• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 278 82.7%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
@marekm just saying but you can probably use mid gain or even low gain with higher volume levels, instead high at -55dB I would think :)

Enjoy the lovely set-up!

marekm

There is no mid gain. I could indeed use low gain, but even on high gain I occasionally go up to -40 dB (HD660S2). Background is totally silent and with high gain, I have this notion (not necessarily true) that the sound has greater dynamic range.

I also have serious doubts about real-life power numbers of Topping amps. I am not an expert, nor do I want to start a heated discussion here, but based on my user experience, I would have never guessed the power numbers that Topping is publishing for this amp.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no mid gain. I could indeed use low gain, but even on high gain I occasionally go up to -40 dB (HD660S2). Background is totally silent and with high gain, I have this notion (not necessarily true) that the sound has greater dynamic range.

I also have serious doubts about real-life power numbers of Topping amps. I am not an expert, nor do I want to start a heated discussion here, but based on my user experience, I would have never guessed the power numbers that Topping is publishing for this amp.
Because power numbers are not guessed but measured or sometimes you can get and idea by sacrificing your hearing and trying to push as hard as amp give up.

marekm

All I know, is that A70 Pro is the most powerful of all my headphone amps only on paper. I judge my equipment with headphones and these are my conclusions.

Like I said, I have no desire to get into a discussion here, so over and out.

Pell22

All I know, is that A70 Pro is the most powerful of all my headphone amps only on paper. I judge my equipment with headphones and these are my conclusions.

Like I said, I have no desire to get into a discussion here, so over and out.

only on paper = NO

The output figures have already been measured. Maybe a Difference with the volume level.

marekm

So how long have you been listening on your A70 Pro ?

marekm

Love would be an exaggeration, but I do appreciate the fact that A70 Pro remembers individual settings of the 3 headphone outputs and each can be "switched" On or Off as needed. Very convenient :)

Gggggas

Love is surely an exaggeration but after comparing it to the A90D and my higher end SPL Phomnitor XE I am very impressed with its performance. It's very punchy and has an amazing slam while maintaining all the great characteristics that the A90D has but with a better soundstage plus providing unlimited power. I also find the new display and UI easy to use with plenty of features. Also if you pair it with a R2R DAC like the Gustard R26 that I use , the staging and warmth become even better.

ommadusk

What's love? It's a feeling.

Last edited:

marekm

Any new cases of A70 duds ?

Perhaps, it was just an early batch with glitches ? Has Topping responded ?

Gggggas

Any new cases of A70 duds ?

Perhaps, it was just an early batch with glitches ? Has Topping responded ?
I was told by their service department that they are following the situation and that they'll keep me informed, so no official statement yet though I have personally been using the device without problems for over a week now.

DearSX

I've had mine about 2 months, no issues so far. Compared to my DX3Pro+ it has way way more power and I really really like the screen, interface and features. I want to get a DSP preamp/DAC, but this is one is so nice. Apos charges a 20% restock fee + shipping, so I'm not sure I want to return it yet for a miniDSP Flex.

DX3p+ is fine for my desktop listening, but I can turn the volume all the way up on my Heiman XS and I know they want more. At low/moderate volumes its fine, but D70Pro is more effortless.

Last edited:

marekm

MBO

I am faced with the question of which is better, SMSL SP400 or A70Pro?
I have both Amps at home and can't decide which stays, the sound is very different..

Top Bottom