• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

thdny

Sorry I ended up in this forum after a google search so I wasn't aware that this was d30 only. I don't have d30 and regarding my previous post, the synchronous mode is only available in DX7 Pro+, not on E70. (I will try to edit my previous post if I can. But yes with DX7 I have no problems but I wonder what I am losing by enabling the synchronous mode.

Phippers

Therefore, it may not be possible to connect some S/PDIF signals (OPT/COAX) of old or cheap products.

I posted here a few weeks ago when I was considering a D30Pro, to use with a CD transport SPDIF. Based on advice here, (thank you all) I decided against the D30Pro for that use case, but bought one for the system in my office, which is USB only.

So out of interest I tested the D30Pro with my Cambridge CXC CD transport - and I can report that they are NOT compatible. Repeatable tests, "dropouts" at the same points in the music.

Same issue on Coax and optical.

Now, I don't know if folks here would consider the Cambridge CXC as "old or cheap" - but I would suggest that the issue is not only with "old or cheap" sources.

Reactions: MCH

thdny

Is there a forum that is solely on this compatibility topic? I am looking for a DAC with ESS chipset that works fine with LG tvs.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am looking for a DAC with ESS chipset that works fine with LG tvs.
A simple SU-6 has configurable DPLL locking strength which should serve your purpose when set to >=7 setting (= lower locking strength).

roundsound

I recently purchased a Topping D10 Balanced DAC to be used with an A30Pro. Unfortunately I experienced glitches/pops in the sound. I then purchased a D30Pro which unfortunately has the same issue. I would prefer to keep the D30Pro if I can get this issue solved. I never had this issue with my ODAC connected to the same Windows laptop.
  • The DAC is connected to the amplifier with Balanced cables.
  • I have tried using both grounded and ungrounded power cables.
  • I have installed the v5.50 Topping USB driver
  • I have tried selecting the Always On setting in the Topping USB driver configuration panel
  • I suspect the issue could be related to USB power settings, but unfortunately the Windows power plan is managed by our IT department.
Are there any obvious things I have missed?

usern

I recently purchased a Topping D10 Balanced DAC to be used with an A30Pro. Unfortunately I experienced glitches/pops in the sound. I then purchased a D30Pro which unfortunately has the same issue. I would prefer to keep the D30Pro if I can get this issue solved. I never had this issue with my ODAC connected to the same Windows laptop.
  • I have tried selecting the Always On setting in the Topping USB driver configuration panel
  • I suspect the issue could be related to USB power settings, but unfortunately the Windows power plan is managed by our IT department.
No option for optical cable between DAC and computer?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Unfortunately I experienced glitches/pops in the sound
Under what circumstances do you experience glitches and pops? I’ve got the D30/A30 stack connected to an iPhone via USB without experiencing any problems.

roundsound

My laptop does not have optical out. I could of course acquire a usb to s/pdif box, but that kind of defeats the purpose of owning a USB DAC.
I experience glitches/pops once every few mins while listening to audio from e.g. Tidal or streaming radio.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
My laptop does not have optical out. I could of course acquire a usb to s/pdif box, but that kind of defeats the purpose of owning a USB DAC.
I experience glitches/pops once every few mins while listening to audio from e.g. Tidal or streaming radio.
Does the same thing happen to you when you listen to streaming services with your laptop speakers? I say this to identify the source of the problem, because when I listen to Qobuz on my PC, if I run some CPU intensive process that involves the consumption of 100% of its resources, occasionally small cuts occur, regardless of where I listen to the sound.

usern

Does the same thing happen to you when you listen to streaming services with your laptop speakers? I say this to identify the source of the problem, because when I listen to Qobuz on my PC, if I run some CPU intensive process that involves the consumption of 100% of its resources, occasionally small cuts occur, regardless of where I listen to the sound.
I've had same experience with under powered CPU.
What CPU does your laptop have? How old is it? I would check temperatures and if there is dust in the CPU cooler also.

FireLion

PXL_20230208_230442945.png

Anyone have the same predicament? but opposite :)

Toku

Major Contributor
When asking such a question, we need to report the details of your laptop.
Is the PC you are using owned and managed by the company? If so, some management software may be running in the background.

As a common cause, similar symptoms appear when playing files containing sound effect signals such as Dolby and DTS signals.
Is the music file you are trying to play a pure 2ch file?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Saponetto

The E70 is the nearest DAC assimilable as a successor for the D30Pro.
Ill'be anyway glad to see any update sharing the same form factor of the ancestor.

blanc

D30Pro offers a total of 8 fully balanced channels. Each channel of the D30 is arranged per parallel to 4 conventional symmetrical channels. Can anyone really hear the benefits brought by this architecture? What about the comparison with E50 just from the viewpoint of performance?

Top Bottom