• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
i have the same problem on mine. i wish topping would use better knob without this loose feedback.
It would've been fixed long ago if there's a better solution. The channel matching is just great in this configuration with these pots.

testek

It would've been fixed long ago if there's a better solution. The channel matching is just great in this configuration with these pots.

i don't feel that way on daily use. the volume knobs on other gear i own are very precise without this loose feedback, sound changes as soon as i move them (as it should), so there is better solution already. and i'm not talking channel matching, it's the give (knob moving before actually doing something) i dislike.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
i don't feel that way on daily use. the volume knobs on other gear i own are very precise without this loose feedback, sound changes as soon as i move them (as it should), so there is better solution already. and i'm not talking channel matching, it's the give (knob moving before actually doing something) i dislike.
Yeah. Because I went for channel matching and noise performance. The trade off must be here.

4udio

I understand your decision but it does feel awkward for user : wobbly joystick on D50s and wobbly volume pot on A50s.
Soundwise both do sound really nice for the money.

4udio

How does the 1/4 SE performance compare to the JDS Atom Amp?
Do you want subjective or measurements comparison ?
Measurements could be found on this forum so you can compare by yourself. In general: Atom has more power into SE than A50s.
Subjectively : A50s sounds cleaner with better separation. I have both and they do sound different on both SMSL SU-9 and Topping D50s.

SeaNNyT

Do you want subjective or measurements comparison ?
Measurements could be found on this forum so you can compare by yourself. In general: Atom has more power into SE than A50s.
Subjectively : A50s sounds cleaner with better separation. I have both and they do sound different on both SMSL SU-9 and Topping D50s.

Interesting, I already own the D50s and have been pairing it with the Atom Amp.

TomB19

... they do sound different on both SMSL SU-9 and Topping D50s.

How do you find the SMSL vs Topping DACs?

I like the D50S but it does have a bit of grain. Lately I've been running on filter 3 and that has improved it so I'm pretty happy.

jawbfl

Is the balance on A50s a "true balance" (2 circuits)? I'm contemplating the following:
- Atom ~$145
- L30 ~$139
- A50s ~$199
For context I have a Sundara and plan to get a cable depending on this choice (4.4 or 1/4). I plan to keep using my Macbooks's DAC for now and get a matching DAC later, A50s doesn't stand that far in terms of price for the bonuses of balance and a nicer build, but to complete the stack the D50s ($250) will shift things significantly unless it goes down in price next year. What do you think?

Edit: A50 is way cheaper than A50s what's the difference?

Last edited:

4udio

Is the balance on A50s a "true balance" (2 circuits)? I'm contemplating the following:
- Atom ~$145
- L30 ~$139
- A50s ~$199
For context I have a Sundara and plan to get a cable depending on this choice (4.4 or 1/4). I plan to keep using my Macbooks's DAC for now and get a matching DAC later, A50s doesn't stand that far in terms of price for the bonuses of balance and a nicer build, but to complete the stack the D50s ($250) will shift things significantly unless it goes down in price next year. What do you think?

A50s has more than enough power on 4.4 for Sundara. But both Atom and L30 have enough power for same headphones. Some reviewers said that A50s BE sound better that L30 SE but I don't know if that is true.

Problem with Toppind D50s is that you need some clean power source to get nice sound from it but that means you should spend at least $50 extra and then price is ~$300. In case you want P30, price will be closer to 400$ . For that money there is better choice e.g. SMSL SU-9.
But Topping stack does look sexy :)

Attachments

• ToppingStack.jpg
    ToppingStack.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

jawbfl

@4udio I have no intention of spending that much, I'm looking for best value since my budget is actually $200, I might stretch it only if I'm getting a big upgrade.
A50s to D50s connection isn't balanced so I don't see an advantage to the D50s expect the look, so I will only get a D50s if I got the A50s and it dropped in price significantly, it looks like D50s is where Topping is making the most profit, A50s is the lead magnet and P50 is the "coup de grâce".
Do you know any differences between A50s and A50?

