My question is whether I will miss this, if I get a Topping D90 instead? My amps are very powerful - 1000W into 4 Ohms - and only need 2.95v for full rated output, so I will have to have the volume way down. Is this going to result in vastly reduced SNR and dynamic range, and possible audible noise?

I am puzzled why these Chinese manufacturers like to make DACs pumping out 5, 6, 7V on their XLR outputs, when much lower voltage is needed by typical domestic amps which they will usually be driving?

Or since the AK4499 is a 32 bit DAC, does none of this matter? Would pairing the D90 up with an A90 help me at all?

Thanks

Chippyboy

For USB:
The D90 is compatible with the USB 2 audio interface. This is the common interface on all streamers based on Android and on most other type streamers (Also on most other Operating systems like MacOS and Windows 10). Since Android is based on Linux it should work. I don't have your particular streamer, but in my case it works via USB on:
- Nvidia Shield TV (Android streamer)
- A mini pc with 'Elementary OS' (a Linux based distro).

I did a quick search on Allo. I see it runs on a RPI. If the software is Linux based I don't see any reasons it shouldn't work.

Quick question if you don't mind: I don't suppose you have tried to get MQA working using the Shield TV have you? I use a Shield TV and Tidal as my music source (driving my RME ADI-2 DAC) and with the Shield set to High Quality Audio output it is outputting bit-perfect at 24/192 - the DAC confirms it. But not at 16/44.1 or 24/96 for example. Only 24/192.

The Tidal implementation on the Shield would seem to support MQA - it enables you to select Master as the output format and plays Master encoded content just fine. So I am wondering if an MQA-enabled DAC will pick up the MQA content and do the final unfold? I'd like to try an MQA DAC, but no point in paying extra for something that will not work.

Thanks

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Quick question if you don't mind: I don't suppose you have tried to get MQA working using the Shield TV have you? I use a Shield TV and Tidal as my music source (driving my RME ADI-2 DAC) and with the Shield set to High Quality Audio output it is outputting bit-perfect at 24/192 - the DAC confirms it. But not at 16/44.1 or 24/96 for example. Only 24/192.

The Tidal implementation on the Shield would seem to support MQA - it enables you to select Master as the output format and plays Master encoded content just fine. So I am wondering if an MQA-enabled DAC will pick up the MQA content and do the final unfold? I'd like to try an MQA DAC, but no point in paying extra for something that will not work.

Thanks
Sorry, I have the D90, but not the MQA version, so I can't answer that.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am puzzled why these Chinese manufacturers like to make DACs pumping out 5, 6, 7V on their XLR outputs
There is an acknowledged operating level for the XLR interface which has been a professional standard for decades. This traditionally corresponds to around +4dBm for 0VU i.e. -20dBFS digital. If recordings were issued at the correct level i.e. around 0VU with an allowance for headroom and emergencies, you would not have this problem. If recordings are issued close to 0dBFS digital, they will probably be too loud. This is due to the loudness war, not the makers of hardware who, particularly with XLR balanced outputs, generally adhere to the specification.

Get yourself some 15dB XLR attenuators and all will be well.

Chippyboy

There is an acknowledged operating level for the XLR interface which has been a professional standard for decades. This traditionally corresponds to around +4dBm for 0VU i.e. -20dBFS digital. If recordings were issued at the correct level i.e. around 0VU with an allowance for headroom and emergencies, you would not have this problem. If recordings are issued close to 0dBFS digital, they will probably be too loud. This is due to the loudness war, not the makers of hardware who, particularly with XLR balanced outputs, generally adhere to the specification.

Get yourself some 15dB XLR attenuators and all will be well.
Thanks.

I've heard bad things about attenuators making the sound seem dull or "strangled" or damaging the frequency response.

Is that all nonsense from the snake oil peddlers?

Top Bottom