• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think that's a wise approach. However, your perception of the unit sounding better over time is not due to the components of a solid state device "burning in".

Anyhoo, this particular notion is off topic for the A90 thread. If you'd like to continue discussing burn in this is probably the best thread for it:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/equipment-burn-in-am-i-deluded.5339/
Agree, whatever it is, keeping it for a few days before passing final judgment is a good idea. My initial perception of the A90 has changed for the best and I love it. I feel I’m getting the most out of my music and my headphones with the A90 paired with a high performance DAC such as the D90.

VeerK

Since we are talking about subjective impressions, I’ll chime in with mine. I use my PC w/ EqualizerAPO to D90 to A90 to Focal Clear via XLR. I used to have the 887 before selling it and jumping to a Dayton headphone amp until the A90 came out. I was just blown away by the “black” background aka the lack of noise on the A90. It feels like I’m getting the full value of the headphones without having to crank the volume, I do -6dB on the D90 and about 50% on the A90 at low gain. With the Eq profile, the bass hits surprisingly hard and the midrange is just wonderfully clear. I haven’t used the 887 in months so I can’t ethically comment on the 887 vs the A90, but the A90 is so much better than the Dayton amp it’s hilarious. It’s nice to have a headphone amp and preamp this clean, it’s something I will never upgrade. Next plan is to buy the Emu Teak or TR-X00 for fun, and get to work on my next DIY studio monitors. Chain will still be D90 to A90 to (desktop speaker amp) to DIY speakers. Just bliss here :)

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since we are talking about subjective impressions, I’ll chime in with mine. I use my PC w/ EqualizerAPO to D90 to A90 to Focal Clear via XLR. I used to have the 887 before selling it and jumping to a Dayton headphone amp until the A90 came out. I was just blown away by the “black” background aka the lack of noise on the A90. It feels like I’m getting the full value of the headphones without having to crank the volume, I do -6dB on the D90 and about 50% on the A90 at low gain. With the Eq profile, the bass hits surprisingly hard and the midrange is just wonderfully clear. I haven’t used the 887 in months so I can’t ethically comment on the 887 vs the A90, but the A90 is so much better than the Dayton amp it’s hilarious. It’s nice to have a headphone amp and preamp this clean, it’s something I will never upgrade. Next plan is to buy the Emu Teak or TR-X00 for fun, and get to work on my next DIY studio monitors. Chain will still be D90 to A90 to (desktop speaker amp) to DIY speakers. Just bliss here :)

Did your old amps have background noise? I haven’t got my A90, but even on the far from STOTA DX7 Pro headphone out the background is indistinguishable from headphones being unplugged.

DavidH

Forum Donor
If you only go by what Zeos says, you're doomed.:eek: From what I remember: he only evaluates headamps power by the sensitivity of the volume plot...:facepalm:
Decent entertainer... terrible when he intends to sound any kind of "technical".
Thank you very much. Personally, I intensely dislike his videos but I'm not qualified to criticise/disagree with all his 'technical' statements, which is why I asked you. :cool:

NunzioLan

DAC's, Audio AMP's, RF AMP's, all manor of digital and analogue devices change characteristics as they "age" - or burn-in.

I learned early on as an audiophile to not "toss out" a new piece of gear just because it's not sounding good when I first power it on. I give it as long as the return period allows, running it day and night - enjoying it by listening to it, and most of the time it recovers it's expected graces and I keep it long term.

As a consumer I've experienced it every time I buy a new device and live with it day after day. I've noticed this burn-in effect since the 1970's, and I'm still hearing it today with my FiiO M15 - it's sound stage has improved and "mellowed out" - it wasn't harsh, but now it's even easier on the ears 2+ weeks later.

Nothing's changed over the years, except now more people are experiencing and recognizing it themselves.

Including Hi-fi Audio reviewers:

HI-FI AUDIO COMPONENT BREAK-IN (BURN-IN): FACT OR FICTION
John E. Johnson, JULY 29, 2019 EDITOR'S DESK EDITORIAL

"...I have increasingly become aware of an actual difference in the sound quality during my product testing. And, I mean, I could really perceive the difference. It is dramatic.

One DAC, for example, came with a recommendation of leaving the unit powered on for at least one day before making any critical judgments. Initially, I did not think about it. But, when I first turned it on, I noticed that the sound had an unpleasant harshness. After 8 hours, the harshness was reduced, and after 24 hours, it was completely gone. The DAC had a much smoother overall sound. It was dramatic enough that I decided to write this editorial.

What is the nature of audio component break-in (burn-in)?

As a scientist, I want to know how this process occurs..."
https://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/hi-fi-audio-component-break-in-burn-in-fact-or-fiction/

As an engineer I've had lots of experience with age related differences in electronic components - with ECO's and debugging / troubleshooting notes for technical staff when repairing equipment that is returned over decades of use. There are definite cycles of aging - and different reactions in different climates to component aging. But you say that's on the scale of months, years, and decades, what about initial burn-in - say in the 100 hour range?

That's what "burn-in" in manufacturing is used for in more critical applications of electronics. Those devices aren't simply assembled, tested, and packed up for shipping like consumer equipment. Nope. There are cycles of heating and cooling along with ambient temperature running of the components in board level and system level testing.

You don't hear about that because it's something not usually done for consumer equipment - the process is too expensive.

So for consumer gear it's your responsibility to do the "burn-in" testing - and as part of that you will hear audible differences in the sound produced in many gear. It's variable, but always there to some extent. A lot people don't notice it because of their own physiological variations from day to day will confuse or mask the aging sound of the gear through their ears.

