• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 and RME ADI-2 FS

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think some features, like for instance balanced headphone output and streaming, are unlikely in future RME products. Simply because their main focus is still pro gear, plus they are a very science-based company and they seem to ignore all audiophile "fads" with no real documented benefits, such as balanced headphones. A 10-band EQ would be nice though.

That does not make sense, so they designed something just for super sensitive iem, but wouldn't do high powered balanced output for something super hard to drive full size headphone?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That does not make sense, so they designed something just for super sensitive iem, but wouldn't do high powered balanced output for something super hard to drive full size headphone?

Balanced is one of those audiophile fads and for the most part worrying about "moar power" is too.

While it would be nice to be completely future proof, there are only a handfull of headphones can actually use more power than the ADI-2's 1/4" TRS can provide (1W @ 33 ohms) so it is understandable why they would not want to bother with a pro focused device where no one is using niche planars.

The DAC version (i.e. non-Pro) actually has a completely separate low gain/low noise 3.5mm output for super sensitive IEMs.

ReaderZ

Balanced is one of those audiophile fads and for the most part worrying about "moar power" is too.

While it would be nice to be completely future proof, there are only a handfull of headphones can actually use more power than the ADI-2's 1/4" TRS can provide (1W @ 33 ohms) so it is understandable why they would not want to bother with a pro focused device where no one is using niche planars.

The DAC version (i.e. non-Pro) actually has a completely separate low gain/low noise 3.5mm output for super sensitive IEMs.

That's my point, there are likely not many IEM need that 3.5 either and would do fine with with the 1/4, but they still made the decision to add the 3.5

ReaderZ

BTW the more power is NOT a FAD, I found headphone amp I bought back in mid 00s had way more power in general compare to today's offering, I was listening to some of them on step 1 of 24 steps with 650s.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my point, there are likely not many IEM need that 3.5 either and would do fine with with the 1/4, but they still made the decision to add the 3.5

Just to pick some efficiency numbers out of the air, there are a lot more >110dB/mW IEMs than there are <85db/mW planars. (Or the ocassional extra inefficient dynamic like some vintage AKGs...)

ReaderZ

Just to pick some efficiency numbers out of the air, there are a lot more >110dB/mW IEMs than there are <85db/mW planars. (Or the ocassional extra inefficient dynamic like some vintage AKGs...)

True but doesn't mean these >110db/mw IEM do not work with just about anything from ipad's 3.5mm and up. While the hard to driver headphone can only be used with high power headphone amp and nothing else.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but doesn't mean these >110db/mw IEM do not work with just about anything from ipad's 3.5mm and up. While the hard to driver headphone can only be used with high power headphone amp and nothing else.

Neither of those statements are true.

Super sensitive IEMs are unusable on many devices because of excessive noise floor, poor tracking on volume pots, or excessively coarse steps in digital volume control.

Inefficient headphones are still usable to some extent on lower power devices with only the sacrifice of maximum volume.

You can easily make the argument that that the 1/4" jack on the ADI-2 DAC is good enough for IEMs and that the separate 1/8" isn't strictly necessary. I'd agree with you on that. It's just a nice bonus.

Comparing it to the Pro you can see why they made that decision. In stripping down the "Pro" which already had two 1/4" outputs to make the cheaper consumer market "DAC" it's easier to lower the gain on one, and make it a 1/8" IEM output instead than design a new balanced amp circuit from scratch. It's cheaper and benefits a much wider range of headphones even if that benefit isn't as large.

Besides you can always run it into another amp if you need to. I use the line outs on mine to my Stax electrostatic amps half the time anyway.

ReaderZ

Neither of those statements are true.

Super sensitive IEMs are unusable on many devices because of excessive noise floor, poor tracking on volume pots, or excessively coarse steps in digital volume control.

Inefficient headphones are still usable to some extent on lower power devices with only the sacrifice of maximum volume.

You can easily make the argument that that the 1/4" jack on the ADI-2 DAC is good enough for IEMs and that the separate 1/8" isn't strictly necessary. I'd agree with you on that. It's just a nice bonus.

Comparing it to the Pro you can see why they made that decision. In stripping down the "Pro" which already had two 1/4" outputs to make the cheaper consumer market "DAC" it's easier to lower the gain on one, and make it a 1/8" IEM output instead than design a new balanced amp circuit from scratch. It's cheaper and benefits a much wider range of headphones even if that benefit isn't as large.

Besides you can always run it into another amp if you need to. I use the line outs on mine to my Stax electrostatic amps half the time anyway.

If you agree with that, then you already see my point.

And I always wanted a good Stax system but never the budget...

ShiZo

Forum Donor
It's mostly a dac. The amp sections are just a bonus. They are just as competent as well.

jlm70

When was the RME ADI-2 FS released? (the original 4490 and current 4493 versions)
Just to estimate if to wait a couple of months for the next release, or go and buy it...

Honestly I was to buy a D90, but then I saw the awesome reviews of this ADI-2, where I appreciate A LOT the build quality and parameters personalisation, as well as the monitor (love it). And as I prefer a warmer sound, probably the ADI-2 is a bit closer to my prefs than the D90.
Currently I use an "heavily modified" Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 headphone amp (with custom PSU, Voskhod 6H23P tubes, upgraded Panasonic/Muse/Silmic caps, ultrafast diodes and Ohmite resistance) and... curious to hear the differences with the RME "included" amp.

Many thanks!

