• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 and RME ADI-2 FS

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very Cool. Why isn't that a major feature for most buyers of better DACs? 99% of expensive equipment is in less than perfect rooms. Most people over age 40 have some high frequency hearing loss. Seems to me that EQing in digital should be a standard feature.

I seem to be talking myself into spending $1200
I've had an ADI-2 DAC for a while and did not initially have a great experience (apparently I'm virtually alone in having gotten one with a defective opamp, since replaced).

But I just started messing with the EQ feature, using filters for my headphones posted in the AutoEQ database, and my goodness if that doesn't effect a huge improvement in the sound of most 'phones.
RME does things so exceptionally well that it is hard to find fault. The only thing I would have like to have seen would be XLR balanced on the units designed for home use.
Which RME units lack balanced output?

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which RME units lack balanced output?
I don't have the model numbers on the tip of my tongue at the moment, and one has to be careful because their model numbers are quite similar and it can get confusing. But the one I bought, does not have XLR.

dmilller

I don't have the model numbers on the tip of my tongue at the moment, and one has to be careful because their model numbers are quite similar and it can get confusing. But the one I bought, does not have XLR.

Do they have a home focused unit other than ADI 2 DAC FS?

Takanaka

Forum Donor
I had both DAC’s, they both sounded extremely transparant and neutral, the only department there were somewhat tangible differences was with the A90 vs the amp section of the ADI-2 Pro FS R (balanced) but I’m really splitting hairs here.

The RME unit really disillusioned my view on audiophile non-sense, I just stopped worrying and just enjoy the unit for what is it.

Now for my headphones and monitors...

OP
A

AudioStudies

Apologies everyone, the RME does have XLR (balanced) analog outputs --- I did not word things very well, and what I meant to say is that the RME does not have an XLR digital input. Sorry for the confusion. The Topping D90 does have an XLR digital input - which is useful for me feeding a digital signal from my Cambridge 851 N.

KSTR

Major Contributor
You can use the RCA Coaxial Digital Input with a simple XLR-->RCA adapter / cable. While this is not completely according to spec (impedance and level mismatch) it usually works just fine. Only make sure pins 1 and 3 are connected.

Bernard23

I'd really like to try one out as a dedicated headphone amp, as it measures extremely well, but the absence of WASAPI drivers and resulting incompatibility with Tidal is an issue for me. even if processing through the kernel mixer is sonically not the audiophile catastrophe it's made out to be, but I don't want system sounds chiming through my ears every five minutes, and I'm not interested in an ASIO workaround. I've already tried all of the commercial streaming services, and Tidal is my choice, so that won't change. I guess the only remaining solution is Audirvana or Roon?

Satyadhara

I had both DAC’s, they both sounded extremely transparant and neutral, the only department there were somewhat tangible differences was with the A90 vs the amp section of the ADI-2 Pro FS R (balanced) but I’m really splitting hairs here.

The RME unit really disillusioned my view on audiophile non-sense, I just stopped worrying and just enjoy the unit for what is it.

Now for my headphones and monitors...

What were the differences between the A90 and the ADI-2, if I may ask?
Thanks!

Takanaka

Forum Donor
What were the differences between the A90 and the ADI-2, if I may ask?
Thanks!
Not much, just felt like I could hear ever so slightly deeper into the mix, things like fingers over strings, breathing, echo and decay were all very slightly more present. Gave me a better understanding of the room it’s been recorded in and the positioning of the band.

But it very well may have been placebo, it’s just something I seemed to notice every now and then.

morespinach

Hihi... absolutely correct. An old story that I try to leverage against an impulsive buy :)))
Yet the ADI-2 PRO was announced in March 2017 and the non-Pro at the end of 2017 (3 yrs ago, with a minor update 1yr ago) and, while still an absolutely impressive device, it’s possible at NAMM 2021 (starting Jan 18) RME will announce something new - it’s an event where normally RME presents something new.
And it’s perfectly normal they do not announce anything in advance, to avoid slowing down the sales of the actual line.

Did something come in Jan? Can’t find it.

marble

Hi !
all in all, which one (D90 or RME ADI-2 DAC FS) would be the better option as a preamp for demanding power amplifier options ?
I know many experienced very very good results with RME... to not say the least.

Top Bottom