Anyway, if you hear it great, if you don't hear it that's also great - whether you can perceive it or not, it's there either way so give your new gear as long as possible to "burn-in" before giving up on it.

As an aside, before I could "hear it" I could "perceive it" as "easier to listen to", not "getting on my nerves", rather than wanting to turn it off I want to keep listening to it. That's when I know it's turned the corner and burn-in is rounding the corner.

That happened with my M15 last week, and I turned around and decided to keep it. It now sounds too good to give it up, and I don't want to stop listening to it.

I fully expect the same burn-in audible improvements to happen with my new A90 and D90 MQA... :)

I am a neuroscientist and I can assure you that the perception of change that you call "burn in / break in" is just a process of getting used to in your mind. This is why it is often recommended to evaluate a device not exclusively, but comparing it in general with others so as not to be addicted to its sound. this is also the reason why most use crappy headphones, such as the ones given with many smartphones, without feeling the need for an upgrade.

NunzioLan

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh nice call ! I too had planned to buy them, maybe when the ebony would be available again on drop. I need a closed back can to use in the Lab while I work that is fun and excellent for long listening sessions.
I have read the ebony is not coming back. Very hard to find a used one for sale these days...

rjley

Agree with Arya over LCD-X or any other headphone in that price range. Great headphone. Love it.

Now that I have Arya's, all my other headphones that I thought sounded unbeatable now sound ******. (LCD-X, Beyer dynamic T1.2)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have several questions to ask and comments:

a) Why does not Amirm measure the crosstalk of Topping A90 (which even on their site, for a balanced amplifier, should be way better than stated), as well as for D90?

b) I have had an awful, costly experience with D90, which is likely to occur with A90 too! In short, the mains cable to D90 got loose in its socket, with the amplifier on, and the terrible, powerful impulses that resulted (without D90 shutting down, having any protection, as it should) just ruined my audio system, consisting in D90,vMassdrop THX AAA, Sennheiser HD800, Benchmark AHB2, and KEF Q950. None of these work any longer as they used to! That is likely to occur with A90 as well, which features the same mains socket and plug! Benchmark delivers a specially locking-in mains cable, which prevents such incidents! The 220/110V cable should either feature an autolock or just be unremovable! Now I need to have all of the audio equipment replaced by, courtesy of Topping! I also own Topping D50, which has worked for years wonderfully!

Anyway, I presently returned the Topping D90 to the vendor!

c) I wonder why D90 features a voltage selector, which may be wrongly activated and burn the equipment? Was it too difficult to have voltage get selected automatically?

d) Years ago, we had very detailed guides to using computers as transports! I still wonder what Bios and Windows settings, and soft players, can really enable "bit-perfect" auditions! Otherwise, having most advanced DACs and amplifiers in a system that is not feed even 16bit signal is useless! I do wish Amirm will measure and write a guide to the best motherboard, processors and Bios settings to use!
You know that majority of products even higher than the price range don't have the lock in power socket right?
And it's almost impossible to implement protection for plug being accidentally unplugged. Yet all the protection is activated if you use the actual on/off switch in the front.
I have not seen any devices that features transformer to be able to select voltage automatically. SMPS equipped devices like A90 and newer benchmark devices can work at a high range of input voltages that's why it's not needed for those products.
I doubt anything except your speakers or headphones are harmed in this. The procedure of plug unplug, switch on/off on the back in testing all the time. Consequences like this never happened. Maybe you are unlucky idk. You can ask any body else on this. They will tell you it's just unfortunate. Surely a lock in socket was going to prevent this. But have you considered everything else in your house that doesn't have that feature yet didn't cause any issue? Idk man.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well. You know what's funny. We just had a power cut for a few minutes, a few minutes ago. None of the devices(multiple d90 a90 l30 d10 d50 etc) in the room is damaged.
a lock in socket can't save you from the power cut, can it? But the damage shouldn't happen in the first place....

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several questions to ask and comments:

a) Why does not Amirm measure the crosstalk of Topping A90 (which even on their site, for a balanced amplifier, should be way better than stated), as well as for D90?

b) I have had an awful, costly experience with D90, which is likely to occur with A90 too! In short, the mains cable to D90 got loose in its socket, with the amplifier on, and the terrible, powerful impulses that resulted (without D90 shutting down, having any protection, as it should) just ruined my audio system, consisting in D90,vMassdrop THX AAA, Sennheiser HD800, Benchmark AHB2, and KEF Q950. None of these work any longer as they used to! That is likely to occur with A90 as well, which features the same mains socket and plug! Benchmark delivers a specially locking-in mains cable, which prevents such incidents! The 220/110V cable should either feature an autolock or just be unremovable! Now I need to have all of the audio equipment replaced by, courtesy of Topping! I also own Topping D50, which has worked for years wonderfully!

Anyway, I presently returned the Topping D90 to the vendor!

c) I wonder why D90 features a voltage selector, which may be wrongly activated and burn the equipment? Was it too difficult to have voltage get selected automatically?

d) Years ago, we had very detailed guides to using computers as transports! I still wonder what Bios and Windows settings, and soft players, can really enable "bit-perfect" auditions! Otherwise, having most advanced DACs and amplifiers in a system that is not feed even 16bit signal is useless! I do wish Amirm will measure and write a guide to the best motherboard, processors and Bios settings to use!

Wait, the power plug on the D90 came loose and destroyed your entire audio system? How is that damage even possible?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering the same thing. But if that happened, that's very unfortunate and I feel sorry for him.

did you have the power cable plugged directly into the wall or a surge protector?

Top Bottom