• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
The sound cuts out WITHOUT anything connected to the amp. I can tell because of the FFT dropping out at the same parts of songs.
That's a strong indication for DC content being present in the song.

Try applying a High-pass filter to the audio, that should fix it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
ScHoolboy Q - Yeern 101
Wow,what is that?

Yeern.PNG

Sokel

Master Contributor
Apart from bring a loud track, what is catching your eye there?
It's not about loud or bass heavy or something,it's about the content below 10Hz,here's how a well made,bass-spiked looks like:

The turn.PNG

Evanescence -Artifact/The turn

No doubt there's lots like the Yeern,but...

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Yes lots of DC content

Well spotted
I don't understand how they dare to publish these erroneous tracks that can damage the equipment that reproduces them.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't understand how they dare to publish these erroneous tracks that can damage the equipment that reproduces them.
It's not as bad as it looks and in an ideal world that would not exist.
But it's more the rule and not the exception.

If I would design gear I would take that into consideration,for example many pro-gear don't allow that.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If I would design gear I would take that into consideration,for example many pro-gear don't allow that.
RME ADI-2 DACs got a firmware update that have DC content detection and it pauses output briefly.

You can enable or disable this as you wish.

Anyone with an RME that have the A70Pro amp and can test these tracks, with DC detection on vs off.

marcom22

Very interesting and I want to thank everyone, especially Sokel. So if I understand correctly the problem can be linked to the presence of Subsonic Frequencies, is this correct?
Thank you.

P.s. I remember that Amirm reported this problem in some Amp reviews where the amp went into protection for frequencies equal to or lower than 10Hz. Sorry DC content stays for?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Very interesting and I want to thank everyone, especially Sokel. So if I understand correctly the problem can be linked to the presence of Subsonic Frequencies, is this correct?
Thank you.

P.s. I remember that Amirm reported this problem in some Amp reviews where the amp went into protection for frequencies equal to or lower than 10Hz. Sorry DC content stays for?
Yes,it would be better to be a filter there,some include it (like the one @Music1969 reported) some don't.
But such freqs shouldn't be there.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thank you.

Do you have the chance to borrow an RME ADI-2 FS DAC , for free?

With latest firmware, enable DC protection and see if amp still cuts out (or if DAC catches it).

Then we can conclude not a problem with Topping at all

Or as @staticV3 said, add a high pass filter in your EQ, only allow above 20Hz

marcom22

Do you have the chance to borrow an RME ADI-2 FS DAC , for free?

With latest firmware, enable DC protection and see if amp still cuts out (or if DAC catches it).

Then we can conclude not a problem with Topping at all

Or as @staticV3 said, add a high pass filter in your EQ, only allow above 20Hz
I try it with Jriver this evening ....... stay tuned. Thanks so much.

Imaraptor

That's a strong indication for DC content being present in the song.

Try applying a High-pass filter to the audio, that should fix it.
Any specific settings in my EQ? I set a high pass filter on the 20Hz frequency. My gain auto set, and the Q filter changed to 2.99. I will try it out some tonight. I apologize everyone for the songs listed. I am new to all of this and don't know how to read that super well. I just figured out some EQing (not well enough to apply a high pass filter apparently lol). I appreciate all of your help!

I also think yall might be thinking that I'm the guy who just randomly started reviewing headphones lol, that was not me. I had a busy day.

Imaraptor

It's not about loud or bass heavy or something,it's about the content below 10Hz,here's how a well made,bass-spiked looks like:

View attachment 356327

Evanescence -Artifact/The turn

No doubt there's lots like the Yeern,but...
Thanks Sokel for the insight! Could you help me understand where you see the DC? I see how much lower the frequencies extend in Yeern, but I don't understand the rest.

Imaraptor

It's not as bad as it looks and in an ideal world that would not exist.
But it's more the rule and not the exception.

Oh, is that why my cheaper dac/amps will play the songs without cutting out but this amp won't? Because the pro gear is trying to protect itself, but the cheap stuff would eat the DC and harm itself?
How do I avoid tracks with DC in the future?
Thanks for your help!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I apologize everyone for the songs listed.
Don't apologise, we need to know the songs to try and reproduce.

People just complaining without sharing info to allow others to reproduce, it gets nowhere.

Like yelling at the clouds.

marcom22

If this is a DC content issue, i dont think you can blame Topping

As has been mentioned many times, DACs are good at dealing with its... what DAC model are you using ?

I am using RME ADI-2 and A70Pro and no issue with those tracks....
Try to listen some Vinyl Rip from PBthal or Doctor and come back here .....The problem is the Amp not The Dac ...... so I must Buy a Rme Dac to work?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Oh, is that why my cheaper dac/amps will play the songs without cutting out but this amp won't? Because the pro gear is trying to protect itself, but the cheap stuff would eat the DC and harm itself?
How do I avoid tracks with DC in the future?
Thanks for your help!
DC is the 0Hz.
It's not about cheap or expensive,is more about choices and how one implements the filter ,some are way too sensitive.
In most of the songs you will maybe see some content at 0Hz but it's low on level,usually under -65db and it's mostly the combination of DC and level that may trigger a sensitive filter.

I would prefer a well made filter or even one not so good than none.
DC can cause mayhem down the chain.

BUT,DC is not only about songs,a broken DAC for example can output DC which eventually or suddenly can cause problems.
The sensible thing to do is get a DMM (even a cheap one) put it in the DC scale and test the outputs of the devices,that's what I do out of the box,without even plugging them for the first time.
Why?
Because DC will be amplified down the road and can damage speakers,headphones,etc.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The problem is the Amp not The Dac ...... so I must Buy a Rme Dac to work?
Ideally songs should not have DC but failing that: DC should be blocked at the DAC - before 0Hz gets amplified...

What DAC do you use?

Top Bottom