• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Wazzupi

I'm deciding between the d90 or rme adi 2 dac I can't decide which to pair with my a90.

Wazzupi

Adi has a lot more functionalities, D90 is easier and for the everyday customer, it also supports MQA if you take the mqa version
I know the thing is I don't know if I'm going to want those functions and it's 450 more plus I don't care for mqa

Tks

Major Contributor
I know the thing is I don't know if I'm going to want those functions and it's 450 more plus I don't care for mqa

If this were the V1, I'd say the performance gap (on paper) would make the base D90 a better buy MAYBE (no one here ever talks at all about how all portions of the ADI 2 are flawless, from the filters, DSP options, nice customization, to the stability, meaning no dropouts or annoying and weird firmware issues). Seeing as how the ADI 2 V2 now exists, with a nicer remote, and great performance. I'd go for that.

Though there is one deciding factor that would sway me to the D90 had it existed when I got my ADI 2 V1. The bluetooth input. I am almost alergic having to turn on my computer to get some music going properly. When I tried bluetooth input at night in my room with all the lights off and headphones on, it was so liberating not having to fiddle anything more than my phone. That was just simply awesome.

I truly hope whatever (if at all) RME is working on next, they use this time to come out heavy swinging and take back the crown definatively (as even the V1, with the 4490 was slapping DACs left and right out of relevance with better chips). I simply can't imagine the sort of performance they're going to squeeze out the 4499 if this is at all on their radar, and the wealth of more DSP that will literally make all DACs look like pre-iPhone mobile phones.

So in conclusion. If you care about not having to worry about issues (and if you have them, easily taken care of), and want to potentially use the device with devices that don't have DSP (which is lunacy, and I simply can't believe smartphones don't get a bit more serious in this respect, or generally other music playing devices). Then go with the ADI 2. You won't go wrong, and I'd bet you won't hear a difference. If you need Bluetooth input (which I know very few people here care very little about for some reason), go for the D90 and know you have an end-game performance DAC that clears 120dB, which is just beyond any hearing thresholds.

shiroang

Yup, the RCA is single-ended - which is why it is provided for compatibility with pre-amp's / AMP's that don't have XLR inputs.

I don't have my A90 / D90 MQA yet, but as I've read that's how things stand. I'll update if I find any details worth adding after I get my stack set up.

DHL says Thursday is when my Topping A90 / D90 MQA arrive, and I'll likely get to setting it up this weekend - if not immediately. :)

Ok thanks, think might go for D90 DAC then since that means I can use the D90 DAC in this setup to my AVR, where the AVR is used to purely power the passive speakers and not using it's onboard DAC.

Thanks!

Sure can't wait for your setup update too!

mt196

Nowhere. audiophonics has pre-orders running slated to arrive 05/30, so by end of the month, but even if you pre-order you might not get one of the first batch which is probably sold out already... There is no EU stock anywhere, this product is a brand new release! :p pre-order = first order since launch.
Some people in EU have one already because they ordered from Chinese vendor early.
I imagine Audiophonics didn't ship yet, right?

mt196

Doesn't look like it. Then again mail and processing etc is slower than usual, right now.
I am getting the feeling that the ones that ordered after the button "pre-order" became available again on audiophonics (so not in the first days of pre-order) are not getting the first batch coming from Topping and that is why they are still waiting (2 weeks?).

At the same time no one seem to have received it from Audiophonics yet though (so this includes also people who preordered it the first days)

Veri

Master Contributor
I am getting the feeling that the ones that ordered after the button "pre-order" became available again on audiophonics (so not in the first days of pre-order) are not getting the first batch coming from Topping and that is why they are still waiting (2 weeks?).
I'm in the second group :D so I'm prepared to having a wait a little.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm deciding between the d90 or rme adi 2 dac I can't decide which to pair with my a90.
My D90 MQA sounds sooo good in my speaker system... I kinda want to leave it there. Today I’m switching D90 with ADI-2 v2 to see what happens... Both are great units though, top digital tech! Subjectively, I don’t find them to sound 100% identical despite their stellar performance. That’s what I’m trying to figure out - which one fits in better with my speakers and with my headphones. And how can I make the most out of the ADI-2 features.

