• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

mt196

I would buy Hifiman Arya and cheaper dac+amp for that budget. I'm personally going for Ananda + E30 + L30
I would go lcd-x honestly, much better build quality than hifiman (even though I only know 400 and 560, so maybe these new flagship hifiman are better in build quality)

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ananda and SE stack is optimal! Great picks.

Thanks!

I would go lcd-x honestly, much better build quality than hifiman (even though I only know 400 and 560, so maybe these new flagship hifiman are better in build quality)

Price difference is way too much 700 vs 1200 especially for me. I prefer Ananda sound as well but i agree their build quality not at the Audeze level.

Veri

Master Contributor
Mean arya?
I auditioned the entire hifiman line (except Susvara) without looking at prices and Ananda was my fav. It also needs a lot less power than Arya/HE6 etc. Pairing Ananda with a single ended top-tier amp would result in a more or less "affordable" top of the line sound which I would be a very big fan of :)

dcolak

He wasn't commenting on the quality of the headphones, more that if your total cost envelope is in that sort $1500 - $2000 area, you'd get more value for money spending a larger proportion on the headphones.

I don't think there is something better than Ananda or HD 800 S... Different? Sure. Better? I doubt it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think there is something better than Ananda or HD 800 S... Different? Sure. Better? I doubt it.

I'm assuming you have owned or at least listened to the Ananda? I havent . I have the 800 (non S) and a few others . The 800 are my favourite (or maybe joint with the LCD X). Of course , budget no barrier I would love to listen to some of the current $2k plus kings of the jungle.

But I think Mav's point about the proportions of your overall budget stands. No doubt the new Topping 90s are damn good, but maybe not 2/3 of your DAC/AMP/HP good.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned the entire hifiman line (except Susvara) without looking at prices and Ananda was my fav. It also needs a lot less power than Arya/HE6 etc. Pairing Ananda with a single ended top-tier amp would result in a more or less "affordable" top of the line sound which I would be a very big fan of :)

Ah , sorry, you replied to post saying Arya. Thought you were affirming that option. The only HP I have a burning desire to try (I mean own, of course) is the HE6- intrigues me.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah , sorry, you replied to post saying Arya. Thought you were affirming that option. The only HP I have a burning desire to try (I mean own, of course) is the HE6- intrigues me.
It would intrigue me too if only it weighed less :D... I'm a sucker for light HPs. Thick (durable) and thus weighty earcups are nothing for me.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Looks like A90 + D90 is the new endgame for those that can afford it.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA is a D90 thing. The A90 will play whatever the DAC decodes and sends as an analog signal. I don't need an MQA sticker and I certainly don't want to pay for MQA on a DAC. I like that Topping sells the D90 both ways, with and without MQA - buyers choice.

Martin

MalinYamato

Top Bottom