4udio

@4udio I have no intention of spending that much, I'm looking for best value since my budget is actually $200, I might stretch it only if I'm getting a big upgrade.
A50s to D50s connection isn't balanced so I don't see an advantage to the D50s expect the look, so I will only get a D50s if I got the A50s and it dropped in price significantly, it looks like D50s is where Topping is making the most profit, A50s is the lead magnet and P50 is the "coup de grâce".
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with A50. I've read that A50s uses different architecture and that's all.
If you don't need balanced output , both L30 and Atom are good choice but I think that 145$ price is a bit too much for Atom considering build quality (completely made out of plastique, very light and , reported by some reviews, volume pot can have channel disbalance)

jawbfl

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with A50. I've read that A50s uses different architecture and that's all.
If you don't need balanced output , both L30 and Atom are good choice but I think that 145$ price is a bit too much for Atom considering build quality (completely made out of plastique, very light and , reported by some reviews, volume pot can have channel disbalance)

Yup shipping is high, Atom is just $99 or $89 B-stock, I contacted JDS but they don't plan to switch back to USPS anytime soon due to high loss rate. Looks like all budget amps have some issue, Liquid spark and L30 get hot, Atom has poor build, Heresy suffers from QC issues, maybe I should just save up some more and get Element II or roll a dice.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yup shipping is high, Atom is just $99 or $89 B-stock, I contacted JDS but they don't plan to switch back to USPS anytime soon due to high loss rate. Looks like all budget amps have some issue, Liquid spark and L30 get hot, Atom has poor build, Heresy suffers from QC issues, maybe I should just save up some more and get Element II or roll a dice.
L30 don't really get much hotter than Atom.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well D50s is heavy with full CNC aluminium block. Cost a lot to manufacturer and to ship. And for it's one of the cheaper dual 9038q dac out there.
A50s is a internal complete redesign with much much better performance. Also it has 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
- Atom ~$145
- L30 ~$139
- A50s ~$199

Edit: A50 is way cheaper than A50s what's the difference?
That's really up to you. You don't have to get the matching dac either.
Better yet. Just get the E30 L30 dac. Can't go wrong with those.

kkeretic

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with A50.

I have Sundara, D50s and both A50 and L30. Both of these amps sound perfectly equal. A50 has more power than L30 on unbalanced, so even more than A50s. With its price drop can't think of anything better for the money than A50 if balanced is required and if one can still find it. L30 is also fantastic amp for Sundara and for the price. IMHO A50s makes sense only if balanced output is mandatory.

TomB19

I'm glad I'm not an audio equipment manufacturer because I'd lose my shit when things like pot backlash are presented as problems when 98% of people wouldn't even notice and 1.9% of those that notice it would realize it's not relevant.

The A50s volume pot is fine and works very well. There is no issue.

The D50s joystick looks OK and also works well but it's a tiny bit cheap looking, for my taste.

The A50s/D50s/P50 stack is a beautiful set of gear that produces wonderful sound quality. I like the size of the volume knob, also. This equipment is a pleasure to own, look at, and use.

Thank you, Topping.

4udio

I have Sundara, D50s and both A50 and L30. Both of these amps sound perfectly equal. A50 has more power than L30 on unbalanced, so even more than A50s. With its price drop can't think of anything better for the money than A50 if balanced is required and if one can still find it. L30 is also fantastic amp for Sundara and for the price. IMHO A50s makes sense only if balanced output is mandatory.

I'm using SE for my close back headphones that are not demanding at all and BE for Sennheiser HD 6XX. I've both A50s for 170$ new so I think it was really good deal.

I'm glad I'm not an audio equipment manufacturer because I'd lose my shit when things like pot backlash are presented as problems when 98% of people wouldn't even notice and 1.9% of those that notice it would realize it's not relevant.

The A50s volume pot is fine and works very well. There is no issue.

The D50s joystick looks OK and also works well but it's a tiny bit cheap looking, for my taste.
I'm the one of those that actually notice such things but I don't mind it as long as usability and durability is not compromised (confirmed by JohnYang1997).

The A50s/D50s/P50 stack is a beautiful set of gear that produces wonderful sound quality. I like the size of the volume knob, also. This equipment is a pleasure to own, look at, and use.

Thank you, Topping.
I agree.

Top Bottom