OP
A

AudioStudies

When was the RME ADI-2 FS released? (the original 4490 and current 4493 versions)
I am not sure of the exact release dates, but typically the vendor can tell you which chip and what version or sub-version.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to estimate if to wait a couple of months for the next release, or go and buy it...
Many thanks!

Good question. I googled it and found that the v1 was announced on 01-2018 and v2 on 11-2019, so roughly 2 year cycle would result in a v3 by the end of 2021? Although no new AKM chip has been announced yet to replace the current 4493 on the v2 as was the case with the 4490 of the v1.

jlm70

Yes, the v1 was announced end 2017 for availability in early 2018.
The v2 is not a real major release, but an incremental one.
So... wouldn't be bad to have another incremental release by 2020 year end. Or a real ADI-3, 3 yrs later than the ADI-2 announcement.

In terms of marketing - not of real value - I believe an "old" AKM chip such as the 4493 would sound a bit detrimental to such an excellent DAC, given many less famous and prestigious companies are now sporting the 4499 for less than 500$ and even in dual fashion (eg. Gustard A-22) for a price that is similar to the ADI-2.

Obviously I'd like much more the customisable approach, all-rounder quality approach and the display of the RME... more than a D90 or A22. So... I'll wait just a bit. Maybe. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the RME ADI-2 DAC "Max" for me:
- Double the size.
- Dual AKM 4499, one per channel.
- XLR, 6.3mm and 3.5mm headphone outs.
- USB, RCA coax, AES-EBU and Toslink digital inputs.
- Bluetooth input.
- 2 pairs of XLRs and 2 pairs of RCA outs.
- More DSP power, enough for 20 band PEQ.
- Same display, buttons, remote, etc.

Retail price: 2,000 usd/euros.

Let's do a crowdfunding campaign to convince RME to build it? :D

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the RME ADI-2 DAC "Max" for me:
- Double the size.
- Dual AKM 4499, one per channel.
- XLR, 6.3mm and 3.5mm headphone outs.
- USB, RCA coax, AES-EBU and Toslink digital inputs.
- Bluetooth input.
- 2 pairs of XLRs and 2 pairs of RCA outs.
- More DSP power, enough for 20 band PEQ.
- Same display, buttons, remote, etc.

Retail price: 2,000 usd/euros.

Let's do a crowdfunding campaign to convince RME to build it? :D
LOL double the size = double the awesomeness?

jlm70

I looked at RME website, at their forum, at their care for firmware upgrades... Sure something well superior to the other cited brands.
Even the care for the design/enclosure, the illuminated keys, everything let you think of a more precious unit than Gustard, Topping and the like.

Just a crazy idea: given the filter personalisation features, might it be possible to add to a specific song (eg. DSD version of Brubeck’s Take Five) a specific listening set of filters/eq? A metatag written from instance within Audirvana on Mac and than passed to the ADI-2 for specific, track-only setup. Probably it would only be a firmware update, to detect these tags before playing the track and act accordingly, then restore the previous setup at the end.
In this way you might even setup a playlist of a same song excerpt (15 seconds), but to be played with different filters, so to quickly do a sort of A-B testing to your specific pleasure...

*UPDATE* for A-B test I've seen there're different profile to be memorised and recalled with a key. So... the use case only addresses the possibility to customise specific tracks to our "filter like". Just in case.

Last edited:

ezra_s

Forum Donor

Honestly I was to buy a D90, but then I saw the awesome reviews of this ADI-2, where I appreciate A LOT the build quality and parameters personalisation, as well as the monitor (love it). And as I prefer a warmer sound, probably the ADI-2 is a bit closer to my prefs than the D90.
Currently I use an "heavily modified" Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 headphone amp (with custom PSU, Voskhod 6H23P tubes, upgraded Panasonic/Muse/Silmic caps, ultrafast diodes and Ohmite resistance) and... curious to hear the differences with the RME "included" amp.

Many thanks!

Feature wise I think most here will agree nothing can beat the RME at its price.

I have it, didn't want to spent that much (1000 euros), after using it and keep discovering things and awesome features like the dual or single parametric EQ, loudness, using it as a pre-amp (or not), the awesome manual, etc... it is now probably the device I have enjoyed the most in my "hi-fi ride".

Just do it!

jlm70

Perfectly understand. From my "engineer perspective", and after having played with the solder so much (for my X-Can v3), I do not know if I will resist some months for the "next ADI-2", or buy the v2 immediately. Already seen all of the RME videos online, official and unofficial...
For sure RME has won a new client...

richpjr

Perfectly understand. From my "engineer perspective", and after having played with the solder so much (for my X-Can v3), I do not know if I will resist some months for the "next ADI-2", or buy the v2 immediately. Already seen all of the RME videos online, official and unofficial...
For sure RME has won a new client...

I don't recall RME ever mentioning a new version will be available in the next few months. If they had, it might be worth holding off, but you can play the waiting game forever for the next generation of unannounced products.

jlm70

I don't recall RME ever mentioning a new version will be available in the next few months. If they had, it might be worth holding off, but you can play the waiting game forever for the next generation of unannounced products.
Hihi... absolutely correct. An old story that I try to leverage against an impulsive buy :)))
Yet the ADI-2 PRO was announced in March 2017 and the non-Pro at the end of 2017 (3 yrs ago, with a minor update 1yr ago) and, while still an absolutely impressive device, it’s possible at NAMM 2021 (starting Jan 18) RME will announce something new - it’s an event where normally RME presents something new.
And it’s perfectly normal they do not announce anything in advance, to avoid slowing down the sales of the actual line.

Top Bottom