Last edited:

Wazzupi

My D90 MQA sounds sooo good in my speaker system... I kinda want to leave it there. Today I’m switching D90 with ADI-2 v2 to see what happens... Both are great units though, top digital tech! They don’t sound identical despite their stellar performance. That’s what I’m trying to figure out - which one fits in better with my speakers and with my headphones. And how can I make the most out of the ADI-2 features.
Sounds like I'm waiting on your impressions haha plz tell once you've come to a conclusion.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

rjley 1 x 2 EchoChamber

Looks like this game is changing - seamless pads count for 2 (new rules). :)

Now, in all seriousness (right...), my subjective impression, the velour seem to complement the clean, low noise/distortion sound of the ADI-2 and A90 better, i get more definition in the highs. I'll also be evaluating the Sundara connected to the balance output before replacing the ADI-2 with the D90.

IMG_0999-2.jpg

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Ok, just plugged in the Sundara in balance and OMG, yes the A90 seems to bring the best out of it. They never sounded so good. Pardon my enthusiasm.. Good SINAD = good sound!

rjley

The only reason a good quality amp to have "sparkle" would be if it is distorting and hence increasing the highs. That is not the way to get sparkle. Just use an EQ in your favorite player and pull up the highs a bit.

Are you saying that distortion is causing the sound that I'm favoring? Maybe "sparkle" isn't the right word, it's more a clarity.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying that distortion is causing the sound that I'm favoring? Maybe "sparkle" isn't the right word, it's more a clarity.

Well, on the 789 it shouldn't be distortion. But (and I dont want to sound like the ASR stuck record), where you compare the 2 are you level matching so its not just simply a volume difference you are hearing? Im sure youre not going to go down the double blind testing route but , hey, theres a test there should you choose to.

Last edited:

rjley

Well, on the 789 it shouldn't be distortion. But (and I dont want to sound like the ASR stuck record), where you compare the 2 are you level matching so its not just simply a volume difference you are hearing? Im sure youre not going to go down the double blind testing route but , hey, theres a test there should you choose to.

The levels are the same. Actually I find the 789 has a bit more output if you're going by where the dial is. What's the other test you're referring to?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The levels are the same. Actually I find the 789 has a bit more output if you're going by where the dial is. What's the other test you're referring to?
Search on here for level matching. And double blind testing. Basically, there is a danger that you are "hearing" differences that aren't there. Those tests would remove that risk. But not easy to do, maybe not worth the effort. But the 789 may not have the "sparkle"you think it has, or the Topping lack it.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Sounds like I'm waiting on your impressions haha plz tell once you've come to a conclusion.
After spending the morning working and moving components around, I can NOT tell the difference between the D90 MQA and the ADI-2. This is guerrilla testing, not precisely level matched, only by ear, the ADI-2 output is higher, etc. And only subjective. If I had more time and the right set up I'd take the time to do it right. It is however how I'm using my headphone gear now, at my desk mostly. And mostly with the 177x (close backs) to be more isolated from external noises and get into the groove focusing on work.

I can however tell the difference between the 177x and the Sundara, one is connected in SE and the other balanced - not apples to apples, but close enough IMO. I plan to build a balanced cable at some point for the 177x... I can also tell the difference between leather and velour pads on the 177x. I perceive the Sundara having more body and weight sonically than the 177x in this test, both are equally detailed IMO and I can listen to them at low volumes with a ton of information perceived - this is quite something and I credit it to the clarity and low distortion of the A90.

So, @Wazzupi , my (very) subjective conclusion is that both DACs sound the same feeding the A90. I can't tell the difference with master Tidal tracks whether in MQA or not either. If you don't need all the excellent features the ADI-2 offers, I'd say go for the D90 (with or without MQA). I'll try to have some speaker time later today with the ADI-2 and see if these observations also translate in that system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom