• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Audioent

Youre welcome. I actually just went down this decision path myself and after research and I've heard the THX 789, I chose the D90/A90. Really good combo. It's extremely clean and has a lot of power and also a good feature set. To me the A90 sounded just as detailed as the THX 789 but more clean and smooth, it didn't have the slight harsh edge that the 789 seemed to have.
Is Topping A90+Topping D90 combination worth the extra 700 USD when compared with the Topping DX7 Pro alone? Which should I choose. I have Hifiman SUNDARA and Sennheiser HD 800s headphones.
Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
Is Topping A90+Topping D90 combination worth the extra 700 USD when compared with the Topping DX7 Pro alone? Which should I choose. I have Hifiman SUNDARA and Sennheiser HD 800s headphones.
Thank you
For your headphones consider upcoming D30 Pro + A30 Pro? They are just recently reviewed.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Thank you

Yes, in my opinion, you are getting more for the money, you get more power and the option to upgrade the dac or the amp in the future.

The A90 is a better amp too. You can always get the A90 and the cheaper dac for now, you can get a great balanced dac for 200-400 dollars.

The SU-9 is probably the best balanced dac (last time I checked), Ghessheli labs also has a balanced dac thats 250 with the USB card.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Yes, in my opinion, you are getting more for the money, you get more power and the option to upgrade the dac or the amp in the future.

The A90 is a better amp too. You can always get the A90 and the cheaper dac for now, you can get a great balanced dac for 200-400 dollars.

The SU-9 is probably the best balanced dac (last time I checked), Ghessheli labs also has a balanced dac thats 250 with the USB card.

or like Veri said wait for the D30 and A30, those look great too, depends how much power you need.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Update:
Got my replacement A90 in today. First one had a weird feel of the wipers in the pot. A minor issue but Apos replaced the amp absolutely no questions asked. Shockingly good service. Popped it open to confirm topping did indeed use thermal paste on the heatsink this time, applied well too. I tossed on some pads in it's place as that's what I've got on hand. Requires a 10inch key wrench to open so, beware there. Really nice build quality... Here are some PCB shots for the curious.
View attachment 68288
View attachment 68289
View attachment 68290

hey how did you open it up? does the back or front come off first?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
how did you get the screws on the inside of the front panel off? i dont think i have a screwdriver long enough.

GoldenOne

Not Active
Update:
Got my replacement A90 in today. First one had a weird feel of the wipers in the pot. A minor issue but Apos replaced the amp absolutely no questions asked. Shockingly good service. Popped it open to confirm topping did indeed use thermal paste on the heatsink this time, applied well too. I tossed on some pads in it's place as that's what I've got on hand. Requires a 10inch key wrench to open so, beware there. Really nice build quality... Here are some PCB shots for the curious.
View attachment 68288
View attachment 68289
View attachment 68290
Can you give any advice on how to get it open?
I've got the back panel off, every screw undone but the cover will not budge no matter how hard I try.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't follow the whole L30 story... so what's going on here? Any response from Topping? I also don't want my A90 frying my Empys...

Very simply put, some users here and elsewhere reported that L30s had failed and destroyed some HP drivers in the process. Topping investigated and found that the L30 could be vulnerable to high static shocks (more prevalent in dry winter months) which coould cause components to fail. DC current could then flow to the HP at levels far in excess of tolerance , killing the drivers.

They have amended the design and build (units with serial numbers 2012XXXXXX and on), offered exchange via retailers to anyone with a S/N before that. New units have been arriving with users the past couple of weeks.

Use that info how you wish. The bottom line is that amps can fry headphones in the right (wrong?) circumstances. The real challenge is knowing what controls are built into any given unit and how effective they are when faced with extreme conditions.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
It's typical ground loop issue.
The main reason is that A90 is earthed. It's crucial for something with internal power supply.
Suggestion from me is to return the A90 and wait for the L30. Otherwise I would recommend XLR connection.

Does the A90 put out more raw power then the Benchmark Audio HPA4?

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Anyone know if the A90 puts out more raw power then the HPA4 THX by Benchmark audio?

crm

Honest question from someone just starting with headphones. What is the audible difference between a a90 and lets say a benchmark hpa4?

Top Bottom