• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
@Veri picked me (the newbie) because I happened to use the infected word "warmth" once, now I'm the bad guy? ;-)

Yes! Lucky you! (I'm sure it's not personal... don't take it that way) The hope is that both you and others can learn from the site, given that it is an Audio Science site. The endless pursuit of the sound described by others, rather than the 'lack' of sound (noise/distortion) predicted through measurements, as a reflection of competent engineering, is one of the ways to keep throwing money away, and what the marketing end of the industry fully counts on.

AB/X it level matched and without peeking, and no matter how many others describe it as warm (or whatever), good luck telling them apart. That goes for most any solid state device, cables, connectors, etc.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri picked me (the newbie) because I happened to use the infected word "warmth" once, now I'm the bad guy? Not fair... ;-)
I don't mean anything bad/picking on you. I'm just not in agreement is all. If everyone starts talking about audiophile subjective terms on here as if they're accepted and true, then this won't be ASR :p

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Veri picked me (the newbie) because I happened to use the infected word "warmth" once, now I'm the bad guy? Not fair... ;-)
Don't despair!

It's a learning curve (sometimes steep) for all of us when we first join. In the end you will find it liberating - I know I did. Much of the science involved isn't that complicated (it's not rocket science!!!) and it's incredibly useful to cut through the audiophile BS.

The best thing of all - it'll save you shed loads of money. Great performing kit at rock bottom prices - no wonder certain sites don't like us!!!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The best thing of all - it'll save you shed loads of money. Great performing kit at rock bottom prices

It certainly has saved me a lot of money, and has given me a peace that comes from jumping off the audiophile crazy train. I don't worry about what I might be missing, because I can actually understand the science of it.

Knowing where to spend money in the quest for improvement is much of the battle. After some time here, my focus went to the speakers and the room. Easy gains to be had there...

HeyFkFace

This is a very interesting hobby, people having super strong opinions and their own personal "truths", personally I try to stay a bit more humble. Sound is very subjective I guess.
No need to guess, sound is all subjective and always will be. This is a reason i ignore everyone's "word" on headphones, sound is subjective and people have different tastes and hear things differently. Issue here is in the audio scene people try and push these opinions of theirs as the gold standard. Always good to disregard the majority and try out everything for yourself if possible. I bought so many headphones people preached as being soulless, lacking in bass, and overall not a good headphones (HD800s as an example) which i always found to be incorrect and complete frivolous.

makatech

Newbie question about the three gain levels (low gain / medium gain / high gain).

Soundwise, does it matter if using high gain (lower volume) or medium gain (slightly higher volume) for my HD 6XX?

Perhaps it depends, I need to trust my ears? ;-)

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Soundwise, does it matter if using high gain (lower volume) or medium gain (slightly higher volume) for my HD 6XX?
You want to be operating the volume control at the higher end of things, so medium gain and higher volume rather than high gain and low volume.

makatech

You want to be operating the volume control at the higher end of things, so medium gain and higher volume rather than high gain and low volume.

Ok, thanks, realizing now even low gain is perfectly fine for my HD 6XX (through 4.4 balanced out), A90 has a lot of capacity. Tidal Hifi and exclusive mode also giving me a slight headroom boost.

Ddd

Should be fine. But be careful with volume. Next amp may not be capable of 4V input or some other so it may clip at some gain some volume.
Just wondering. I may be wrong, but hope you can shine some lights on me XD
Using A90 in High Gain mode limits the Input Sensitivity to 2.9 Vrms.

So if a songs or music or source got a 4 Vrms signal from the D90 DAC,
Does this means the 1.1 Vrms of Music information is lost or clipped compared to when using M Gain which have 8.8 Vrms of input sensitivity to accept the full voltage swing dynamic range of the D90 XLR 4 Vrms output??

My assumption now is that M gain are the best gain currently due to it able to handle the full 4 Vrms from the DAC 4 Vrms XLR output while High gain losing some sound quality information at the amplifier input for higher headphone output power?
To drive power hungry headphone like maybe the Arya but with some information lost due to the excessed 1.1 Vrms from the 2.9 Vrms input sensitivity? *I may be wrong*

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just wondering. I may be wrong, but hope you can shine some lights on me XD
Using A90 in High Gain mode limits the Input Sensitivity to 2.9 Vrms.

So if a songs or music or source got a 4 Vrms signal from the D90 DAC,
Does this means the 1.1 Vrms of Music information is lost or clipped compared to when using M Gain which have 8.8 Vrms of input sensitivity to accept the full voltage swing dynamic range of the D90 XLR 4 Vrms output??

My assumption now is that M gain are the best gain currently due to it able to handle the full 4 Vrms from the DAC 4 Vrms XLR output while High gain losing some sound quality information at the amplifier input for higher headphone output power?
To drive power hungry headphone like maybe the Arya but with some information lost due to the excessed 1.1 Vrms from the 2.9 Vrms input sensitivity? *I may be wrong*
Turn the volume down with high gain to avoid clipping.

Reactions: Ddd

Ddd

Turn the volume down with high gain to avoid clipping.
I see. Tested with 1KHz sine wave it clips at around 1pm or 2pm volume position.

So my I guess now the input sensitivity decreases with the volume increment haha.

Anyhow, just knew is safe to use high gain below the volume should be fine then. Thanks again

Mikechw

I see. Tested with 1KHz sine wave it clips at around 1pm or 2pm volume position.

So my I guess now the input sensitivity decreases with the volume increment haha.

Anyhow, just knew is safe to use high gain below the volume should be fine then. Thanks again

So you mean your input is 1khz 4Vrms signal to A90's XLR. When you turn to around 1pm/2pm position the output from A90's XLR clips ?

Ddd

So you mean your input is 1khz 4Vrms signal to A90's XLR. When you turn to around 1pm/2pm position the output from A90's XLR clips ?
I used a 1KHz 0dB Sine Wave Tone played into D90, and D90 will output constant 4 Vrms into A90. While putting A90 in High Gain mode it will clipped after around 1pm volume knob position, other gain settings no clip.

Mikechw

My D90 is connected to A90 via XLRs...
I have my A90 set to mid gain and my AHB2 set to low gain.
I think I have never set volume to pass 3'oclock.

Ddd

My D90 is connected to A90 via XLRs...
I have my A90 set to mid gain and my AHB2 set to low gain.
I think I have never set volume to pass 3'oclock.
Yeah! I connected via XLR too. Meaning you're using A90 pre amp to your AHB2 right? If so. Just sharing info, set the A90 at mid gain and volume knob position at 2pm is pre out 4Vrms same as D90 XLR output voltage

Top Bottom